ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

NESHAY

Had the throttling issue today with 302 BIOS. This is stupid. Sending mine for RMA tomorrow for the noisy fan. Both my laptops now have this issue

Edited by kieranimal
added more info

Hello everyone . 

I have bought this lap top a week a go from best but California .   unfortunately im not in California any more to return I back to my country . 

I bought it for main use of gaming it was in a really good sale 900$ and I was watching all the video reviews on YouTube and no one mention this issue , Unfortunately I was downloading Counter strike and PUBG and I found out that im having the some problem doesn't matter what I was trying to do (updates , low video settings ) I was starting to research for a solation and I found that im not the only person I already email few times to Asus and still waiting for respond I realize that the warranty  will cover me also in my country (Israel ) and I email to asus screen shot from all the conversation that I found online with some issue to show them that its something that every one have and they have to help to fix or return that . in not going to give up guys we paid a lot of money if I need I will send them a maill from attorney . I really like this laptop and im not looking for money back but every one have some problem they should replace for us the processor or refund us !!! I will be in touch and update you here . please if some one found a solution update us too . thank you so much and have a great weekend try to stay home and safe on those crazy days 

I  have something to add up as I have been following this thread for a while now (having the pc for 2 months and facing some huge underperformance issues like you guys ) I have the 8GB version of this pc and i've found in some yt videos that Ryzen cpus benifit alot from dual channel memory so what i m asking since we all are facing the same issue  : could it be due to single channel usage and does adding and other RAM stick fix the issue ?

Tbh i ve been searching alot before buying the pc :I've watched all the content made about it and  checked al; the benchmarks but the unit I'm having right now is nowhere near those high numbers of fps dispalyed here  : ( https://www.gpucheck.com/laptop/asus-rog-zephyrus-ga502/ultra )

I hope I can get a reply soon so that I can decide wether I should invest into upgrading the RAM or start looking for an alternative already ( thinking about the MSI GF65 ) .

Thanks ahead and have a nice day 

5 hours ago, ThirdLift said:

I  have something to add up as I have been following this thread for a while now (having the pc for 2 months and facing some huge underperformance issues like you guys ) I have the 8GB version of this pc and i've found in some yt videos that Ryzen cpus benifit alot from dual channel memory so what i m asking since we all are facing the same issue  : could it be due to single channel usage and does adding and other RAM stick fix the issue ?

Tbh i ve been searching alot before buying the pc :I've watched all the content made about it and  checked al; the benchmarks but the unit I'm having right now is nowhere near those high numbers of fps dispalyed here  : ( https://www.gpucheck.com/laptop/asus-rog-zephyrus-ga502/ultra )

I hope I can get a reply soon so that I can decide wether I should invest into upgrading the RAM or start looking for an alternative already ( thinking about the MSI GF65 ) .

Thanks ahead and have a nice day 

I have the BB variant which has the 16GB RAM. For Shadow of the Tomb Raider I get the results on the link you posted. This is a point in time result. For gaming, you want sustained results and the only way for this laptop to achieve that is you must be willing to make both hardware and software mods. I posted a few post back what I had to do. Remove the fan plates and use Ryzen Controller to modify the CPU settings. 

My Noisy fan seems to have fixed itself, I emailed ASUS support last Tuesday and still not had a reply from them... 

Im planning on removing the black covers from the rear vents this week as long as the noisy fan issue doesn't reoccur

The noisy fan was the only negative for the G502 for me. When I have some spare funds I'll be looking at replacing the 2nd m.2 SSD I added to the Laptop and adding more ram.

has anyone actually upgraded the ram yet? Ive had compatibility issues with other laptops in past. I'll wait to see if anyone can confirm whats compatible before buying

17 hours ago, dakota_96 said:

I have the BB variant which has the 16GB RAM. For Shadow of the Tomb Raider I get the results on the link you posted. This is a point in time result. For gaming, you want sustained results and the only way for this laptop to achieve that is you must be willing to make both hardware and software mods. I posted a few post back what I had to do. Remove the fan plates and use Ryzen Controller to modify the CPU settings. 

I checked your post hisotry and I did exactly what you said ( expcet for the metal cover removing part as this will surely void  the warranty / they look into the smalleest detail here in my country to make sure they dont cover the issue within warranty) and yess I did notice a steady performace with no dips! I guess ill just  buy the other 8gb ram and see if that helps me get the 150 fps on cs go for example (been getting a steady 80 fps and max 100 ) aside from that I really like this laptop as it is my first gaming one .

I bought 2 of these laptops openbox at bestbuy, one for 750 and one for 790. Both ran great out of the box, my wife was suprised how well it played subnautica, the screen on her laptop did a little flickering sometimes so returned it to bestbuy, the new laptop struggles to play subnautica and it sounds like the issues above.  So out of 3 open box laptops, 1 has an issue. Im going to try to return it in hopes of getting a good one.

So should i update the bios on the one that runs well?

5 hours ago, Burchamj said:

I bought 2 of these laptops openbox at bestbuy, one for 750 and one for 790. Both ran great out of the box, my wife was suprised how well it played subnautica, the screen on her laptop did a little flickering sometimes so returned it to bestbuy, the new laptop struggles to play subnautica and it sounds like the issues above.  So out of 3 open box laptops, 1 has an issue. Im going to try to return it in hopes of getting a good one.

So you actually had 2 from BB with issues? I went thru 3 open boxes. The third one runs the best. First was extremely bad but I wasn't aware of this forum and the workarounds so I just returned it. Second one I did the workarounds (remove fan plates, use Ryzen Controller, MSI Afterburner) and it worked great. However, I just decided to return this one and picked up another open box from BB. This one, I did all the updates like my second one but used only Ryzen Controller. It's running great. Such a weird model. 

1 hour ago, dakota_96 said:

So you actually had 2 from BB with issues? I went thru 3 open boxes. The third one runs the best. First was extremely bad but I wasn't aware of this forum and the workarounds so I just returned it. Second one I did the workarounds (remove fan plates, use Ryzen Controller, MSI Afterburner) and it worked great. However, I just decided to return this one and picked up another open box from BB. This one, I did all the updates like my second one but used only Ryzen Controller. It's running great. Such a weird model. 

I bought 3 of them. All 3 worked fine with no fps drops. The one i returned to best buy was because the the screen was flickering and the right mouse button didnt work. The new one we got has the thermal throttling issue. 

The 3rd one i bought was for my church, they needed a new laptop. 

Open box at 750 to 790 too good to pass up.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, Burchamj said:

So should i update the bios on the one that runs well?

yess update it to version 302 and that should do the trick

Hi everyone,

New user of the laptop here. Got the laptop four days ago. Two days in it started throttling. STOTR going down to 22 fps. I tried the fixes mentioned here and updates the BIOS to 302. Ran cinebench 20 and got a result of 1400ish against the 1730 i got with the laptop fresh out of the box. The ryzen controller setting with

VRM at 30

CPU Boost TDP at 25

CPU Min TDP at 15

Temp limit at 100

Pushed the cinebench score down to 1000. Why is there such a huge difference between the two scores. There is still throttling and its very frustrating. can someone help me out with this. Thanks

quick update on the noisy fan, its been almost a week now and its not reoccurred , a friend has the same model and she had the noisy fan issue also. She ran the fans at 100% for a few hours and the noise disappeared. 

Im about to strip everything down, replace the thermal paste and pads, take the vent covers out and see what kind of temps im getting.

the newest laptop i exchanged for works perfect.

Good news, guys 

i have solve the problem of CPU frequency stuck at 0.39 GHz !

It seems that the asus public program can help 

-Go to asus official website find ROG Zephyrus G GA502DU

-find Drivers and tools software 

-download and install Armoury Crate Service and ROG Live Service Package

It works!!

12 hours ago, RampFish said:

Good news, guys 

i have solve the problem!

It seems that the asus public program can help 

-Go to asus official website find ROG Zephyrus G GA502DU

-find Drivers and tools software 

-download and install Armoury Crate Service and ROG Live Service Package

It works!!

This fixes what issue?

25 minutes ago, KatHV said:

This fixes what issue?

The cpu frequency stuck at 0.39gHz

9 hours ago, RampFish said:

The cpu frequency stuck at 0.39gHz

Oh ok. Other question, any of you have this stutter issue in games, like Far cry 5 (settings on high), No man's sky (high), battlefield 1 (high)? My framerate drops from around 70s to 50s and it makes the game stutter during gameplay. I can't seem to get a solid 60+. I also experience this to many other AAA games. Checked my cpu temps in game and it is at 85 C max (far cry 5). Also removed those "paper" that covers the fan intake from the bottom.

Edit: I checked my temps when playing no man's sky and apparently it goes much higher at 90 C. 

Edit2: Also noticed the CPU frequency to be fluctuating all over the place while gaming.

Hwy, I know I'm really late to this, but I  have the ROG Zephyrus GA502DU and I had the same promble, but when I updated my BIOS to version 302, my problem was gone.

hey guys i just updated my bios to 302 and it looks fine,

but the problem is now cpu kinda force it self at lower frequncy 3.30ghz and limited temp upto 89

and it still has the lag

Just now, Siavash said:

hey guys i just updated my bios to 302 and it looks fine,

but the problem is now cpu kinda force it self at lower frequncy 3.30ghz and limited temp upto 89

and it still has the lag

and you cant play with the maximum power tht your laptop can give you

On 6/1/2020 at 11:37 PM, Siavash said:

and you cant play with the maximum power tht your laptop can give you

From what country are you from? Here is one big thing I noticed, I live in a tropical country and ambient temperatures is a big deal. I usually play in a room without airconditioning, and I constantly throttle, my frequency jumps all over the place, goes like 3.3 - 3.8 Ghz, never goes past 3.8 Ghz). But a few days ago I started playing in an airconditioned room at roughly 21 degrees C ambient temp I can now hit 3.9/4.0 Ghz and my CPU temp stays cool at 75 degrees. Less framedrops in farcry 5, and no frame drops at all in no man's sky. 

On 6/3/2020 at 12:43 PM, KatHV said:

From what country are you from? Here is one big thing I noticed, I live in a tropical country and ambient temperatures is a big deal. I usually play in a room without airconditioning, and I constantly throttle, my frequency jumps all over the place, goes like 3.3 - 3.8 Ghz, never goes past 3.8 Ghz). But a few days ago I started playing in an airconditioned room at roughly 21 degrees C ambient temp I can now hit 3.9/4.0 Ghz and my CPU temp stays cool at 75 degrees. Less framedrops in farcry 5, and no frame drops at all in no man's sky. 

im from iran, and my room is kinda cool, the fact is now with our new bios update 302 the throttling happens with you play with Trubo mode or when laptob get higher than 90c , but in the past it was about 90~100c ,this explains tht it is lowering the power to stop thethrottling

On 6/3/2020 at 12:43 PM, KatHV said:

i dont know what the fuck is wrong with asus , why they cant release a stable bios