Find results that contain...
Find results in...
d4n1Xd34th

Gamer Fought ISIS For Six Months With Skills He Got From 'CoD'

Posted · Original PosterOP

Gamer Fought ISIS For Six Months With Skills He Got From 'CoD 

A bit more than Competitive Pew Pew

Thoughts?

Btw Feel free to join me! I am going on a intergalactic exploration tour after learning survival tips from No Man's Sky! And I also play a lot of GTA V

Source: http://www.ladbible.com/community/news-gamer-fought-isis-for-six-months-with-skills-he-got-from-cod-20180223?c=1519415218351%3Fsource%3Dgamingbible&fbclid=IwAR2voAbq_S8GTM5-Ao5gPNIJ7B5hOpiHqrXVFtcl53toHj01X6O-DDaNZFQ

He is pretty lucky he didn't get shot in the head by SVD fire from rooftop. 😀

Ryzen 2700X - Crosshair VII Hero - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - 3200@CL14, 1.35v  

EVGA BE SC 1080 Ti - Samsung EVO 960 500GB - EVGA 750 G3 - Design R6 TG blackout

Cooling: 3x NF-S12A in front - Kraken X62 on CPU (2x NF-A14) - Kraken X42 on GPU (1x NF-A14)

Right, CoD, the game where your health regenerates in a matter of seconds and enemies patiently run through scripted motions so you can shoot them more easily, just like in real life.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

I personally believe :

"Kid who thought he knew shit from COD was taught valuable lessons by the Kurdish armed forces, but wants to credit his survival to COD for a sweeter report to media"

PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6900k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Did he figure out how to respawn?

oddly sounds like something that needs to be requestioned with "is he too young for that?" ._.

"Video games prepared me in a way for knowing strategies and how not to get killed, like how to use cover and not to stand in the open," he said.

This is what he learned?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Original Config

CPU: i5 6500, Graphics Card:  ASUS dual gtx 1070, Case: thermaltake core v21, PSU: EVGA 600B, Motherboard: msi b150m bazooka, HDD: WD blue 1tb, SSD: Sandisk z400s 250GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 8gb (x2)

Unreal. Don't do this at home kids!

Motherboard: MSI B450m Bazooka Plus

Processor: Ryzen 3 2200g w/ Wraith Stealth Cooler (3900 OC)

RAM: DELTA TUF Gaming Alliance RGB 3200mhz 8gb x2(3333mhz OC)

GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

PSU: FSP Aurum 92+ 650W

Case: Tecware Nexus M + 3 fans

Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 250GB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

(x) doubt

I have the biggest hankering to change my PC to ITX. But I know it's just not worth 250$... Sigh :(

Edit: it's 375$ now and I'm going to do it.

#BringBackLuke

8 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I personally believe :

"Kid who thought he knew shit from COD was taught valuable lessons by the Kurdish armed forces, but wants to credit his survival to COD for a sweeter report to media"

Also he got lucky despite his really stupid decision.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

I suck at first person shooter but good at tactical strategy game like company of heroes 2. This means im totally all set to be a 5 star generals and command armies!

Sudo make me a sandwich 

20 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I personally believe :

Accuracy 10/10.

Standard military training? nobody cares.

a video game made someone a real soldier? omg endless praising and media coverage.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I'm good at Need for Speed.  Guess I should become a getaway driver then. 

Of course. You can replicate 2 fast 2 furious! 

Ryzen 2700X - Crosshair VII Hero - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - 3200@CL14, 1.35v  

EVGA BE SC 1080 Ti - Samsung EVO 960 500GB - EVGA 750 G3 - Design R6 TG blackout

Cooling: 3x NF-S12A in front - Kraken X62 on CPU (2x NF-A14) - Kraken X42 on GPU (1x NF-A14)

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

still need someone to pilot the extraction craft. who here has got some time on Flight Simulator?

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Someone who played a lot of Gran Turismo did land an actual racing career: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2014/apr/07/video-gaming-jann-mardenborough-motor-racing

I can't find the article but someone else who plays one of those racing sim games at the championship level also got a chance to try the real thing and he did surprisingly well despite having no experience outside of games. The only thing that kept him from completing a full race was he didn't have the physical fitness to do so (not that he was obese or anything, but it does take a high level of physical fitness to be able to throw a car around like that)

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

still need someone to pilot the extraction craft. who here has got some time on Flight Simulator?

Me! Specially with my HOTAS controller xD

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Someone who played a lot of Gran Turismo did land an actual racing career: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2014/apr/07/video-gaming-jann-mardenborough-motor-racing

I can't find the article but someone else who plays one of those racing sim games at the championship also got a chance to try the real thing and he did surprisingly well despite having no experience outside of games. The only thing that kept him from completing a full race was he didn't have the physical fitness to do so (not that he was obese or anything, but it does take a high level of physical fitness to be able to throw a car around like that)

It's not like there are no skills that translate between games and irl activities like racing - you do gain stuff like better reflexes and cool headed decision making. And in the case of a car you have some idea of when you probably should be braking compared to someone who never drove a car and hasn't played a racing game. I'm pretty good at laser tag and I definitely think playing games had something to do with that.

Still, that doesn't mean it's a substitute for actual training or practice doing the real thing. The guy in the article was probably reasonably fit to begin with and got trained by the Kurdish - his game experience might have helped a little at the beginning but it was hardly enough on its own.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Arika S said:

old as hell news story.

guy is a tool and sets a dangerous notion for impressionable kids that playing shooters will allow you to go and fight in a real war. pretty irresponsible.

I’m 100% sure the army also taught him a thing or two before deployment.

13 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

This is what he learned?

Most of that is common sense.

4 minutes ago, floofer said:

I’m 100% sure the army also taught him a thing or two before deployment.

If he got deployed at all, he would have had to learn a bit more than a thing or two while passing BCT.

21 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I can't find the article but someone else who plays one of those racing sim games at the championship level also got a chance to try the real thing and he did surprisingly well despite having no experience outside of games. The only thing that kept him from completing a full race was he didn't have the physical fitness to do so (not that he was obese or anything, but it does take a high level of physical fitness to be able to throw a car around like that)

Yeah, people who play a ton of sim racing games usually will already have the necessary skills prepped and primed. 

Although they would still need training to complete the transition from virtual sim racing to real racing. GT Academy did that. 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5