Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fasauceome

Pentium with no graphics, but for who?

Posted · Original PosterOP

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13982/intel-pentium-g5600f

Intel has unveiled a Pentium that lacks an iGPU, but I have to ask, who the hell is this for? For budget gaming, I have a hard time recommending even a quad core, and if the 9900KF is anything to go by, this Pentium will cost the same as the one with an iGPU. What would the use case for this be?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

Feel free to critique my website. I am but a young entrepreneur.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

all I could think of is basic mining with just few gpus.

A bit late for that, Intel would know that for sure. Also, what about mining cards with no video output? That would make this once again useless.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

It'd be decent for a preconfig'd NAS.

Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

Pyo.

Why do people think the 9900KF will overclock to 5.5ghz and such because its iGPU is dead?

If any thing it might overclock worse given the silicon was bad enough to give you a defective iGPU lol! but honestly if the iGPU is already disabled it makes no difference between the 9900K and 9900KF, right?

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.8ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Just now, Drak3 said:

It'd be decent for a preconfig'd NAS.

I guess, but the last Nas I got had an atom in it, cheaper and decent enough. Is there a specific price point this would help out?

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Why do people think the 9900KF will overclock to 5.5ghz and such because its iGPU is dead?

No heat from the iGPU, and more power available to the CPU cores.

Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Pyo.

Just now, fasauceome said:

I guess, but the last Nas I got had an atom in it, cheaper and decent enough. Is there a specific price point this would help out?

It depends on what you're doing with the NAS. My NAS had a BGA Pentium.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

But if it's turned OFF already why would it be producing heat and consuming energy?

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.8ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The iGPU is allready dissabled and if power is an issue, then its the mobo and not the CPU. Also the iGPU draws power from the memmory VRM. 

It shouldnt have any difference compared to their iGPU counterparts. 

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

But if it's turned OFF already why would it be producing heat and consuming energy?

@GoldenLag

It's not off unless you explicitly turn it off. It's still being used for things like hardware acceleration.

Pyo.

The pentium might be useful for systems that need good decoding capability and a regular GPU to do so. 

That might be the only market for this thing.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

The pentium might be useful for systems that need good decoding capability and a regular GPU to do so. 

That might be the only market for this thing.

That's a rather slim market, and I wonder if a Celeron would do just fine in that case

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

@GoldenLag

It's not off unless you explicitly turn it off. It's still being used for things like hardware acceleration.

And during idle it draws like nothing. And powerlines are seperate

Shouldnt affect OC limits.

Just now, fasauceome said:

That's a rather slim market, and I wonder if a Celeron would do just fine in that case

I mean, even in that market it wouldnt be chosen because the pricing of the hardware is allready high. They will je running core i5 shiz at least imo

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Shouldnt affect OC limits.

That's not something we can be sure of yet.

Pyo.

No F series chip makes any sense so long as it costs the same as the version with a GPU...

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

I can normally come up with some edge case scenario for just about anything. I'm a creative person. But... Im stumped. This is just Intel trying to justify the poor yield rate of its manufacturing process.

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX300, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Corsair CX 750, Fractal Define Mini C TG, Windows 10 Enterprise

School Laptop: Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody. C2D P7350, nVidia 9800M, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Mojave. Also my editing laptop (FCP > Adobe Premier)

Phone: Galaxy Note 8, Android 8.0

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

Just now, SenpaiKaplan said:

This is just Intel trying to justify the poor yield rate of its manufacturing process.

I mean, on the one hand, I like reducing e waste, and not tossing a CPU.

On the other, it still makes no sense to charge the same amount for an F or no F SKU.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I can normally come up with some edge case scenario for just about anything.

IThey'd make sense for prebuilt systems like the Alienware Alpha, where there is a dGPU and the iGPU is legitimately useless for most people.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That's not something we can be sure of yet.

Its all based on yields. Dont think Intel binned these to be better. Especially since it has a defected iGPU

I would only buy this if it came unlocked.

Other than that i could just get a 2200g 

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Dont think Intel binned these to be better. Especially since it has a defected iGPU

That still leaves the possibility for some of these chips to be able to squeeze another hundred MHz, because it's the iGPU that's defective, not the entire chip. The silicon lottery is still at play, and again, an iGPU might though out enough heat or draw enough power to hinder the last little bit of potential.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Emanbaird said:

You need a Z series board. So......

Also you can get an 200GE and use a certain BIOS revision on the B seroes board to overclock.

1 minute ago, Emanbaird said:

Yeah the value proposition is terrible for Pentium right now, it's like $115 for the G5600

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6: