ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

NESHAY
On 10/8/2020 at 10:59 PM, mussifer said:

Has anyone tested with the new 304 BIOS? Any changelog? 

With v302 on june using geekbench I had :

single core: 1000
multi core: 3975

Now with v304

single core: 1033
multi core: 3835

On 10/10/2020 at 5:04 PM, AmberSand said:

With v302 on june using geekbench I had :

single core: 1000
multi core: 3975

Now with v304

single core: 1033
multi core: 3835

Are you experiencing any throttle with this BIOS? I'm still having some frame drops on some games due to thermal throttle.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:04 AM, NESHAY said:

Hi all,

I just bought ROG Zephyrus G GA502. Laptop came without OS installed. After signalling Windows 10 and all drivers I am experiencing frame drops in games.

I tried lowering the settings below what NVIDIA GeForece experience suggested but I still get the same issue. the game looks fine and runs fine for firs couple of minutes and the frame rate is decent but then it suddenly starts dropping from 60+ to less then 10 FPS. Games a I tested were COD BO4 and Warthunder. It the same issue with both games but BO4 is harder to play. I moved over from an older i5 and 750ti to this laptop hoping to have better gaming experience.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for what I should try or if you need any other info regarding this.

Than you in advanced. 

I know it's kinda late. But, have figured out the fix yet???

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

On 10/15/2020 at 2:43 AM, PiberiusWilde said:

I know it's kinda late. But, have figured out the fix yet???

Only thing I was able to do is to update the BIOS to the latest version. System is stable now while in game but I heard some complaints that the performance is not as it was used to be nut in my experience it almost eliminated the frame and CPU clock drops. 

2 hours ago, NESHAY said:

Only thing I was able to do is to update the BIOS to the latest version. System is stable now while in game but I heard some complaints that the performance is not as it was used to be nut in my experience it almost eliminated the frame and CPU clock drops. 

Yea I know about those fixes with bios update. I think what Asus's done it by actually limiting the CPU and GPU to reach about 80-85oC. But, looks like you guys with their "Gaming" laptop gets a smooth voltage and throttling curve.

But not for us that are using their mid-low end laptop with dGPU on them. I mean the CPU voltage curve is fine I guess, keeping it on 80-82oC under full load. But, the way they control the voltage for the GPU to maintain 70-75oC is horrible here.

Let me use "Speed in mph" for ease of understanding my explanation.

Lets say under normal condition the GPU is going at 60 mph. Most other manufacturer actually set a smooth throttling curve so there will be no major stuttering. So these manufacturer say to their GPU "Hey too hot fast slow down a bit!" and GPU lower it's speed from 60 to 50 mph. On the other hand Asus has set a really aggressive voltage and throttling curve they say this "Hey too hot SLOW DOWN B***H!!!!" and the GPU slows down from 60 to 10 mph and the Asus then says "Okay now ACCALARATE BACK TO 60!!!" This happened again and again through out gameplay.

So you get my explanation here. So every few minutes there will be massive stutters when the frames just tanks, because the GPU actually lower it's clocks to even below their base clock

After a year of trying to figured out a fix I finally found one. Which is actually limiting the FPS so the GPU don't pushes itself too hard and reaches that thermal threshold. I actually make a video for my own laptop

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I know this thread is old and hasn't gotten a new reply in quite a few months. However, a new BIOS update for the GA502DU dropped a couple days ago (2021/01/15). Does anybody know if this BIOS version improves performance or temperatures, even slightly?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

My friend if you want a stable gaming experience limit the max cpu in power settings to 99% max it cuts the frames out it's only 70% usage MHW runs fine.

• 5 months later...

July 2021. Issue still persists even with latest BIOS. ROG Zephyrus G GA502 severe frame drops due to abysmal cooling. CPU gets clocked at 391mhz and stuck there, ruining performance. Newest Armory Crate, newest BIOs, nothing works because the problem is with Asus terrible design. I will never buy another Asus product for the rest of my life. Screencap showing issue and CPU throttling ruining gameplay: https://i.imgur.com/1nu9IRO.png

• 2 months later...

CPU throttling in latest BIOS 306 17/03/2021.

Setting profile to silent underclocks the CPU, resulting in no CPU throttling due to temps. 

However, the issue is the performance takes a huge hit. 

I believe manually undervolting the CPU in the BIOS will resolve the issue and allow you to keep the performance, but yet to try this out, will update tomorrow. 

Update:

BIOS 306 is locked and not possible to adjust voltage. 

Currently using Ryzen Controller again but still experiencing throttling but less often. 

Will continue to troubleshoot with different BIOS versions and update. 

On 6/27/2020 at 1:32 PM, Dehietyi said:

Hi guys,

I bought the GA502DU a few weeks ago from Best Buy. I got a returned one that still looked brand new for a few hundred less than a new one would have cost. This laptop also suffered from the 400mhz locked CPU issue. I included a pic of my laptop running Prime95 and CPU temps and current clock speed. I didn't install Armory Crate. I really don't like the Microsoft store and I avoid it like the plague.

What I did do was to install the Ryzen Controller app from Github. When I first opened it I had task manager opened showing 0.39Ghz. Before I even opened any settings in the app it had already changed the speed of the proc to 2.4Ghz. After rebooting the machine several times it did not revert to 0.39Ghz. I played a few games and noticed really high fan speed so I opened CPUTemp and noticed mid 80's in temps. I had previously opened the case to install a Sabrent 2TB NVMe and a 16Gb 2666 So-Dimm and had noticed the fan holes being blocked. I removed the metal plates and the thin black plastic shims covering them and then removed the heatsinks, cleaned the dies on both GPU and CPU and applied new thermal paste.

At the time of this writing Prime95 has been running for about an 1:15 hours and the CPu temps are sitting at 67C at 3.4Ghz. If there is any other information anyone needs from me (IE what ver. Bios, Win 10 build etc.) Just ask.

20200627_082937.jpg

What BIOS/UFEI version were/are you running during these benchmarks? 

• 3 months later...

hey guys i think i found a permanent solution

atleast for me 

CPU -  AMD RYZEN 3750H

GPU -  GTX 1660TI MAX Q 

most of the newbies like me are confused as between 1660ti desktop   vs    1660ti max q 

1660ti desktop uses 80W power      and        1660ti uses 60W power   

so here the story  

the problem is not cpu throttling , problem is gpu throttling

and the gpu was getting way more voltage then required 

so after fresh installing of everything , windows , drivers ,  nvidia , amd etc etc 

things you need 

msi afterburner 

geforce experience performance chart (advanced)

and uniengne heaven 4  for gpu performance 

Now 

1660ti max q base and boost clock speeds are these   1140mhz - 1340 mhz 

so open msi afterburner - then curve graph - then set the voltage and clock speed as    ----->     0700mv for voltage  and 1450mhz for clock speed and hit apply ,   the whole graph should be a straight line , now hit save and apply windows tab on msi afterburner 

and thats it , your gpu temperatures will not go more than 84  in normal mode and between 80 to 82  with turbo mode on of the asus armoury crate , and you will get a constant clock speeds of around 1350   to 1440 mhz i.e   constant frame rates of 90 i think so........

do not overclock it more than 1500mhz cause its still 160mhz more than the boost clock speeds of 1660ti max q 

thanks and enjoy guys !!

also if you can manual set the mode of armoury crate as CPU --  between 80 and 100

and GPU as between  90 and 100   , it will help you in keeping temperatures controlled between 79 to 82 degrees 

btw  i am of BIOS 306 latest 

if i did anything wrong , please tell me that also , as i am just a newbie for these overclocking things ,  so please tell me 

i dont want laptop getting blown away with these settings hahaha........

1 MORE update 

i think i hit a sweet spot 

voltage 0730mv 

clock speed 1600mhz  

the temperate stays at 80 degrees with extreme gaming and boost clock stays at 1575 mhz , so almost a constant lag free game 

1 more update 

voltage 0737mv 

clock speed 1600mhz 

played gta 5 with default very high settings , graphic card usage was about 2500mb in gta 5 settings , 144hz refresh rate 

clock speed was almost constant at 1590mhz , just a little variation of +/- 30mhz 

not a single lag , getting fps of 70-75 constantly 

I THINK THESE ARE THE BEST SETTINGS FOR ASUS ROG ZEPHYRUS GA502DU 

SO YEAH THIS IS ALL OVER FINALLY.............. !!!

ok last and final update 

just open rog armory crate 

manually set cpu and gpu at 90-100 % for both and hit apply

i dont know what happened but system automatically pushes its limits and temperature never goes beyond 84 

no thermal throttlling of both gpu and cpu 

no need for any msi afterburner , no undervolting , nothing 

just a miracle it was .....

On 1/21/2022 at 10:35 PM, Neonstrekk said:

ok last and final update 

just open rog armory crate 

manually set cpu and gpu at 90-100 % for both and hit apply

i dont know what happened but system automatically pushes its limits and temperature never goes beyond 84 

no thermal throttlling of both gpu and cpu 

no need for any msi afterburner , no undervolting , nothing 

just a miracle it was .....

Hello.
Could you help me in Armory crate I can't find the values to reduce the percentages, 
could you help me with a guide.

please update to the latest aroury crate 

and then there is bar near TURBO mode as MANUAL 

FROM THERE hit both CPU and GPU as between 90 and 100 

and thats it

1 more update 

set both CPU and GPU at 100% fan speed in asus armoury crate 

installed red dead redemption 2 

easily playable game at 45-50 fps in ultra settings 

no lag , nothing , 

no cpu throttling and gpu throttling 

gpu tempertures never went beyond 82-83C     

always set V SYNC ON ,and  never go beyond 60 FPS in any game , so that the gpu shouldnt takes more load , always play under 60fps and you will see the miracles of this laptop . not a single lag i saw till now 

i think it is worth every penny for this latop

also the geekbench results were like this 

for cpu       

930 for single core 

3500 for multicore 

CUDA score with GTX 1660ti max q 

its almost working similar as GTX 1660ti desktop version 

i must say 6 months ago i was frustrated with this laptop , but now its working like a charm !!

AND LAST LET ME TELL YOU HOW TO FULLY SETUP YOUR LAPTOP , EACH AND EVERY DRIVER 

1 . clean install windows 10/11 , whatever your want . 

2.  connect with wifi and dont set your wifi on metered connection , or else it will not download and install all the drivers that the laptop wants .

3 . windows will automatically install   MY ASUS ,  AMD RADEON SETTINGS LITE ,  NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL 

4. go to windows update and install all the drivers , whatever the windows wants . do no interrupt the downloading of drivers 

5.    now go to MY ASUS ,  and check for updates , windows leaves 2 driver updates always , you have to manually install them all the time , they are the main reason why the CPU doesnt work properly 

1st update is for realtek audio driver which is not a big problem , but still its good to update it 

2nd is the AMD CHIPSET DRIVERS , this update is very important for your CPU 

6. do not install AMD CHIPSET DRIVERS from the AMD site , just always install it from MY ASUS software

7. restart your pc 

NOW 

8. dont not install  AMD RADEON ADRENALINE drivers, its of no use , system has already amd radeon lite settings installed . 

9. download geforce experience and within geforce exp .  install latest game ready drivers ,  right now its 511.11 something

10. download direct x from windows site and install it , you do not have to install it again and again when installing different games , so its just for 1 time 

11.  download and install microsoft c++  from windows site , i think its 6.0 for now the latest  

12. now download only the asus ARMOURY CRATE driver . they have updated to i think 5.0  , so there's a new insterface 

now this the most important part 

whenever you play a game , open armoury crate , go to mannual mode , set both GPU and CPU limits from 0 - 100      to     100-100    and hit apply 

both fans will instantly go to full speed and the system automatically pushes the limits of CPU and GPU to 100%  , and you will experience a lag free game .

ENJOY GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2022 at 3:47 PM, Neonstrekk said:

AND LAST LET ME TELL YOU HOW TO FULLY SETUP YOUR LAPTOP , EACH AND EVERY DRIVER 

1 . clean install windows 10/11 , whatever your want . 

2.  connect with wifi and dont set your wifi on metered connection , or else it will not download and install all the drivers that the laptop wants .

3 . windows will automatically install   MY ASUS ,  AMD RADEON SETTINGS LITE ,  NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL 

4. go to windows update and install all the drivers , whatever the windows wants . do no interrupt the downloading of drivers 

5.    now go to MY ASUS ,  and check for updates , windows leaves 2 driver updates always , you have to manually install them all the time , they are the main reason why the CPU doesnt work properly 

1st update is for realtek audio driver which is not a big problem , but still its good to update it 

2nd is the AMD CHIPSET DRIVERS , this update is very important for your CPU 

6. do not install AMD CHIPSET DRIVERS from the AMD site , just always install it from MY ASUS software

7. restart your pc 

NOW 

8. dont not install  AMD RADEON ADRENALINE drivers, its of no use , system has already amd radeon lite settings installed . 

9. download geforce experience and within geforce exp .  install latest game ready drivers ,  right now its 511.11 something

10. download direct x from windows site and install it , you do not have to install it again and again when installing different games , so its just for 1 time 

11.  download and install microsoft c++  from windows site , i think its 6.0 for now the latest  

12. now download only the asus ARMOURY CRATE driver . they have updated to i think 5.0  , so there's a new insterface 

now this the most important part 

whenever you play a game , open armoury crate , go to mannual mode , set both GPU and CPU limits from 0 - 100      to     100-100    and hit apply 

both fans will instantly go to full speed and the system automatically pushes the limits of CPU and GPU to 100%  , and you will experience a lag free game .

ENJOY GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi! Can you please show me how to do the Curve editor?