Intel Internal Memo Reveals that even Intel is Impressed by AMD's Progress

MadDuke

Something interesting from the Intel camp on this whole situation that developed in the last couple of years. 

Today a Reddit user by the name of "scv_good_to_go", shared an article posted on Intel's internal employee-only portal called "Circuit News". The post, titled "AMD competitive profile: Where we go toe-to-toe, why they are resurgent, which chips of ours beat theirs" goes into detail about the recent history of AMD and how the company achieved its tremendous growth in recent years. Further, Intel talks about where they see the biggest challenges with AMD's new products, and what the company's "secret sauce" is to fight against these improvements.

https://www.techpowerup.com/256842/intel-internal-memo-reveals-that-even-intel-is-impressed-by-amds-progress

EDIT:  

Original Reddit thread:

Spoiler

Edited by leadeater
Fixed formatting

I would have been more surprised if Intel had just shrugged AMD's growth off.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The company's most recent annual report notes that 2018 marked the firm's "second straight year of greater than 20% annual revenue growth," in large part due to its newest Ryzen products for desktop, and EPYC for enterprise, cloud, and datacenter.

The amusing thing is, I have said this a few times now and each time I was told that was not the reason.  I wonder if the general attitude is still defiant given it is now being said by Bob.

2 minutes ago, MadDuke said:

Where?  I've checked a few pages and found no mention of this. And the article is written today?

Sorry if I've missed it. 

I think you just need to add a quote and maybe an opinion of your own.    Everything else is fine.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In other news, water is wet and Intel isn't blind.

Looking forward to their eventual desktop CPU response, whether that's 10nm Ice Lake or something else.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

3 minutes ago, melete said:

In other news, water is wet and Intel isn't blind.

Looking forward to their eventual desktop CPU response, whether that's 10nm Ice Lake or something else.

I'm torn honestly.   I do want better products. But long term. I would wish Intel to suffer at least a couple of more years and loose a significant market share percentage.  Stronger AMD is better long term for the whole space IMO.

1 minute ago, MadDuke said:

I'm torn honestly.   I do want better products. But long term. I would wish Intel to suffer at least a couple of more years and loose a significant market share percentage.  Stronger AMD is better long term for the whole space IMO.

I don't think Intel need to suffer for AMD to remain strong competition.   There is enough market out there for everyone, Intel have just been enjoying a lack of AMD.

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You literally just copy pasted the first paragraph from the article without adding anything.

Try reading ALL the rules, not just the first one.

Sorry. WIll next time say it "in my own words" .  I  put that first couple of sentences because they explain what is inside in short without the need to read any more if someone is not interested.  It's not like it's a leak with any numbers where I can give my personal input on what I think about the leak, testing methodology etc. 

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't think Intel need to suffer for AMD to remain strong competition.   There is enough market out there for everyone, Intel have just been enjoying a lack of AMD.

I must just be wary of the Barton times and later the dual cores after which it all went to hell :D hehehe

That was truly the last time before Zen that I could have really made an awesome bang for buck machine.  (Mobile Barton FTW.) 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

The opinions in this thread will be fun *follow*

No you are wrong, it will not be fun to follow. My fun is better than your fun, the fun I use has superior performance to your fun you use.

*find replace 'fun' with 'AMD' and 'Intel' at random*

@MadDuke I fixed the formatting a bit for you, added proper quotation and spoiler for source link as it was LONG. A little bit more personal commentary/opinion is generally expected i.e. expanding on why you find this interesting.

Testing, validation, certificates are cool and all, but useless. Give us a real product that’s competitive.

10 minutes ago, floofer said:

Testing, validation, certificates are cool and all, but useless. Give us a real product that’s competitive.

??

Testing and validation plays a very large role consumer experience.  

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The amusing thing is, I have said this a few times now and each time I was told that was not the reason.

Really?  By whom?  I mean, I could see some recognition of the crypto mining driving up sales of their video cards (and out of the hands of gamers), but it's pretty clear that if Ryzen/TR/Epyc hadn't panned out we would likely have seen AMD being sold off bit-by-bit at this point.

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Really?  By whom?  I mean, I could see some recognition of the crypto mining driving up sales of their video cards (and out of the hands of gamers), but it's pretty clear that if Ryzen/TR/Epyc hadn't panned out we would likely have seen AMD being sold off bit-by-bit at this point.

In all the  "AMD are aiming at mid tier GPU" arguments.    The ones where people are so adamant that crown products aren't important because AMD have mid range GPU's and they are what make AMD all the money, not Ryzens sudden debut as a top end product.

EDIT: and I agree, crypto did do them some good, but it was a sudden and short lived sale of all their stock, not much more.  Ryzen has largely been the driver behind their climb back into profitability and success.

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

??

But who wouldn't enjoy undocumented glitches / errors / crashes on (especially on production environment machines)? ?

53 minutes ago, mr moose said:

??

From an AMD vs Intel POV, it doesn’t warrant the cost (for me). 

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

In all the  "AMD are aiming at mid tier GPU" arguments.    The ones where people are so adamant that crown products aren't important because AMD have mid range GPU's and they are what make AMD all the money, not Ryzens sudden debut as a top end product.

EDIT: and I agree, crypto did do them some good, but it was a sudden and short lived sale of all their stock, not much more.  Ryzen has largely been the driver behind their climb back into profitability and success.

before ryzen the gpu was a good chunk of what was maintaining amd alive, they could have been trying to reference that

13 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

before ryzen the gpu was a good chunk of what was maintaining amd alive

Eh, postponung death paints a better picture.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

before ryzen the gpu was a good chunk of what was maintaining amd alive, they could have been trying to reference that

I would have preferred if that was their message, but when they directly claim AMD are mainly aiming at the mid tier market because it's more profitable (when the evidence suggest Ryzen was the only thing pulling them from the grave)  really means they were not being realistic about the situation.

4 hours ago, floofer said:

From an AMD vs Intel POV, it doesn’t warrant the cost (for me). 

Ask all those who bought expensive but ultimately useless ram (until all the patches finally cam out) for first gen Ryzens what they think of validation.

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

here we go again. ryzen wasnt top end product. intel pretty much held all performance crowns regardless. only reason ryzen was successful was that it was significantly cheaper

tldr: it wasnt some performance crown that sold ryzens. it was price/performance

unfortunately we dont see that big price/performance difference in GPUs and that is exactly why we dont see amd adoption there. and the new gpus dont seem to change much

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

1 hour ago, Neftex said:

here we go again. ryzen wasnt top end product. intel pretty much held all performance crowns regardless. only reason ryzen was successful was that it was significantly cheaper

tldr: it wasnt some performance crown that sold ryzens. it was price/performance

unfortunately we dont see that big price/performance difference in GPUs and that is exactly why we dont see amd adoption there. and the new gpus dont seem to change much

Totally missed the point and addressed something that wasn't said. 

EDIT: also not sure why we need to go again? perhaps you are not happy that Ryzen is the chief reason AMD is doing well and wanted it to be mid range GPU's?

19 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Totally missed the point and addressed something that wasn't said. 

EDIT: also not sure why we need to go again? perhaps you are not happy that Ryzen is the chief reason AMD is doing well and wanted it to be mid range GPU's?

youre trying to argue your point of ryzen making money by saying it was top end product and it wasnt...

if amd gpus had similar price/performance difference from competition like they have in cpus, their mid range gpus would sell just as well, meaning they dont need "crowns" to make money.

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

It bring a smile to see AMD being competitive in the CPU market again. Now they just need to step up their GPU game.

I currently run an Intel//Nvidia rig, but I seem to be among the minority that was largely OK with the performance that my FX-8150 gave me (until my motherboard killed it, that is). It was absolutely nothing special, but it worked well enough in that middle ground between gaming and workstation. The last remnants of my original rig (8150 and HD7870) is the 16gb of Ripjaws Z, i'm hoping my next system will be a Zen 2 system, remains to be seen if it's worth the upgrade. USB-C is a feature i'd really like to be able to utilize.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB