How do people get banned off of a homebrewed/hacked Nintendo Switch?

SnowCells

I obviously understand how people can get banned off of a hacked switch if they are hacking in an online game like Splatoon 2 or Smash, but I have also heard that people have gotten banned from just playing on a hacked switch (Like emulating old games). How does this happen? Do they get reported by the people they know or something?

3 minutes ago, SnowCells said:

I obviously understand how people can get banned off of a hacked switch if they are hacking in an online game like Splatoon 2 or Smash, but I have also heard that people have gotten banned from just playing on a hacked switch (Like emulating old games). How does this happen? Do they get reported by the people they know or something?

Possible your "cracked system" triggered a DMCA detection algorithm Nintendo has set up as well. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Possible your "cracked system" triggered a DMCA detection algorithm Nintendo has set up as well. 

This is what happens, it "phones home" every so often and your device gets added to a list that is banned periodically.

Playing online with a hacked console? nobody could be THAT dumb... right boys? boys? tell me

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

If you "hack" your console, DO NOT GO ONLINE with it. Get rid of every Wifi networks you may have added in your console's settings to be extra sure.

Simple as that.

Like the others have said, it phone home once in a while, to detect illegitimate use.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

16 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

15 hours ago, imreloadin said:

This is what happens, it "phones home" every so often and your device gets added to a list that is banned periodically.

15 hours ago, TetraSky said:

If you "hack" your console, DO NOT GO ONLINE with it. Get rid of every Wifi networks you may have added in your console's settings to be extra sure.

Simple as that.

Like the others have said, it phone home once in a while, to detect illegitimate use.

{Just want to clear some suspicion; 1) My switch is not homebrewed at the moment, and I have not gotten banned from it. 2) I am by no means an online cheater or hacker 3) I only plan to emulate older games on it (like N64, S/NES, or GBA games) 4) When I say "hacked", I mean homebrewing your switch. Sorry for any confusion}

Are you guys saying that you will get banned if you are using homebrewed software (Like an emulator) while connected to internet, or are you saying that Nintendo will detect if you even have homebrewed software, and then ban you?

10 minutes ago, SnowCells said:

Are you guys saying that you will get banned if you are using homebrewed software (Like an emulator) while connected to internet, or are you saying that Nintendo will detect if you even have homebrewed software, and then ban you?

Yes.

Nintendo has a Zero tolerance  for emulated software. They have even been known to hunt down users for emulating.

Ah Nintendo, when will you stop being so overzealous?

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Yes.

Nintendo has a Zero tolerance  for emulated software. They have even been known to hunt down users for emulating.

Ah Nintendo, when will you stop being so overzealous?

never knew protecting IP and enforcing copyright was considered overzealous. why shouldn't they get compensated for their work?

23 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

never knew protecting IP and enforcing copyright was considered overzealous. why shouldn't they get compensated for their work?

Doesn't virtual console not sync with all your devices? That's scummy.

I think the Switch doesn't even have it?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

37 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

You misunderstood, I was being sarcastic. ;) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Emulation is still piracy. Why would you expect to not get banned for it?

No it isn't.  That's like saying steel should be illegal because you can make a knife capable of stabbing someone out of it.

1 hour ago, captain_aggravated said:

No it isn't.  That's like saying steel should be illegal because you can make a knife capable of stabbing someone out of it.

So you're that one in a million that actually rips your own NES, SNES, N64, etc cartridges?

I have done that, yes.  I've also run some of my old PC games in DOSbox.

I've also purchased titles on the Wii Virtual Console, which works by emulation. Does anyone else remember when someone dumped the ROMs from the Wii Virtual Console and found they contained code from community ROM formats, including iNES headers? ?

Emulation itself ain't the problem.

2 hours ago, captain_aggravated said:

I have done that, yes.  I've also run some of my old PC games in DOSbox.

I've also purchased titles on the Wii Virtual Console, which works by emulation. Does anyone else remember when someone dumped the ROMs from the Wii Virtual Console and found they contained code from community ROM formats, including iNES headers? ?

Emulation itself ain't the problem.

Sorry, I meant unofficial emulation is (nearly) always piracy. Obviously buying games off the Wii VC or buying an NES Classic and running it stock wouldn't be piracy.