Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Softcore vs Hardcore Processors 

Running across these terms when learning about FPGAs. 

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Inspired by my recent exchange of word with my wireless carrier about my asinine data limits:

Why is true unlimited data very hard to maintain? Why do some carriers can do it? Why do some can't? Why is it that even in some wired internet (DSL, cable, fiber) providers, it's not true unlimited data? It's just an internet plan with very high data cap (around 500 GB to 2TB). Does more spectrum for a wireless carrier makes it easier to maintain unlimited data? What happens when carriers ran out of spectrum?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 2/17/2017 at 8:19 PM, hawking said:

Hopefully I'm not out of line posting this here.

I have a small correction to report on the latest video "What is Handheld Molecular Scanning?" where you say that infrared is a higher frequency and energy to visible light when it is in fact the opposite. Infrared light has a slower frequency and lower energy and larger wavelength. 

You did get the part about infrared being able to penetrate better than regular light.

This is not what was said in the video. Watch it again.

Also, thanks to everyone who has posted their suggestions so far. Keep them coming. :)

I spell my name without an H!

Esse Quam Videri - Go Blue Devils

19 hours ago, Eds_Tech said:

Review the thermaltake tower 900 case. 

You're looking for this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/300200-what-should-i-review-next/

To all: We do not review specific products on Techquickie. We sometimes do OVERVIEWS of specific products if they're especially noteworthy (such as our recent video about the Google Pixel), but this isn't the right thread for requesting things like case reviews. Thanks :)

I spell my name without an H!

Esse Quam Videri - Go Blue Devils

I'd like a bit for what goes on with PCIe lane sharing between GPU, CPU, high-speed storage, ect.

THE CLOUD!

What it is, how it works, what its not.

Networking

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

The actual physics behind how a CPU is able to understand numbers.

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

What is an instruction set in a CPU?

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

How about a video to explain why an NVMe drive is a waste of money for a boot drive. I constantly find myself having to explain to people that what matters with Windows performance is how fast it can read small files (indicative of the 4K random read speeds on benchmarks), and that the sequential speeds don't really contribute to performance much unless you work with large files. It's depressing when people spend several hundred dollars on NVMe boot drives, then ask why they don't notice any performance improvement.

You'll have several chances to say "Well, not necessarily", which we all know you love doing. ;)

Edit: Holy crap, you already made one and it's been like 30 minutes! 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Idk if this would qualify as a techquickie episode; however I was curious to know if it would be more cost effective to buy GTX x50 or x50TIs every few years as opposed to a mid range GPU every few years and how it would hold up.

Wrong thread

Edited by crocski

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Short of physical damage to hardware how to handle GPU's, CPU's, RAM ect. I have watched lots of LTT videos and TQ videos and you guys handle tons of hardware. How rough can you be with hardware till it fails from handling it? Or make a regular LTT video.... I have no clue where that thread is though.

Principle of least privilege

I have been explaining this to people throughout my career but it would be really nice to point co-workers to a quick video where they can get the gist of the principle.  It's a very simple principle, however people tend to forget it's a principle.  Just because you can shut everyone's access off to every file and folder on a server doesn't mean you should.  You need to take into account how it will impact the operations of your business, how much time it would take to maintain, and weigh that against the criticality of the data in question and your implemented security models.  That's where I start to see people get confused.

I'm not a writer by any means but here's a (probably terrible) example to hopefully explain the principle as I view it.  Maybe it will give your writers a head start if you decide to tackle this topic:

In the most simple terms it means you give users access to the resources they need to perform their duties and nothing more.  This could be access to servers, folders, files, and even system I/O (prevent removable media from being read).  However this can also address things such as access to buildings or rooms within said buildings.  It doesn't have to be limited to IT functions.  In the example below I'm going to use file/folder access since that's fairly easy for most of us to grasp and relate to.

Say you've got a file share on the "Z:\" drive.  It contains the following folders:

• Human Resources
  • Accounting
  • Information Technology

An HR (Human Resources) employee would obviously need access to the HR folder, but shouldn't need access to the accounting or information technology folders.  So you'd only give them access to the HR folder.  However they might have some process that requires HR employees to access Accounting files every couple days.  You would then need to review the data in the accounting folder and decide if you should simply give all HR employees access to all Accounting files.  Maybe your IT department only has 1 person and you have  a hundred sub folders in each root folder.  It would take a long time for your technician to create individual permissions per folder and then assign users/groups to each folder.  Additionally, once that has been implemented the IT department would have to maintain that structure and any changes in said structure could require a complete redesign.  That is often overlooked in my experience.  For your company it doesn't make sense to limit the HR access because it's simply not feasible.  You're still following the principle of least privilege because you're still not giving them access to the Information Technology folder, but you had to make some sacrifices in security for ease of operation and gave them full access to HR and Accounting.  For a small business that's usually acceptable.  However if you work for a larger business the amount of time spent to secure that data is more often than not worth the time and effort.

There are countless ways to handle the situation above but hopefully that gave a decent example of what the principle means in a business environment and that there is no single way to handle file access.  There's a ton of variables to consider and in the end it's up to your IT and Business employees to come together and agree on a solution that works for everyone.  As long as you keep the principle of least privilege in mind in those negotiations you're already ahead of the pack, in my book at least.

Thanks for the consideration and more importantly thank you for the tech quickie (and other) channels your team produces.

I have addressed an issue in this topic:

Basically EVERY video about applying thermal paste only takes into consideration if you have a tube or a syringe, none at all says the best appropriate way to apply it if you got a pot, couldn't LMG be one exception that actually cares about the thermal paste Pots and make a quicky guide video about it?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Intel VS AMD as fast as possible

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

With the new AMD processor released I see a lot of benchmarks with the popular Intel cpu's at their normal speeds running against an AMD processor that's running maybe 3.5GHz. I say, lets run some new benchmarks apps/games/synthetics with all the processors locked at 3.5GHz and then see what the real numbers say. leaving dollar for performance out of the equation and running clock for clock. ( 7700k-6950k-6700k, etc. against the amd 1800k or whatever it is ).

IEEE 802.11 ad as fast as possible

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside