Do you want the best Performance now or have the CPU longer?

Do you prefer best performance NOW if you have to sacrifice Performance in a couple of years?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer best performance NOW if you have to sacrifice Performance in a couple of years? Or do you prefer a bit less now but have the system a couple of years longer?

• I want the best performance now, upgrade every couple of years anyway
    • I want the best performance now, don't upgrade regularly, but every 5 Years or less is fine
    • I want to use my System as long as the Performance is enough, at least 5-10 Years if possible
    • no idea/show poll...

Good old Question:
If you build a PC; do you want to use it as long as possible (ie 5-10 Years) or do you want it now and don't care what happens in 3-5 years?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Do you prefer best performance NOW if you have to sacrifice Performance in a couple of years?

Why would I have to sacrifice performance later?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I would think in the enthusiast space, which most of us reside, its ideal and likely expected that we would buy the best now we can, and upgrade in 3-5 years as thats the normal cycle most go through, though this can very depending on life circumstances and finances for each person. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

its a question of 4c/4t vs 4c/8t or 6c/12t

where the addition of extra pipelines allow for games that require 4 or more threads to work properly wihout stuttering. 

we see this with the 2500k and 2600k where with HT it is still a viable CPU today, while the 2500k isnt. 

in other words, would you choose to have a 0-10% increase in average framerate while having to suffer through an increasing number of games with worse and worse frametime performance. 

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

This thread was mostly inspired by the fact (and a recent test done by techspot)  that ryzen1600 would be a better choice now, than a 9400f,  even though the latter has higher single core, single thread performance. 

Techspot found re-testing 1600 vs core 7600k,  that at the time of introduction, the latter was superieur, while today the opposite is true. More and more games and tasks benefit vrom more cores and multithreading. 

Therefore, most of the times it is rational to opt for a decent am4 board with dirt cheap 1st gen ryzen, as you'll be able to upgrade later to 3-4th gen ryzens, and its also possible that later you'll see more benefits with higher core and thread count. 

My favourite reccomendation nowadays ryzen1600 with msi b450m mortar, bazooka or asrock b450m Pro4 board. Cpu is roughly 90-100€ 2nd hand with warranty, boards go around 70-80€. And you'll have the chance to upgrade to much better CPU soon... 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

I usually don't plan around having my system for 5 years without changing anything. I'm a gamer, so I plan my PC around games that I play, not around time that I will be using the system.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

i usually leave it stock as long as its relativly up to date and can already keep up and then over time i try compensating.

so right now  im just starting to think about getting my 7700k delid before i put it under water and maybe oc it but i might just uv it for now since it seems to do the trick right now but i would really love to see the temps fall as much as possible but usually i oc towards the end of my relationship with a piece of hardware

basically when i feel like i need to upgrade but cant or wont because the market is shit right now im waiting for something specific to come out that when i bridge that time by trying to get at least a bit more out of the stuff i have before i resell it.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I don't really want to sacrifice, but i bought an 1700X. For the reason of longevity.
AM4 should be supported for a while and the 8 cores are a lot for now.
So yeah pay more for a good motherboard so you can later upgrade the CPU and memory and GPU.

Just dont skimp on the PSU since that wont change get a good one and use it for over a decade. :)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

It's a rather strange question to ask that way.

Is the reason that CPU's are more up to date because the market is advancing on a slower pace?

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle