Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

I actually joined this forum (and subsequently FPC) to ask this:

How do modern Intel ULV processors compare to the mobile chips of yesteryear.

I wonder this because my laptop (getting a bit long in the tooth) has an i5-3230M, and in the non-gaming thin and light (but still worthy of coding on) market today, everything seems to be ULV, with the same cores, and same clock speed as my 3230M. I know there are new features such as hardware decoding, etc, etc. But in pure task performance, how do these stack up? I've heard that even the 7th generation ULVs can bottleneck streaming 4k, but my 3rd gen M can handle this no problem.

Is this just a market segment Intel have forgotten about, or are the U's and Y's of today really viable replacements for the M's of old?

not sure if this was done yet but If it wasn't I think a lot of people would like to see Linus and your staff's favorite items they use computer accessories keyboards monitors systems mice etc..

I dont know if this would be more at home in TechQuickie or LTT. But an easy topic would be to cover how much RAM (i.e. not VRAM) is actually needed for a gaming PC. 

There's a small discussion sprouting about it here in a "250GB SSD vs 16GB RAM" thread. Past analysis has shown 4GB performance is nearly identically to 8GB and 16GB in terms of average framerate, but it doesn't capture the 1% or speak to level/asset load times.

The differences between OEM vs Retail software

Chris Porten

History and the future of Windows Mobile and Windows Phone (including Windows 10 Mobile) 

@jmart604

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Can you do a video on Hadoop and AWS or something in the like? I had to sit through a presentation recently and I feel that i was totally overwhelmed. 

Something along the lines of Cloud computing and how it all interconnects

The OSI Model what it is and why it's actually really relevant to know. 

there should be an online auction as well

A techquicke about laptop batter watt hour ratings and how they affect laptop battery performance, longevity and lifespan

Just do a whole bit on LAG in general.  Different types and how to avoid them.  Types of connections to the web.  Wireless or cabled mice.  Refresh rates and response times on monitors.  Types of switches in keyboards that reduce input lag, if that even matters.  If frame rate limiting games helps.  How to determine if you or the server you are connected to is the cause of lag on the web.

Hard core gamers or wanna be hard core gamers would love this.

Maybe one about the buffer effect of aio coolers.  For example, if all you do is basic web browsing and office work, you can keep the fans way down.  It takes so much heat to get the water temp to climb that the fans won't ever have to ramp up and down to keep up.  Keeps the dust out of your computer and the noise down.  If you are a hard core gamer, you will get amazing temps, but then as time goes on and heat builds, then you end up with decent temps still, but the fans have to ramp up to keep the temps down just like an air cooler, effectively gaining you..not much over an air cooler.  Then after you stop gaming it takes a while to get the water temperature back down because it takes quite a bit to pull all that heat back out of water.

Also WHY in the world do the fans on an AIO cooler ramp up based on CPU temp instead of Water temp, that is so annoying and pointless unless you are running it hard for a long time, it's stupid.

Just watched TQ - file formats, want to repeat my comment from YT,

Jon does a really good job here of explaining a lot of technical data to the viewer, dare I say that Linus or Luke might of been the incorrect choice of host for this one?

Yes to more in this series, Audio, Video, documents, gaming etc

And maybe even something about dead pixels, most noticeable as Jon's right nipple at 4:16 when you switch to negative.

Edited by Sacredsock
Formatting was bugging me

Can you explain frame pacing and how it contributes to smoothness in games. This could also be tied into an ltt channel video where you compare old/new intel processes and ryzen with their frame pacing.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

On 5/14/2017 at 10:42 PM, VortexHero said:
  •  
  • WD hard drive colors' meanings.

http://hddmag.com/2016/11/western-digital-hdd-colors-explained.html

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1- The history of USB or data connections in general. You could throw in firewire and even go over some of the strange serial connections on older machinery! Also, the history of video inputs could be neat 

2- I don't know how you would title this, but I would love a video about Women in tech/Women in gaming. It would be neat to have a video talking about why the culture against women online exists (or the absolute sexual creepiness). I think it is fascinating how women in tech can enrage so many members of the community! . Shoot, look at the comments about Max!

I imagine the comments section would be very angry... No matter what you would get comments about #feminazis but, It is important to make a statement of "don't be a jerk to people on the internet."  We are building a community here! 

3- I would love videos talking about careers in tech! The philosophy of service for IT staff, how a non-LMG film crew works, or just what it is like to work in software/hardware.

4-  I would love a video about variation within device manufacturing (or device failure rates). I work in IT so I have 100 laptops that are exactly the same and out of the box they have substantially different speed, screen clarity and performance. I imagine higher end products have less variation but it would be a neat video!

What epilepsy is and how to prevent it from happening to you on the computer

"Misused Technology Terms"

How about

• "Quantum Leap"
  • "Headphones" vs. "Headset" (also "in-ear" vs. "earphones")
  • "Authentication" vs. "Authorisation"
  • "Window" (Frame) vs. "Application" vs. "OS" vs. "PC" X "Crash" vs. "Freeze" vs. "Error message" vs. "Incorrect behaviour"
    • People talk/write about every possible permutation while they actually may mean any other possible permutation

You could do a video on the security levels of teamspeak and how they work

On 5/21/2017 at 8:52 PM, unassumingmelon said:

1- I don't know how you would title this, but I would love a video about Women in tech/Women in gaming. It would be neat to have a video talking about why the culture against women online exists (or the absolute sexual creepiness). I think it is fascinating how women in tech can enrage so many members of the community! . Shoot, look at the comments about Max!

I imagine the comments section would be very angry... No matter what you would get comments about #feminazis but, It is important to make a statement of "don't be a jerk to people on the internet."  We are building a community here! 

I appreciate your suggestions.

However, I'd like to quickly speak on this as I've had this suggestion pop up more than once.

As long as I'm running Techquickie, we're not going to touch anything like this.

You're asking us to advocate for one side of a complicated sociopolitical issue people have very strong feelings about in both directions.

The few times we've covered anything that could be taken as remotely related to politics, we've taken great pains to be as even-handed as possible - see, for example, our video on net neutrality.

The closest we've come to something like this is our episode on cyberbullying, which we were extremely careful to present in a factual, data-driven manner, instead of coming across as lecturing our viewers about how to treat people online.

It was difficult enough coming up with a way to cover the GENERAL phenomenon of people being horrible to each other irrespective of race, gender, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, etc etc while keeping things neutral and evidence-based. Advocating for a specific group, by contrast, is even more difficult to the point where I consider it an absolute minefield.

I have my own personal feelings on this matter, but other than saying I don't condone harassment of anyone online (or off), I'm not sharing them and in this case they're irrelevant anyway as taking sides on issues like this is, in my view, a bad idea for most YouTubers, especially those who don't comment on or poke fun at larger societal issues as part of the core of who they are.

Regarding the last bit of your quote, if someone actually needs to be told not to be a jerk on the Internet, a video from us isn't going to convince them.

Thanks to all who have suggested topics. Keep them coming, I do read them and I've seen some good ones.

I spell my name without an H!

Esse Quam Videri - Go Blue Devils

On ‎05‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, XHAD said:

What epilepsy is and how to prevent it from happening to you on the computer

Ask a neurologist, not a tech reviewer.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside