Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Psittac

ESXi trial ending

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've got a cold so it's hard to research right now.  But my ESXi trial is ending in 3 day's that I got directly from vmware.  Is there a cheap and easy way to upgrade from the trial?

 

I remember that I got a free copy of esxi on my first server from dell directly but I ended up not doing virtual machines on that one.  I could see if this server comes with esxi from Dell but really don't want to go through all of the work of redoing my VM server.  I don't have a vga monitor any more would be one issue.

 

What do you guy's do for ESXi licensing?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to the VMware website, create an account if you don't have one right now, go to the ESXi download page and select the "Licsense & Download" section.

There should be a free license key listed you can enter on your ESXi Web gui under manage > Licensing. The only restriction should be that you can't create backups.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, Acedia said:

Go to the VMware website, create an account if you don't have one right now, go to the ESXi download page and select the "Licsense & Download" section.

There should be a free license key listed you can enter on your ESXi Web gui under manage > Licensing. The only restriction should be that you can't create backups.

It's looking like they want me to pay for it, I was only given a trial.  Considering I only have one VM running on it I don't think it's worth it.  I just wanted to future proof it incase I needed to do more than one thing on it.  I guess I will just wipe the server and start fresh, nothing important is on it and it's barely used.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the free ESXi license. Just go here... https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor.html

If you don't already have a free account, make one. Log in and download "VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7 - Binaries". You will get a 25 character license key (found under your account "license information") which is good for the very basic features. If you do reinstall ESXi you can have fun with the full feature product for the 30 days then put in your key to remove the count down as well as all premium features.


There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

 

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

ESXI

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Psittac said:

It's looking like they want me to pay for it, I was only given a trial.  Considering I only have one VM running on it I don't think it's worth it.  I just wanted to future proof it incase I needed to do more than one thing on it.  I guess I will just wipe the server and start fresh, nothing important is on it and it's barely used.

ESXi has a free license. If you want all the amazing features and it's for home use sign up for VMUG EVALExperience, tens of thousands dollars worth of VMware licenses for $200/yr. Only go down that path if you need the features, I don't think you do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, datboi8192 said:

Theres always the free KVM (virt-manager / proxmox) and Xen too 😝

Xen is no longer free, XCP-ng is the free fork of it now ;)

 

17 hours ago, Acedia said:

Go to the VMware website, create an account if you don't have one right now, go to the ESXi download page and select the "Licsense & Download" section.

There should be a free license key listed you can enter on your ESXi Web gui under manage > Licensing. The only restriction should be that you can't create backups.

The free version is hidden somewhat. You need to browse for it specifically.

 

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6


PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Xen is no longer free, XCP-ng is the free fork of it now ;)

 

Xen is open source and free.  Xenserver/Citrix Hypervisor is a product from Citrix. 


"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bloodthirster said:

 

Xen is open source and free.  Xenserver/Citrix Hypervisor is a product from Citrix. 

Ah I forgot about Xen, I thought he meant XenServer, which was free until last year.


PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Ah I forgot about Xen, I thought he meant XenServer, which was free until last year.

He mentioned KVM (which isn't a product) so I don't know.

 

I personally prefer Xen over Xenserver/Citrix Hypervisor mainly due to the fact that I'm used to working with Xen via CLI and not the "fancy" GUI.   Xen is actually pretty easy to install from source too (much easier than qemu and libvirt [libvirt is a nightmare]), if that's your thing.


"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bloodthirster said:

He mentioned KVM (which isn't a product) so I don't know.

 

I personally prefer Xen over Xenserver/Citrix Hypervisor mainly due to the fact that I'm used to working with Xen via CLI and not the "fancy" GUI.   Xen is actually pretty easy to install from source too (much easier than qemu and libvirt [libvirt is a nightmare]), if that's your thing.

I prefer not to use CLI if I don't have to. I'm used to ESXi and XenServer which allow full configuration via their WebUI or dedicated management client.


PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

as above. for standalone ESXi there is a FREE license.

 

the EVAL license is equivalent to vSphere Enterprise Plus, which is the full featured version that you wont be using ANY features of if you've only got 1 host. all the paid-for features are around clusters of multiple hosts

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×