Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DrMacintosh

AirPower is dead

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Despite not being innovative for decades.

It redefined expectations for personal computers, MP3 players, smartphones and tablets, and its smartwatch is widely considered the gold standard. I'd say that's innovative.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It redefined expectations for personal computers, MP3 players, smartphones and tablets, and its smartwatch is widely considered the gold standard. I'd say that's innovative.

Going at this in order:

PCs. Marketting campaign.

MP3 players. Marketting campaign.

Smartphones. Marketting campaign.

Tablets. Marketting campaign.

Smartwatch. Marketting campaign.

 

They didn't innovate in any of these categories, they just did what others did, and marketted the absolute hell out of it. Apple has not been innovative for decades.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing weird is they announced it before they had a semi functional thing and just hoped for the best and then failed to deliver it. One thing is saying "hey, our engineers are poking at the idea of doing X and maybe we'll be able to deliver it". They basically had a press release on what looked like a finished product undergoing finishing touches...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
29 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

PCs. Marketting campaign.

MP3 players. Marketting campaign.

Smartphones. Marketting campaign.

Tablets. Marketting campaign.

Smartwatch. Marketting campaign.

 

They didn't innovate in any of these categories, they just did what others did, and marketted the absolute hell out of it.

If you're definition of innovation is "nobody has every done this before" then essentially no major brand has ever innovated. They have only taken the results of individuals ideas and marketed them. 

 

The real dictionary definition of Innovation is a new method, idea, or product. Going by that, Apple has very much so been innovating ever since they were founded:

 

They innovate through new methods: user experience, industry leading SoCs, design, iOS, macOS, watchOS, security, software updates, etc.

They innovate through their ideas: 3D Touch, ForceTouch Trackpads, TrueTone, iTunes, App Store, AirDrop, iCloud, Time Machine, etc.

They innovate through their products: iMac, MacBook, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, Services, etc.

 

That's just some stuff that I could come up with off the top of my head. 

 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If you're definition of innovation is "nobody has every done this before" then essentially no major brand has ever innovated. They have only taken the results of individuals ideas and marketed them.  

 

The real dictionary definition of Innovation is a new method, idea, or product.

Except they took existing implementations of existing products, and marketted the hell out of them. They didn't bring anything new to the table.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Except they took existing implementations of existing products, and marketted the hell out of them. They didn't bring anything new to the table.

So what? Bringing something new to the table is not, on its own, a part of the definition of innovation. 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrMacintosh said:

So what? Bringing something new to the table is not, on its own, a part of the definition of innovation. 

 

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The real dictionary definition of Innovation is a new method, idea, or product.

 


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

 

 

So you are aware that every time Apple releases a new version of iOS/macOS/watchOS/tvOS they satisfy the "new method" portion of Innovation and therefore satisfy the definition of innovation. That's just before they make any hardware changes or release a new version of a product. 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

So you are aware that every time Apple releases a new version of iOS/macOS/watchOS/tvOS they satisfy the "new method" portion of Innovation and therefore satisfy the definition of innovation. That's just before they make any hardware changes or release a new version of a product. 

No, they don't.

 

They release iterative steps, following other industries, while marketting it as heavily as possible.

 

Innovation is dead at Apple. Has been since Jobs took back control of the company.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

They release iterative steps, following other industries, while marketting it as heavily as possible.

 

Innovation is dead at Apple. Has been since Jobs took back control of the company.

I'm interested to know your answer to this. Who do you think is innovating, and has constantly innovated, in the mobile tech industry? 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoseLuck462 said:

that’s more innovative than most.

Not innovation.

 

1 minute ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Apple supports each product for far longer than any other company at that

In the phone space.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

 

Yea the Mac pro is not such a good example lmao. This hasn't aged well


Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Who do you think is innovating

Currently, Samsung and LG.

 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

has constantly innovated

No one. Innovation is not a constant.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Drak3 said:

No one. Innovation is not a constant.

Ok. So then you do realize you are holding Apple to an impossible standard. 

 

Even if Apple hasn't innovated since Jobs died, by your own admission it doesn't matter. 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Yea the Mac mini is not such a good example lmao. This hasn't aged well

Yeah, but it is a funny clip. 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Currently, Samsung and LG.

Also how are those companies innovating exactly? What about their products satisfy the definition of Innovation while Apple's products don't? 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrMacintosh said:

So then you do realize you are holding Apple to an impossible standard. 

No, I'm not.

Simply put, Apple doesn't innovate. They haven't innovated anything in a long time. To claim otherwise is foolish.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Even if Apple hasn't innovated since Jobs died, by your own admission it doesn't matter.

It does when someone's lying that they are innovative.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Also how are those companies innovating exactly? What about their products satisfy the definition of Innovation while Apple's products don't? 

Folding screen tech.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Folding screen tech.

Since folding display technology is still in the developmental stages and is not on the market and won't be for some time (at least on any large scale)- by your own logic- because Apple is currently developing microLED display technology, they too are innovating. 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple is currently developing microLED display technology, they too are innovating. 

They're not innovating anything, becuase other companies (notably Samsung) have already come out with the technology. Any development Apple is doing is in house manufacturing.

 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

is not on the market and won't be for some time (at least on any large scale)

Scale is irrelevant and the Galaxy Fold is coming out soon.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They're not innovating anything, becuase other companies (notably Samsung) have already come out with the technology. Any development Apple is doing is in house manufacturing.

How is that different from what is happening with folding screens? The tech existed before, Samsung and LG are just marketing the hell out of it. 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrMacintosh said:

How is that different from what is happening with folding screens? The tech existed before, Samsung and LG are just marketing the hell out of it. 

There was no tech that enabled screens themselves to be folded. The preceding design was 2 screens next to each other and wrapping screens didn't permit both the flexibility and rigidity.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Going at this in order:

PCs. Marketting campaign.

MP3 players. Marketting campaign.

Smartphones. Marketting campaign.

Tablets. Marketting campaign.

Smartwatch. Marketting campaign.

 

They didn't innovate in any of these categories, they just did what others did, and marketted the absolute hell out of it. Apple has not been innovative for decades.

*sigh* just another PC fanboy who can’t afford a Mac

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

The preceding design was 2 screens next to each other and wrapping screens didn't permit both the flexibility and rigidity.

Sounds to me like Samsung and LG just iterated on an existing tech 🤷‍♂️


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×