ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

NESHAY

@Siavash My advice would be to try and return it and get your money back as soon as possible. 

Got my 502DU back from repair. Fan started grinding right away.I found they put a bunch of screws in the wrong holes which is a joke...after putting them in the correct place  it's been fine.....will see how it goes.

I have another 502DU that has died entirely which i have setup for RMA as well. These laptops have not been good to me :D

On 6/8/2020 at 12:23 AM, NESHAY said:

@Siavash My advice would be to try and return it and get your money back as soon as possible. 

i want to but unfortunately i cant

2 minutes ago, Siavash said:

i want to but unfortunately i cant

and i kinda like this device, i just want them to release a stable bios cuz in the past people who bought this laptob was ok with i think 205 or 204 bios version

1 minute ago, Siavash said:

and i kinda like this device, i just want them to release a stable bios cuz in the past people who bought this laptob was ok with i think 205 or 204 bios version

and everyone knows how powerfull this device is, the only problem is power throttling

On 6/15/2020 at 1:09 PM, Siavash said:

and everyone knows how powerfull this device is, the only problem is power throttling

I know, I like it too. did you try the latest 302 BIOS. I herd it makes things a lot more stable.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:06 PM, NESHAY said:

I know, I like it too. did you try the latest 302 BIOS. I herd it makes things a lot more stable.

yeah but the problem still happens in heavy loads

2 minutes ago, Siavash said:

yeah but the problem still happens in heavy loads

and more anoying thing is you dont get max performance

1 minute ago, Siavash said:

and more anoying thing is you dont get max performance

cuz of 89 temp lock in Armoury

So now after sending it in for "repair" both of my fans make grinding noises. Clearly there was no testing done on the unit before they sent it back. I'm beyond pissed off at the whole situation. I've had oen laptop die, then it had grinding fans, and another laptop with grinding fans, and both throttling to 400mhz

EDIT: I've found the fan set on amazon which I may order and do myself. But who knows if it'll work. Probably a manufacturing issue I would assume at this stage.

https://www.amazon.com/HK-Part-GA502DU-GX505DW-GX505DV-Cooling/dp/B088FCLWR5?ref_=nav_signin&

Thanks, guys. This laptop is a one big disappointment. I handed over this laptop to the Asus service center.  They said if the problem is not fixed, they will recognize it as defective and return the money.  Unfortunately, BIOS 302 did not help him.  It got better, but the error still skips.  What can you advise from Intel laptops within 1250 dollars (I live in Russia, therefore, within 85,000 rubles)?

Hi guys,

I bought the GA502DU a few weeks ago from Best Buy. I got a returned one that still looked brand new for a few hundred less than a new one would have cost. This laptop also suffered from the 400mhz locked CPU issue. I included a pic of my laptop running Prime95 and CPU temps and current clock speed. I didn't install Armory Crate. I really don't like the Microsoft store and I avoid it like the plague.

What I did do was to install the Ryzen Controller app from Github. When I first opened it I had task manager opened showing 0.39Ghz. Before I even opened any settings in the app it had already changed the speed of the proc to 2.4Ghz. After rebooting the machine several times it did not revert to 0.39Ghz. I played a few games and noticed really high fan speed so I opened CPUTemp and noticed mid 80's in temps. I had previously opened the case to install a Sabrent 2TB NVMe and a 16Gb 2666 So-Dimm and had noticed the fan holes being blocked. I removed the metal plates and the thin black plastic shims covering them and then removed the heatsinks, cleaned the dies on both GPU and CPU and applied new thermal paste.

At the time of this writing Prime95 has been running for about an 1:15 hours and the CPu temps are sitting at 67C at 3.4Ghz. If there is any other information anyone needs from me (IE what ver. Bios, Win 10 build etc.) Just ask.

20200627_082937.jpg

2 hours ago, Dehietyi said:

Hi guys,

I bought the GA502DU a few weeks ago from Best Buy. I got a returned one that still looked brand new for a few hundred less than a new one would have cost. This laptop also suffered from the 400mhz locked CPU issue. I included a pic of my laptop running Prime95 and CPU temps and current clock speed. I didn't install Armory Crate. I really don't like the Microsoft store and I avoid it like the plague.

What I did do was to install the Ryzen Controller app from Github. When I first opened it I had task manager opened showing 0.39Ghz. Before I even opened any settings in the app it had already changed the speed of the proc to 2.4Ghz. After rebooting the machine several times it did not revert to 0.39Ghz. I played a few games and noticed really high fan speed so I opened CPUTemp and noticed mid 80's in temps. I had previously opened the case to install a Sabrent 2TB NVMe and a 16Gb 2666 So-Dimm and had noticed the fan holes being blocked. I removed the metal plates and the thin black plastic shims covering them and then removed the heatsinks, cleaned the dies on both GPU and CPU and applied new thermal paste.

At the time of this writing Prime95 has been running for about an 1:15 hours and the CPu temps are sitting at 67C at 3.4Ghz. If there is any other information anyone needs from me (IE what ver. Bios, Win 10 build etc.) Just ask.

Particular thermal paste brand you used? Also any particularly 'heavy' games you've tried and what ave fps and temps you got? Thanks!

1 hour ago, KatHV said:

Particular thermal paste brand you used? Also any particularly 'heavy' games you've tried and what ave fps and temps you got? Thanks!

Not much on really new games however I am running Fallout 4 at max settings with about 250 mods. I'm currently building a few other modded games, Skyrim, No Man's Sky etc. I do have Borderlands 3 on the laptop I can run that in a bit and get back to you. As for the TIM I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Normally I use Arctic Silver 5 but I wanted to try TG as I've heard good things.

5 hours ago, KatHV said:

Running Borderlands 3 with DX12 Benchmark Graphics Quality Low: 75-100FPS, Graphics Quality Medium: 65-83FPS, Graphics Quality High: 45-60FPS, Graphics Quality Ultra: 38-53FPS.

CPU Temps: 75-87.5C

GPU Temps: 75-78C

Keep in mind both the CPU and GPU share the same heat pipes so both of their temps will usually be within 5-10C of each other.

I wanted to share my experiences with this specific laptop.

So I had/have two issues with this thing.

First, obviously, the Core Clock Bug. For Windows I had to install the Armoury Crate service driver thing, I installed it from ASUS's website though, not from the Microsoft/Windows Store. My ASUS button on the keyboard doesn't bring up the Armoury service, so I'm assuming it only installed the driver and not the full software suite. I was not aware of the Ryzen Controller program from storm1er, I'll have to try this after my next Windows reinstall.

For Linux, I can confirm that it has a stable clock speed on Kernel 5.7.6. Supposedly a patch for this laptop was provided in Kernel 5.6.X, but I only tested 5.7.6 since it's the latest and I just installed Linux Mint 20 on it to try some dual booting goodness.

Second issue, this is bizarre, but I cannot boot from the primary M.2 slot, it just does an infinite black screen boot loop. I'm not sure if the M.2 drive is going bad(stock 660p), if it's the slot, or just the BIOS being stupid. But I fixed this by installing a second M.2 drive in the secondary M.2 slot, installing Windows/Linux onto it, and then going into the BIOS and DISABLING the primary M.2 slot to be bootable. This fixed my booting issues 100%. I haven't tried swapping the drives/slots around since the laptop has been working fine. But this will break if you reinstall/upgrade/reset the BIOS and you have to re-disable the primary slot again.

Honestly, I wish I never bought this laptop. I feel like it's just been issue after issue and when I reached out to ASUS Support they wanted me to RMA the laptop and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of paying for shipping and then just getting a broken product back, which seems to be the case for 99% of people RMA'ing this laptop...

7 hours ago, Dehietyi said:

Running Borderlands 3 with DX12 Benchmark Graphics Quality Low: 75-100FPS, Graphics Quality Medium: 65-83FPS, Graphics Quality High: 45-60FPS, Graphics Quality Ultra: 38-53FPS.

CPU Temps: 75-87.5C

GPU Temps: 75-78C

Keep in mind both the CPU and GPU share the same heat pipes so both of their temps will usually be within 5-10C of each other.

I don't have borderlands 3 so I can't exactly compare. But judging from the temperatures of the CPU, I can see some improvements. What is your ambient (room) temperatures currently? 

Also I do have No man's sky vanilla though, I would like to also ask if you can post your temps and fps while playing that game. I run No man's sky at max settings, mostly constant 60 fps other than times like when mining it drops to around mid 40s. CPU temps are rather toasty on my side, constantly hovering at 89 C with occasional 90-91s C hot. Though this is at an ambient temperature of 30-32 C (tropical country, no air conditioning).

Modification I did was i removed the 'paper-like' thingies blocking the bottom vents, not the metal plates though. And I also have a laptop cooler pad.

7 hours ago, KatHV said:

I don't have borderlands 3 so I can't exactly compare. But judging from the temperatures of the CPU, I can see some improvements. What is your ambient (room) temperatures currently? 

Also I do have No man's sky vanilla though, I would like to also ask if you can post your temps and fps while playing that game. I run No man's sky at max settings, mostly constant 60 fps other than times like when mining it drops to around mid 40s. CPU temps are rather toasty on my side, constantly hovering at 89 C with occasional 90-91s C hot. Though this is at an ambient temperature of 30-32 C (tropical country, no air conditioning).

Modification I did was i removed the 'paper-like' thingies blocking the bottom vents, not the metal plates though. And I also have a laptop cooler pad.

No Man's Sky on highest settings also getting 60FPS.

CPU temps: 60-86.3C

GPU temps: 60-72C

Ambient Temp: 23C

So good news is that on this really small test it looks like you are getting max FPS.

Bad news is that the thing that will really help is to drop your ambient temps.

Personally I don't really see much of a difference in medium settings vs highest. You might try playing around with them and seeing if it drops your temps.

On 6/17/2020 at 12:36 PM, NESHAY said:

Hi. The BIOS 302 realy more stable. In GTA 5 on max setting (max quality and 8x msaa) this trouble was 6 times when I have been playing for 20 minuts. But I did not use the ryzen controller.

Asus acknowledged the malfunction in this laptop and wrote it off.  It doesn't matter how long ago you bought it.  If you can’t fix it, return it. 

15 hours ago, Nafanail_Martinson said:

Asus acknowledged the malfunction in this laptop and wrote it off.  It doesn't matter how long ago you bought it.  If you can’t fix it, return it. 

Is there an official statement from Asus? Like a link of some sort. 

Hi everyone! Been following this thread. Originally I tried softwares and changing all kinds of windows settings before seeing the Bios 302 fix. I updated the Bios to 302 and factory restored my computers to fix all the settings I’ve changed, performance seems a lot more stable compared to out-of-box in April. Temperatures before the Bios update would reach 90C on Turbo, now they don’t even hit 80. (I removed the fan coverings a week ago.)

However, when looking at benchmarks for Apex legends it shows on 1080p low settings this machine should get 150+ FPS, which I do not. I get about 70 - 110 FPS, everything low and Nvidia Control panel to favor performance, Power management plan on High performance.

If the benchmarks are true, Is there maybe someone knowledgeable with settings and optimizations who may be able to help me with some set up? I’d like to get the most of this 144hz FreeSync monitor I’ve bought. (Is there performance loss using the device’s HDMI port over the usb c display port? My HDMI supports 144hz.)

My goal I’d like to achieve is Stable FPS in Apex, which I do not know how to achieve, wether it be at 144FPS or even just at 100 or so, whatever this machine is truly capable of.

Thank you to all who have provided info in our journey, and thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to give me addition info for my case! (This is my first gaming PC.) 

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tested with the new 304 BIOS? Any changelog? 

9 hours ago, mussifer said:

Has anyone tested with the new 304 BIOS? Any changelog? 

Just installed it this morning.