ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

NESHAY

Im having the same problem with my laptop, but its only noticeable in intense games like rdr2. I start with 50-60 fps and go down to low 30s. Its definetely thermal throttling, since my warranty already expired Im going to repaste it, but since you just bought it I wouldnt recomend you doing it. One thing that helps me is undervolting the cpu and maxing out the fans.

Hey guys. The problem for me is that my laptop is under performing like crazy but its not consistent. In apex legends I am getting 60-80 fps with everything set to low. In COD warzone i am only getting 45-65 fps on everything set to low. The witcher 3 runs at 45-65 fps depending on the location with everything set to ultra. I am using bios Version 300 downloaded from asus website and installed it through winflash. I have also downloaded the AMD drivers because it did not support vulkan before i installed it. I am using the latest nvidia drivers. My GPU temperatures are 75-80 while gaming and my cpu temps go upto 95 but i did not notice any throttling since the clock speed does not decrease, it generally fluctuates around 3700mhz. Does anyone know whats the issue?

Guys i think i found solution temporary to stop throttling, just max these settings at "Ryzen Controller":

Temperature Limit (C): 110

CPU TDP (W): 60

CPU Boost Period: 3600

CPU Boost TDP (W): 60

CPU Min TDP (W): 60

These options allow you to play smoothly but remember it can cuase sometimes malfunction and your device can get pretty hot but you wont have drop fps or throttling again.

Just test it guys and tell me the results

And i have little problem, i dont know why but sometimes my screen freezes especially at windows start up when it gets to loggin or when im playing and press win button it freezes, do you have any idea how can i fix this?

my bios version is 300 and all drivers are update

• 4 weeks later...
On 2020/3/28 at AM1点16分, IXMachina said:

大家好。对我来说,问题在于我的笔记本电脑的性能表现异常疯狂,但并不一致。在最高传说中,我将获得60-80 fps的帧,并且一切设置都较低。在COD warzone中,所有设置为低的东西我都只能获得45-65 fps。巫婆3的运行速度为45-65 fps(视位置而定),所有设置均设为“超”。我正在使用从华硕网站下载的BIOS版本300,并通过winflash安装了它。我还下载了AMD驱动程序,因为它在安装前不支持vulkan。我正在使用最新的nvidia驱动程序。游戏时我的GPU温度为75-80,我的CPU温度达到95,但我没有注意到任何节流现象,因为时钟速度没有降低,通常在3700MHz左右波动。有人知道是什么问题吗?

I have exactly the same problem. It seems in warzone the gpu usage stays really low at 40%, and it's the same in csgo and pubg in mine. Don't know if we share the same trouble.

On 2020/2/3 at PM8点06分, xHyPnOtiZeDx said:

嗨,大家好,

很高兴看到我不是唯一遇到此问题的人。我上周五买了我的Ga502Du。我安装了一个没有操作系统的操作系统,安装了Windows 10 Pro,进行了所有更新,并立即注意到pubg上的FPS从100-120变为7-4fps。非常恼火的是,我在这里阅读了整个部分,并且在第1天一直尝试使用Ryzen Controller和ArmourCrate。通过修复,我可以在低设置下获得稳定的发布匹配。它仍然落后于此。我注意到即使在使用浏览器的情况下,如果在大多数基本任务中一秒钟都变得毫不犹豫,它也会产生节流作用。我看到你们已经参加了一段时间,而且看不到任何解决方法。我想我会把我的东西送回来。

我使用的是Ryzen 7 2.3,配备16GB RAM和1660 ti Max-Q。

哦,男孩,我认为我会度过一个有趣的游戏周末 :( 

I'm using the GA502DU too, but when playing pubg at 720p low settings the fps drops under 60, not playable at all. May I know your drivers version and the windows pro version?

Hi everybody, i got my laptop approximately for 5 month, its an asus zephyrus g ga 502 du and it got the throttling issue. When i play war thunder it stay at 100-120 fps in lobby, but when i enter the match instantly the fps drop to 10-18 fps. I expected the bios update will fix the problem but it hasn't. I don't know much about computer like how to set the ryzen controler/msi after burner. This is my firs gaming laptop, and i used it for collage (civil engineering program and gaming) and this issue really made me very sad, especially when asus don't care regarding this  issue. I hope someone can help me because i know you guys are better and kinder than asus.

I dont know how to view that graph you guys shown, so i just put a graph from asus armory crate. I know nothing about this, but i think it's unstable.

Capture.PNG

After hours and hours of testing, I've found the best solution thanks to everyone here. Those plates on the fan have to be removed. Period. No ifs and or buts.They're supposed to prevent dust from entering but the design is so poor. I placed water on the black film and water doesn't even go thru! Effectively, it just blocks airflow which defeats the purpose of a fan. Secondly, be on BIOS 300 and make sure ur updated on drivers. Using the MyAsus app seems to work. Thirdly, run Amoury Crate in performance mode. Fourth get MSI Afterburner and OC the GPU 100 and the mem clock 1000. Perfect! After weeks and hours of experiment, this setup is the only one that work. Good luck to all!

21 hours ago, dakota_96 said:

After hours and hours of testing, I've found the best solution thanks to everyone here. Those plates on the fan have to be removed. Period. No ifs and or buts.They're supposed to prevent dust from entering but the design is so poor. I placed water on the black film and water doesn't even go thru! Effectively, it just blocks airflow which defeats the purpose of a fan. Secondly, be on BIOS 300 and make sure ur updated on drivers. Using the MyAsus app seems to work. Thirdly, run Amoury Crate in performance mode. Fourth get MSI Afterburner and OC the GPU 100 and the mem clock 1000. Perfect! After weeks and hours of experiment, this setup is the only one that work. Good luck to all!

I decided I'm going to remove them soon, because even with turbo mode and a cooling base it stills gets throttled to 1.4GHz. I think if needed they can be pasted back to avoid voiding warranty.

I don't think however bad cooling is the real problem of this laptop. I think all laptops overheat and get throttled when used at max capacity. You may be right that cooling is specially bad with this one, but I'm pretty sure there are tens of laptops in the market with the same bad cooling. I think what really sets this one apart is 2 things:

1. Lame decision of bios starting up the laptop in silent mode, which always leads to slowdown unless you have armory/whatever to move it to regular mode.
2. Throttling cannot be reversed until reboot.

We can do the workarounds we want, and they may work perfectly. Leaving it wide open, putting it in the fridge, but still I think there is no sane way to explain the 2 points above. The surprising thing is they keep releasing new BIOS versions that don't fix any of above issues (I see they just released v302). It would be amazing to have some internal info from the devs of wtf is happening, just for the laughs.

2 hours ago, lamername said:

I decided I'm going to remove them soon, because even with turbo mode and a cooling base it stills gets throttled to 1.4GHz. I think if needed they can be pasted back to avoid voiding warranty.

I don't think however bad cooling is the real problem of this laptop. I think all laptops overheat and get throttled when used at max capacity. You may be right that cooling is specially bad with this one, but I'm pretty sure there are tens of laptops in the market with the same bad cooling. I think what really sets this one apart is 2 things:

1. Lame decision of bios starting up the laptop in silent mode, which always leads to slowdown unless you have armory/whatever to move it to regular mode.
2. Throttling cannot be reversed until reboot.

We can do the workarounds we want, and they may work perfectly. Leaving it wide open, putting it in the fridge, but still I think there is no sane way to explain the 2 points above. The surprising thing is they keep releasing new BIOS versions that don't fix any of above issues (I see they just released v302). It would be amazing to have some internal info from the devs of wtf is happening, just for the laughs.

I forgot to add that I'm using a cooling base as well. Without it running the GPU OC +150 and Mem +500 in performance mode works as well. That black film over the fan is the oddest design I've ever seen. It let's zero airflow in. Once that was removed, it was a world of difference. I'm still on BIOS 300. Scared to try BIOS 302 since it's working perfectly now. They need to do a recall on this unit and take care of that cooling fan film.

I've been battling with this thing since April of last year when I bought it. I just installed the 302 BIOS when it released a couple days ago and did a clean install of Windows.

So I had two issues with this laptop.

1. The infamous .39GHz/400MHz bug

So far the .39GHz core clock bug hasn't been seen yet for me. When I did my clean install of Windows I also installed, from AMD directly, their 2.04.04.111 chipset drivers. I would install ASUS's Armory crate software, but Valorant blocks it from opening it seems, so I can't use it to regulate fan and temp control.

2. Boot drive, uh, not booting(infinite ROG load screen of death at BIOS)

For this I ended up having to install a secondary M.2 drive(in the second slot), opted for a 256GB NVME I had lying around, and in the BIOS deleting the first M.2 from being bootable(the stock Intel 660p). Once I did that, I installed Windows onto the secondary drive and had the BIOS use that for the primary boot option. Ever since then, the laptop has been booting up perfectly fine.

When I did the 302 BIOS update, it obviously reset the BIOS and I immediately encountered the same ROG screen of death and once I deleted the first M.2 everything went back to normal, again. I have not tried swapping the M.2 drives to see if it's the slot or the drive, but I know it's not Windows as I have installed various Linux distros(including the latest Ubuntu 20.04) onto it and the problem continued, so it's definitely the drive, slot, or BIOS, or even a combination of the three.

So, if anyone has an unstable GA502DU, I'd recommend installing the 302 BIOS. It seems to have fixed my major problem for the core clock bug. I've been playing Valorant and Guild Wars 2 on it for the past couple of days without issues.

I removed those covers and started to hear an annoying fan coil whine in balanced mode on the cpu side, it dissapears on silent but I had to cover it again.

I decompiled the 302 bios version with a dsdteditor tool and comparing with the previous 300 and it is the same, I thought maybe they changed some values because the size is the same between the two versions (16779264 bytes), but nope.

I hope some day they will fix the svm + uvm issue on the bios, when is selected "enable svm" (kvm virtualization) the uvm (vram) goes down to 256MB when auto option is selected, it has to be set to 2048MB, changing to 1GB or 128MB doesnt work, I have to disable "fast boot" to make it work.

Hey, I just got this laptop on the 4th of May, and I've been have massive frame drops in game, it'll go from 120+ FPS down to 10FPS for 7 seconds and then back. I've even timed it and it's almost exactly around the 7 seconds mark give or take ( Human Error).  Also the GPU Clock speed goes from 1300+ MHZ down to 350MHZ at the lowest, which is what's causing the frame drops. 

I've tried everything from downgrading to BIOS 300, installing every update, restarting, and even completely uninstalling both graphics drivers and reinstalling them. If anyone has any other tips that may work i'd love to hear them. Also i'm probably not going to remove the fan plates/vent covers, just because i don't want to void my warranty. 

On 5/5/2020 at 2:02 PM, AmberSand said:

I removed those covers and started to hear an annoying fan coil whine in balanced mode on the cpu side, it dissapears on silent but I had to cover it again.

I decompiled the 302 bios version with a dsdteditor tool and comparing with the previous 300 and it is the same, I thought maybe they changed some values because the size is the same between the two versions (16779264 bytes), but nope.

I hope some day they will fix the svm + uvm issue on the bios, when is selected "enable svm" (kvm virtualization) the uvm (vram) goes down to 256MB when auto option is selected, it has to be set to 2048MB, changing to 1GB or 128MB doesnt work, I have to disable "fast boot" to make it work.

I've never used any mode lower than Performance. Have u tried performance mode? I don't here any coil whine in that mode.

On 5/6/2020 at 4:16 PM, DillonM said:

Hey, I just got this laptop on the 4th of May, and I've been have massive frame drops in game, it'll go from 120+ FPS down to 10FPS for 7 seconds and then back. I've even timed it and it's almost exactly around the 7 seconds mark give or take ( Human Error).  Also the GPU Clock speed goes from 1300+ MHZ down to 350MHZ at the lowest, which is what's causing the frame drops. 

I've tried everything from downgrading to BIOS 300, installing every update, restarting, and even completely uninstalling both graphics drivers and reinstalling them. If anyone has any other tips that may work i'd love to hear them. Also i'm probably not going to remove the fan plates/vent covers, just because i don't want to void my warranty. 

U could glue the fan plates and cover back. I doubt they'd even notice for warranty purposes.

My experience with removing the plates: no difference at all (regarding throttling). I'm 100% convinced that the problem with this laptop (at least my unit) is exclusively a BIOS/CPU design issue (not being able to switch back from throttled mode/entering throttling mode when it does not make any sense).

Once the laptop is using fans correctly (either through Armory Crate on Windows or Linux kernel 5.6 with asus_wmi driver enabled), there is almost no issues left. The only issue I hit every time is: just after stopping Overwatch (in Linux) I get throttled to 1.4GHz (until reboot). I can be playing for hours and the laptop goes at 3GHz+, no problem, but exit the game and *boom*. If anyone using Linux has suggestions I'm happy to hear.

Can someone with this laptop do me a favor and run the final fantasy XV benchmark and share their score with this laptop? 1920x1080 and standard settings (fullscreen)?

benchmark here: http://benchmark.finalfantasyxv.com/na/

I'm curious because my score seems low for a 1660 ti and I want to see what others are getting.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:26 PM, lamername said:

My experience with removing the plates: no difference at all (regarding throttling). I'm 100% convinced that the problem with this laptop (at least my unit) is exclusively a BIOS/CPU design issue (not being able to switch back from throttled mode/entering throttling mode when it does not make any sense).

Once the laptop is using fans correctly (either through Armory Crate on Windows or Linux kernel 5.6 with asus_wmi driver enabled), there is almost no issues left. The only issue I hit every time is: just after stopping Overwatch (in Linux) I get throttled to 1.4GHz (until reboot). I can be playing for hours and the laptop goes at 3GHz+, no problem, but exit the game and *boom*. If anyone using Linux has suggestions I'm happy to hear.

It made a huge difference for me. I went from 93C to 80C max running a shadow of the tomb raider benchmark. I also used Ryzen Controller to set VRM 30 CPU max temp set to 100. The GPU temp wasn't affected as much as this unit is severely, 100%, CPU bound from the TR benches. From 80C max to 77C was the GPU improvement. I even have the GPU OCed by 200 at the core and 500 at the mem. Running in performance mode with a laptop cooler. 

7 hours ago, cbutters2000 said:

Can someone with this laptop do me a favor and run the final fantasy XV benchmark and share their score with this laptop? 1920x1080 and standard settings (fullscreen)?

benchmark here: http://benchmark.finalfantasyxv.com/na/

I'm curious because my score seems low for a 1660 ti and I want to see what others are getting.

I got 6818 High.

Thanks for posting your results

I got 6680, 

I tried this on a 1660 Ti laptop with an Intel 9750H and it got over 80,000.

Valley Benchmark on the GA502du = 90 FPS; on the 1660 Ti Laptop w/ Intel 9750H = 133FPS

Frametime issues in VR applications on the GA502du as well... Not Sure if there is a way to fix this.

I have had this annoying throttling issues since I bought this laptop and since updating to the new 302 BIOS the issue has gone away entirely. It's been about a week with no FPS drops.

I will post back if anything changes.

I am RMAing this for a noisy rattling GPU fan - and I requested RMA a week ago and I haven't heard from the courier. I followed up with ASUS 5 days ago who said they cant help me as its up to the courier now. Terrible customer service.

They're hopeless, and this will be the last ASUS product I own.

14 hours ago, cbutters2000 said:

Thanks for posting your results

I got 6680, 

I tried this on a 1660 Ti laptop with an Intel 9750H and it got over 80,000.

Valley Benchmark on the GA502du = 90 FPS; on the 1660 Ti Laptop w/ Intel 9750H = 133FPS

Frametime issues in VR applications on the GA502du as well... Not Sure if there is a way to fix this.

I think u might have an extra 0 in ur 80,000 number. I also have a Lenovo Y545 which has the i7-9750H and the 1660 Ti which just scored 8612. This is with the GPU OC 200 and mem 500. 

The ASUS GA502 has a far weaker CPU, more comparable to an i5. Also the 1660 in it is the max-Q variant which is weaker than the ordinary 1660 ti. So, around the mid to high 6000 seems about right.

7 hours ago, kieranimal said:

I have had this annoying throttling issues since I bought this laptop and since updating to the new 302 BIOS the issue has gone away entirely. It's been about a week with no FPS drops.

I will post back if anything changes.

I am RMAing this for a noisy rattling GPU fan - and I requested RMA a week ago and I haven't heard from the courier. I followed up with ASUS 5 days ago who said they cant help me as its up to the courier now. Terrible customer service.

They're hopeless, and this will be the last ASUS product I own.

I guess I should just return mine. I'm concerned about the longevity of this unit especially cauz it runs hot. With Asus support being the way they are, it's not worth the stress.

6 hours ago, dakota_96 said:

think u might have an extra 0 in ur 80,000 number. I also have a Lenovo Y545 which has the i7-9750H and the 1660 Ti which just scored 8612. This is with the GPU OC 200 and mem 500. 

The ASUS GA502 has a far weaker CPU, more comparable to an i5. Also the 1660 in it is the max-Q variant which is weaker than the ordinary 1660 ti. So, around the mid to high 6000 seems about right.

Whoops you are right; I meant 8000

You are also right that the laptop with the 9750H has a full blown 1660 Ti.

What's strange is that I also was playing with a Yoga C940 with 1650 Max-Q (limited to 40 watts on that device) I tweaked the undervolt curve and memory a lot and I was getting a 5562. Crazy that the 1660 Ti Max-Q on the ga502du only does 15-20% better than a 1650 max-q

For me the GA502du 1660 Ti seems mostly unresponsive to undervolt curves and memory overclocks; I guess it is just CPU bound?

Also; what tweaks \ undervolts \ mem overclock \ (ryzen controller?) \ power mode did you do your benchmarking in? I'd take a 6818... for some reason I cant even match the 6680 I got the other day and I'm stuck at 6205 (sigh)

Also: Is there any memory overclocking software capable of tweaking the memory? desktop ryzen thrives on higher ram speeds... The bios doesn't show any options; but I'm wondering if we could tweak the memory bus speed up to 3000 or so; my guess is that it would improve bandwidth quite a bit.

2 hours ago, cbutters2000 said:

Whoops you are right; I meant 8000

You are also right that the laptop with the 9750H has a full blown 1660 Ti.

What's strange is that I also was playing with a Yoga C940 with 1650 Max-Q (limited to 40 watts on that device) I tweaked the undervolt curve and memory a lot and I was getting a 5562. Crazy that the 1660 Ti Max-Q on the ga502du only does 15-20% better than a 1650 max-q

For me the GA502du 1660 Ti seems mostly unresponsive to undervolt curves and memory overclocks; I guess it is just CPU bound?

Also; what tweaks \ undervolts \ mem overclock \ (ryzen controller?) \ power mode did you do your benchmarking in? I'd take a 6818... for some reason I cant even match the 6680 I got the other day and I'm stuck at 6205 (sigh)

Also: Is there any memory overclocking software capable of tweaking the memory? desktop ryzen thrives on higher ram speeds... The bios doesn't show any options; but I'm wondering if we could tweak the memory bus speed up to 3000 or so; my guess is that it would improve bandwidth quite a bit.

Yes, it's 100% CPU bound. I ran the benchmark  for the Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the CPU has never caught up to the GPU. This Ryzen 7 3750H is a POS CPU. I posted my tweaks a few posts up. Also, the big key is removing the metal plates with the black covering.  We're looking at a 13C difference. The amount of airflow with them remove is like night and day. Putting ur hand by the vents and you'll immediately notice the difference. It's a poor design choice by Asus in an attempt to keep the dust out. Also use a laptop cooler.