Best anti virus?

Whats affordable and the best overall?

Maingear F131 "Ghost Edition" | MSI Z390 | i9 9900k | Gaming Edge | Apex Full Liquid Cooling | 64 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200 MHZ | SLI 2080 RTX Ti |1200 W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | 2 TB NVME WD BLACK | 2 TB NVME m.2 660 p | 4 TB HD | ASUS ROG PG27UQ

You don't really need one. Just don't click on shady advertisements on pron websites. 

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

2 minutes ago, thedemoncowboy said:

Best anti virus is don't use internet at all.

Second best anti virus is a good and careful user

third best anti virus are paid antivirus softwares (the only main advantage paid antivirus over free antivirus are : no ads, database updated quickly as soon as new virus are discovered

fourth best anti virus are free anti virus softwares (they get their database updated less quickly than paid antivirus, and have ads, )

fifth best anti virus is windows defender

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Depends on what you're looking for. For most people an ad/script blocker + Malwarebytes (and a healthy dose of 'common sense') is all that is needed. But some need a more all in one solution.

To be frank though, you have to download some stuff from really weird places and give administrator rights to programs to get a good virus nowadays.

Other than that, making sure where you get your downloads from, being sure to double check if you're on your bank's site and not a scam site and just generally keeping your OS updated goes a long way.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

Best anti virus is don't use internet at all.

Second best anti virus is a good and careful user

third best anti virus are paid antivirus softwares (the only main advantage paid antivirus over free antivirus are : no ads, database updated quickly as soon as new virus are discovered

fourth best anti virus are free anti virus softwares (they get their database updated less quickly than paid antivirus, and have ads, )

fifth best anti virus is windows defender

Actually I have to correct you - Windows Defender is now superior to many free AV software such as Avast and AVG.

Avast is my internet condom, I use a lot of sites that are sure to get me a virus but avast blocks all kinds of downloads.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

27 minutes ago, thedemoncowboy said:

Best overall? Norton or Kaspersky.

Something actually usable? I'd say using Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender is the bare minimum but you could go for something like Symantec or what-have-you.

MalwareBytes is a must have these days.

Avoid freeware ones - they're usually shit.

20 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Avast is my internet condom, I use a lot of sites that are sure to get me a virus but avast blocks all kinds of downloads.

Avast itself is spyware. I'd suggest replacing it.

21 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Actually I have to correct you - Windows Defender is now superior to many free AV software such as Avast and AVG.

That is possible. I am not a pro in anti virus as I never used one myself... I download shit tons of torrents and cracked games and never had a problem. If I am unsure of a cracked game I would just install it on a VM to test first. 

I have been in the game since 1990 so maybe I am not a good example as I would say I am a Super User or actually a computer technician by profession lol

That being said, OP --> If you consider yourself more than average user, just a windows defender and awareness and being careful should be enough for you

20 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Something actually usable? I'd say using Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender is the bare minimum but you could go for something like Symantec or what-have-you.

Not true.

Free anti virus are the same as the paid anti virus except their database are not updated as fast as the paid anti virus. Which is the only reason why someone would pay for an anti virus (except if it's for an organization then paid anti virus ahve lot more manageable options for scheduled scans and monitoring etc )

Also Norton  beuuurk horrible , kaspersky is ... okay...

20 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Avast is horrible also you can't get virus by just browsing a site (it's possible but will most likely never ever face that situation even if you browse random sites for the rest of your life )

It's all about not executing that zlx.exe file that you been asked to download :) or that britneyspearsnaked.exe file

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

My parents know very little about computers, and are really bad when it comes to knowing what to not click. They have never ever gotten a single virus over the paste decade+. Common sense is all you need.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

Not true.

Free anti virus are the same as the paid anti virus except their database are not updated as fast as the paid anti virus. Which is the only reason why someone would pay for an anti virus (except if it's for an organization then paid anti virus ahve lot more manageable options for scheduled scans and monitoring etc )

Also Norton  beuuurk horrible , kaspersky is ... okay...

Norton and Kaspersky are both very resource-intensive but do a much better job than anything else on the market.

And no - freeware ones are horrid. AVG, for example, will totally destory your OS install when uninstalling it in an effort to trick you into thinking you need it  - what will follow is random odd behaviour.

Anti virus are not magic, all they do is maintain a database of virus names/files, and when you download/execute a file, it scans that file through their database to see if it recognize it as a virus. If yes, it will block it.

Thats all.

PAid anti virus are a bit better b ecause their data base are updated daily and faster

My bro had Avast installed and it trashed windows update for him. I myself use windows defender along with common sense; hence why i'm on here on a mac XD .... all jokes aside, if you use common sense windows defender is decent enough; dont download shady stuff, dont go to shady websites, dont torrent anything, and dont click on ads.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Norton and Kaspersky are both very resource-intensive but do a much better job than anything else on the market.

And no - freeware ones are horrid. AVG, for example, will totally destory your OS install when uninstalling it in an effort to trick you into thinking you need it  - what will follow is random odd behaviour.

Not true again I did uninstall AVG not too long ago with zero problem. 

Free anti virus are the exact same as paid anti virus except database is updated every 2-3 days instead of every 3-4 hours for paid anti virus. thats all. ah yeah free anbti virus have ads which is annoying..

To me, any antivirus is annoying. :) 

14 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Anti virus are not magic, all they do is maintain a database of virus names/files, and when you download/execute a file, it scans that file through their database to see if it recognize it as a virus. If yes, it will block it.

Thats all.

PAid anti virus are a bit better b ecause their data base are updated daily and faster

It's not as simple - you have to separate actual AV software from malicious/promotional ones (which most free distributed ones are) - actually decent free AV software is usually a heavily cut-down version of the paid one. But it's typically so cut-down it's worse than MSSE

14 minutes ago, RyzenDoctor said:

My bro had Avast installed and it trashed windows update for him. I myself use windows defender along with common sense; hence why i'm on here on a mac XD .... all jokes aside, if you use common sense windows defender is decent enough; dont download shady stuff, dont go to shady websites, dont torrent anything, and dont click on ads.

Avast is typically less of an issue than AVG but it's still useless - I've never actually seen most freeware options work, like, legit stop or clean an infected system.

Well... I use Gdata and am very happy with it on Win10...

As for what is the "best". Define "best" first

Well on android I use Norton mobile but for PC I stick with Windows defender but without any antivirus on them just don't click shady links or downloads

16 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Avast is horrible also you can't get virus by just browsing a site (it's possible but will most likely never ever face that situation even if you browse random sites for the rest of your life )

It's all about not executing that zlx.exe file that you been asked to download :) or that britneyspearsnaked.exe file

Oh trust me, going to skeevy websites does in fact initiate downloads automatically, without asking. Gotta pirate anime somewhere tho

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Basically all I use frequently:

• Windows Defender
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
  • Malwarebytes Free

On the off chance that I have to clean someone's system, or my own, due to an infection; I may also use the following:

1. Junkware Removal Tool
  2. RogueKillerX64
  3. AdwCleaner 
  4. TDSSKiller

But realistically, if you use uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger with your Internet Browser, coupled with Windows Defender. You really shouldn't have any issues as long as you are browsing responsibly by using common sense. I like to run SUPERAntiSpyware because there will always be trackers that make their way through, even with extensions like uBlock Origin. Malwarebytes is mostly a second defense to Windows Defender, but I wouldn't have it running in the background. Only one you should keep on all the time should be Windows Defender. Otherwise, run SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes once a month, and update the definitions beforehand. 

The other programs/software I mentioned are more or less if you are absolutely sure that you are infected, and/or yearly maintenance. 

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Oh trust me, going to skeevy websites does in fact initiate downloads automatically, without asking. Gotta pirate anime somewhere tho

I was safer without Avast that I was without any antivirus

29 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Ive seen this Malwarebytes by alot of people, they seem to like it. 

Maingear F131 "Ghost Edition" | MSI Z390 | i9 9900k | Gaming Edge | Apex Full Liquid Cooling | 64 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200 MHZ | SLI 2080 RTX Ti |1200 W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | 2 TB NVME WD BLACK | 2 TB NVME m.2 660 p | 4 TB HD | ASUS ROG PG27UQ

38 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yea Avast is shit

Either no antivirus or your operating system developer’s santivirus.

1 hour ago, Fakmykak said:

You don't really need one. Just don't click on shady advertisements on pron websites. 

pagani cinque :)

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Windows Defender just took top scores in the last tests.

There are a couple free anti virus solutions that are perfectly fine, even being on par with any other paid ones.

Avast ist totally fine.

How did you manage to write so much false info in one post?

43 minutes ago, DaveTech said:

Yea Avast is shit

No, its not.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

1 hour ago, thedemoncowboy said:

So there is no best answer to this really. So in general most of the AV's are pretty close to each other in what they detect, but even the best AV only detects in the 80-85% range and have very limited protection against zero day attacks.

If I had to recommend a solution based on price, detection rate, and overhead I would just suggest you use Windows Defender (if on windows) and then something like malwarebytes to do a scan every week or so... or even the premium service with active protection. This should get your coverage to around 95% or so outside of a zero day attack.

I won't go in to really great detail here, but security is a layered approach. So you need a solid perimeter firewall, a host firewall, a host AV solution, and then the biggest factor in all of this an educated end user. The biggest weakness in security is normally the end users. So just educate yourself on basic security practices and keep up on things to look for. The more educated you can make yourself the more secure you will be as a whole. Just make sure you are helping educate others in your household.