Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tinpanalley

Quoting other members?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm having massive trouble using the quote feature. I just want to quote a big reply from someone and break it up into pieces using QUOTE tags to reply to individual sections. I can't seem to control at all what chunks to reply to. Can anyone help me figure this out?

1 minute ago, tinpanalley said:

I'm having massive trouble using the quote feature. 

You can delete text when you 'Quote'someone's reply.

2 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

I just want to quote a big reply from someone and break it up into pieces using QUOTE tags to reply to individual sections. 

Then when you click the quote arrow again, you can delete the part you included in the first 'Quote'

3 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Does this clear it up for you? Also, there may be another way but this is how I do it. 

Noctua NF or Corsair ML? ‖ PSU Tier List

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds

Blueberry Pi : R7 1700 OC@3.9GHz ‖ Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz ‖ EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB ‖ EVGA 850W P2 ‖ Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue) ‖ Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Server + Streaming PC : i7-8700k OC@5.0GHz (Delid) ‖ Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB (Black) ‖ EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB ‖ EVGA 750W P2 ‖ Corsair H100i Pro ‖ 4x IronWolf 8TB 7200RPM (Raid 10) ‖ Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower

New Build In Progress: R7 1700 ‖ Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Gaming ITX ‖ G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz (Grey) ‖ Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB ‖ Corsair SF 450W ‖ Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB ‖ Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

Big White : i7-6700k OC@4.8GHz ‖ Asus Z270I ROG Gaming Wi-Fi AC ITX  ‖ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White) ‖ Asus GTX 1060 Dual Series OC 6GB ‖ Corsair RM650i ‖ Thermaltake Frio Silent 12 (White) ‖ Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition Mini ITX Cube

Mini IPC : Pentium G4600T ‖ MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX ‖ Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB 2400MHz (Black) ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ Built-In 150W Inwin PSU ‖ Cryorig C7 ‖ Inwin BQ696 Mini ITX Case W/ PSU Black

Laptop: Dell XPS13 (2017) ‖ i7-7550U ‖ 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ 512GB m.2 SSD ‖ QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

6 minutes ago, JM21 said:

You can delete text when you 'Quote'someone's reply.

Then when you click the quote arrow again, you can delete the part you included in the first 'Quote'

Does this clear it up for you? Also, there may be another way but this is how I do it. 

Yeah, but the problem is I can't seem to get into the space to actually type when I do that. I mean I've done it here, but the moment I go into the quote, I go back and can't type anything? Isn't there an easier way to do this? Can I switch to HTML somehow?

You can also highlight a selection of the post you want to quote and just create a quote out of that. Easier than trying to delete everything but the section you want.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

6 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Yeah, but the problem is I can't seem to get into the space to actually type when I do that. 

Just click out of the text box. Type what you want to, then hit enter to create a space.

7 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

I mean I've done it here, but the moment I go into the quote, I go back and can't type anything? Isn't there an easier way to do this? Can I switch to HTML somehow?

Hit quote again, and then click out of the text box to continue typing, it is pretty easy. 

Noctua NF or Corsair ML? ‖ PSU Tier List

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds

Blueberry Pi : R7 1700 OC@3.9GHz ‖ Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz ‖ EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB ‖ EVGA 850W P2 ‖ Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue) ‖ Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Server + Streaming PC : i7-8700k OC@5.0GHz (Delid) ‖ Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB (Black) ‖ EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB ‖ EVGA 750W P2 ‖ Corsair H100i Pro ‖ 4x IronWolf 8TB 7200RPM (Raid 10) ‖ Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower

New Build In Progress: R7 1700 ‖ Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Gaming ITX ‖ G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz (Grey) ‖ Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB ‖ Corsair SF 450W ‖ Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB ‖ Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

Big White : i7-6700k OC@4.8GHz ‖ Asus Z270I ROG Gaming Wi-Fi AC ITX  ‖ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White) ‖ Asus GTX 1060 Dual Series OC 6GB ‖ Corsair RM650i ‖ Thermaltake Frio Silent 12 (White) ‖ Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition Mini ITX Cube

Mini IPC : Pentium G4600T ‖ MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX ‖ Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB 2400MHz (Black) ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ Built-In 150W Inwin PSU ‖ Cryorig C7 ‖ Inwin BQ696 Mini ITX Case W/ PSU Black

Laptop: Dell XPS13 (2017) ‖ i7-7550U ‖ 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ 512GB m.2 SSD ‖ QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

2 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Yeah, but the problem is I can't seem to get into the space to actually type when I do that...

When making partial quotes, please use an ellipsis (...) to indicate where a portion of the quote has been omitted. Three periods in a row are the quick and dirty way to make an ellipsis. Any time you only partially quote someone, there is the potential that you will change the meaning of the entire quote, which would have the same effect as misquoting. Not indicating that a quote has part of it omitted is considered to be bad form. Sadly, it happens all to frequently, mostly because people don't know better although it can be used to deliberately misrepresent what someone actually said.

Note in the example above how I used an ellipsis to indicate that text at the end of the quote has been omitted.

...I mean I've done it here, but the moment I go into the quote, I go back and can't type anything?...

In this example, I've omitted text both before and after the quote, hence the ellipsis at the beginning and end of the quote.

...Isn't there an easier way to do this? Can I switch to HTML somehow?

In this case, only text preceding the quote has been omitted, so an ellipsis appears only before the quote.

I've been omitting only complete sentences but one can also omit part of a sentence as well.

It's also possible to use an ellipsis in the middle of a sentence, should you ever want to omit something in the middle of a quoted sentence. It's not done commonly done, however. This is an example of it.

I'm having massive trouble using the quote feature. I just want to quote a big reply from someone...using QUOTE tags to reply to individual sections. I can't seem to control at all what chunks to reply to. Can anyone help me figure this out?

In this case, I omitted "and break it up into pieces" from the second sentence. In this case it does not appreciably alter the meaning of the sentence but the omission still needs to be indicated, as I have done (the omission was rather pointless in this case but it served as an example). 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Yeah, but the problem is I can't seem to get into the space to actually type when I do that.

Easiest way...

I mean I've done it here, but the moment I go into the quote, I go back and can't type anything?

... is to press enter-key twice, or do new paragraph. You need to hit it quickly, otherwise you get just ton of empty space. Works on mobile too, as I'm typing this with Firefox on Android.

Isn't there an easier way to do this? Can I switch to HTML somehow?

Having HTML editor would be security risk. There are complaints about this time to time, but majority of users have learned to cope. BBCode was a thing previously, but forum software devs decided to go different route.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You can highlight text in the original post, and click the "quote this" button. Alternatively, as mentioned above, you can double-press enter within a quote in the editor to split it into two quotes at the caret.

9 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Yeah, but the problem is I can't seem to get into the space to actually type when I do that. I mean I've done it here, but the moment I go into the quote, I go back and can't type anything? Isn't there an easier way to do this? Can I switch to HTML somehow?

You can't type anything when you click back into the main editor section, away from the quote? What browser are you using?

I don't work for Floatplane Media, so any Floatplane comments that I make are my own and may be incorrect or in conflict with the official view.

For Floatplane support, please use the wizard linked in this topic

6 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

You can highlight text in the original post, and click the "quote this" button. Alternatively, as mentioned above, you can double-press enter within a quote in the editor to split it into two quotes at the caret.

You can't type anything when you click back into the main editor section, away from the quote? What browser are you using?

Firefox.

A-HA! Highlighting brings up a quote pop-up! Never seen that before because why would you highlight text in a forum. I guess I'm from older forum days 😄

That double click is brilliant as well.

So, what is this forum software/interface called so I can go online and search for more usage tips like this and learn it better? I assume this is a UI/UX thing that will become a forum standard soon.

1 hour ago, tinpanalley said:

So, what is this forum software/interface called so I can go online and search for more usage tips like this and learn it better? I assume this is a UI/UX thing that will become a forum standard soon.

IPS. And I hope not. They aren't very keen on taking feature suggestions,

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv