Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stefan Payne

Do you want the best Performance now or have the CPU longer?

Do you prefer best performance NOW if you have to sacrifice Performance in a couple of years?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer best performance NOW if you have to sacrifice Performance in a couple of years? Or do you prefer a bit less now but have the system a couple of years longer?

• I want the best performance now, upgrade every couple of years anyway
    • I want the best performance now, don't upgrade regularly, but every 5 Years or less is fine
    • I want to use my System as long as the Performance is enough, at least 5-10 Years if possible
    • no idea/show poll...

Posted · Original PosterOP

Good old Question:
If you build a PC; do you want to use it as long as possible (ie 5-10 Years) or do you want it now and don't care what happens in 3-5 years?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Do you prefer best performance NOW if you have to sacrifice Performance in a couple of years?

Why would I have to sacrifice performance later?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I would think in the enthusiast space, which most of us reside, its ideal and likely expected that we would buy the best now we can, and upgrade in 3-5 years as thats the normal cycle most go through, though this can very depending on life circumstances and finances for each person. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 1800x @ 4.0ghz | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 32gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair ML140 Pro White LED case fans | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Case Fans 

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

its a question of 4c/4t vs 4c/8t or 6c/12t

where the addition of extra pipelines allow for games that require 4 or more threads to work properly wihout stuttering. 

we see this with the 2500k and 2600k where with HT it is still a viable CPU today, while the 2500k isnt. 

in other words, would you choose to have a 0-10% increase in average framerate while having to suffer through an increasing number of games with worse and worse frametime performance. 

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

This thread was mostly inspired by the fact (and a recent test done by techspot)  that ryzen1600 would be a better choice now, than a 9400f,  even though the latter has higher single core, single thread performance. 

Techspot found re-testing 1600 vs core 7600k,  that at the time of introduction, the latter was superieur, while today the opposite is true. More and more games and tasks benefit vrom more cores and multithreading. 

Therefore, most of the times it is rational to opt for a decent am4 board with dirt cheap 1st gen ryzen, as you'll be able to upgrade later to 3-4th gen ryzens, and its also possible that later you'll see more benefits with higher core and thread count. 

My favourite reccomendation nowadays ryzen1600 with msi b450m mortar, bazooka or asrock b450m Pro4 board. Cpu is roughly 90-100€ 2nd hand with warranty, boards go around 70-80€. And you'll have the chance to upgrade to much better CPU soon... 

I usually don't plan around having my system for 5 years without changing anything. I'm a gamer, so I plan my PC around games that I play, not around time that I will be using the system.

Main system: i7 8700k 5Ghz / Asus Prime Z370-A / Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000Mhz / Gigabyte RTX2080 Aorus Extreme / EVGA 750W GQ / Fractal Design Meshify C

i usually leave it stock as long as its relativly up to date and can already keep up and then over time i try compensating.

so right now  im just starting to think about getting my 7700k delid before i put it under water and maybe oc it but i might just uv it for now since it seems to do the trick right now but i would really love to see the temps fall as much as possible but usually i oc towards the end of my relationship with a piece of hardware

basically when i feel like i need to upgrade but cant or wont because the market is shit right now im waiting for something specific to come out that when i bridge that time by trying to get at least a bit more out of the stuff i have before i resell it.

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

I don't really want to sacrifice, but i bought an 1700X. For the reason of longevity.
AM4 should be supported for a while and the 8 cores are a lot for now.
So yeah pay more for a good motherboard so you can later upgrade the CPU and memory and GPU.

Just dont skimp on the PSU since that wont change get a good one and use it for over a decade. :)

It's a rather strange question to ask that way.

Is the reason that CPU's are more up to date because the market is advancing on a slower pace?

Intel 6700k @4.5Ghz, Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 3200Mhz ( CMK16GX4M2B3200C16(R) ), Radeon VII, GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 (1.0),Cooler Master PSU Vanguard V850 850W, SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB