Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

On 10/8/2020 at 10:59 PM, mussifer said:

Has anyone tested with the new 304 BIOS? Any changelog? 

With v302 on june using geekbench I had :

single core: 1000
multi core: 3975

Now with v304

single core: 1033
multi core: 3835

On 10/10/2020 at 5:04 PM, AmberSand said:

With v302 on june using geekbench I had :

single core: 1000
multi core: 3975

Now with v304

single core: 1033
multi core: 3835

Are you experiencing any throttle with this BIOS? I'm still having some frame drops on some games due to thermal throttle.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:04 AM, NESHAY said:

Hi all,

I just bought ROG Zephyrus G GA502. Laptop came without OS installed. After signalling Windows 10 and all drivers I am experiencing frame drops in games.

I tried lowering the settings below what NVIDIA GeForece experience suggested but I still get the same issue. the game looks fine and runs fine for firs couple of minutes and the frame rate is decent but then it suddenly starts dropping from 60+ to less then 10 FPS. Games a I tested were COD BO4 and Warthunder. It the same issue with both games but BO4 is harder to play. I moved over from an older i5 and 750ti to this laptop hoping to have better gaming experience.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for what I should try or if you need any other info regarding this.

Than you in advanced. 

I know it's kinda late. But, have figured out the fix yet???

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

On 10/15/2020 at 2:43 AM, PiberiusWilde said:

I know it's kinda late. But, have figured out the fix yet???

Only thing I was able to do is to update the BIOS to the latest version. System is stable now while in game but I heard some complaints that the performance is not as it was used to be nut in my experience it almost eliminated the frame and CPU clock drops. 

2 hours ago, NESHAY said:

Only thing I was able to do is to update the BIOS to the latest version. System is stable now while in game but I heard some complaints that the performance is not as it was used to be nut in my experience it almost eliminated the frame and CPU clock drops. 

Yea I know about those fixes with bios update. I think what Asus's done it by actually limiting the CPU and GPU to reach about 80-85oC. But, looks like you guys with their "Gaming" laptop gets a smooth voltage and throttling curve.

But not for us that are using their mid-low end laptop with dGPU on them. I mean the CPU voltage curve is fine I guess, keeping it on 80-82oC under full load. But, the way they control the voltage for the GPU to maintain 70-75oC is horrible here.

Let me use "Speed in mph" for ease of understanding my explanation.

Lets say under normal condition the GPU is going at 60 mph. Most other manufacturer actually set a smooth throttling curve so there will be no major stuttering. So these manufacturer say to their GPU "Hey too hot fast slow down a bit!" and GPU lower it's speed from 60 to 50 mph. On the other hand Asus has set a really aggressive voltage and throttling curve they say this "Hey too hot SLOW DOWN B***H!!!!" and the GPU slows down from 60 to 10 mph and the Asus then says "Okay now ACCALARATE BACK TO 60!!!" This happened again and again through out gameplay.

So you get my explanation here. So every few minutes there will be massive stutters when the frames just tanks, because the GPU actually lower it's clocks to even below their base clock

After a year of trying to figured out a fix I finally found one. Which is actually limiting the FPS so the GPU don't pushes itself too hard and reaches that thermal threshold. I actually make a video for my own laptop

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!