Best anti virus?

1 hour ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

But realistically, if you use uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger with your Internet Browser, coupled with Windows Defender. You really shouldn't have any issues as long as you are browsing responsibly by using common sense. I like to run SUPERAntiSpyware because there will always be trackers that make their way through, even with extensions like uBlock Origin. Malwarebytes is mostly a second defense to Windows Defender, but I wouldn't have it running in the background. Only one you should keep on all the time should be Windows Defender. Otherwise, run SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes once a month, and update the definitions beforehand.

I use to swear on running noscript with firefox because it blocked pretty much everything and I had to manually allow it. Now though for the privacy side of things I just use a Pihole server to blackhole all the traffic of tracking sites. It does mean using some google links that go through a tracker don't work, but that is about the only downside. Hell amazon can't even phone home unless you allow it to (a must if you use a alexa device). So I wouldn't say that there is no way to block all the trackers. There are ways to pretty much kill them all off especially if you are using custom blacklists that are update frequently. I mean if you browse just a ton there might be a chance you go to a site that wasn't added yet, but once it is all of that traffic and tracking would be blocked regardless or not if you have a cookie from them.

Anyways just my perspective.

You can get a 90 days trial of Bitdefender Total Security, ... After which you can simply create a new account, decouple your account(switch account in "My Account") from the software that's already installed, link in the new account and get another 90 days for free... Basically free best, peace of mind, total security package out there, for ever.

https://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/consumer/new/get-your-90-day-trial-opt/index.html

People saying that no anti virus is fine and that you're okay as long as you don't click shady links... Are irresponsible.
Just because THEY know how to identify shady link, doesn't mean everyone knows how to.
Not to mention that these days, you can get infected even on legit websites.
Anyone who'd even ask this sort of question, obviously isn't going to be the type of person that knows much about this crap to begin with, hence they need the extra protection, otherwise that's how we end up with an extra bot for some botnet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

i use eset nod32 

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

So there is no best answer to this really. So in general most of the AV's are pretty close to each other in what they detect, but even the best AV only detects in the 80-85% range and have very limited protection against zero day attacks.

If I had to recommend a solution based on price, detection rate, and overhead I would just suggest you use Windows Defender (if on windows) and then something like malwarebytes to do a scan every week or so... or even the premium service with active protection. This should get your coverage to around 95% or so outside of a zero day attack.

I won't go in to really great detail here, but security is a layered approach. So you need a solid perimeter firewall, a host firewall, a host AV solution, and then the biggest factor in all of this an educated end user. The biggest weakness in security is normally the end users. So just educate yourself on basic security practices and keep up on things to look for. The more educated you can make yourself the more secure you will be as a whole. Just make sure you are helping educate others in your household.

+1 in addition have backups and a plan to recover from an infection.

ransomwhere and others prey on you not backing up your system and being able to recover from an infection.

Not sure how it stacks up to the current competition, but I use a combination of Avast Free Antivirus and Common Sense. Haven't had any viruses in years.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

10 hours ago, thedemoncowboy said:

Whats affordable and the best overall?

Bitdefender and Kaspersky have nearly a 99.9% detection rate of malware,malicious programs or sites etc. Windows defender should do you just fine however as it frequently receives direct and immediate updates for vulnerabilities but if you just cannot afford to have any of your data or your computer itself compromised,go with the aforementioned ones because they offer virtualization and a host of other advanced features which aren't there on Windows Defender

On 8/4/2019 at 5:31 PM, Kenpachi1985 said:

Windows Defender just took top scores in the last tests.

There are a couple free anti virus solutions that are perfectly fine, even being on par with any other paid ones.

Avast ist totally fine.

How did you manage to write so much false info in one post?

No, its not.

When I used it I was less safe than before I got it

• 1 year later...

Windows defender. You can enable ransomeware protection if very afraid. Be advised, will interfere with some games, incl. battlefield V, but might be fixed now. And then get Adguard for your browser and you're good to go. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.