Should we allow Wondershare advertising on our forum?

LinusTech

At least linus is not using google ads,which tracks us,and also display inappropriate ads like Asian Women kind of thing.

I would not mind ads at all as long as they are not random ads and hosted by google.

i know i know but what i really like about ltt is that it isnt one of those forums spammed by 1000 and 1 adds 24/7 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

The forum homepage and the 'site' homepage would be safe places to have an advertising box or 2.

Sure, whatever helps you guys out. Won't be bothered anyways with adblock on.

That's a bit rude don't you think?

Linus is basically saying "We don't want to flood this place with crappy in-your-face ads, but we would like to get some reputable companies to invest a little by have a couple of their ads on my site."

By not 'seeing' these ads, you may be restricting Linus from a dollar or 2.... But what if a lot of people think like this?

Linus would then not receive sufficient funds for this forum/site to be profitable from.

Currently, if I'm not mistaken.. Linus is not making any money, and in fact he is paying out of his own pocket.... (and I think windspeed36 is also) to have this forum stay online.

Adblock is not illegal, and I know it's a lot easier to have all ads blocked, BUT *my opinion* is that the adblock users should have it disabled at least to the sites they support.

All you have to do is add linustechtips.com to your adblock white list, it's not that hard.

I understand that heaps of people use adblock, but the way you said that in Linus' thread kind of sounded like a big 'screw you' sort of thing.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

The forum homepage and the 'site' homepage would be safe places to have an advertising box or 2.

Linus is basically saying "We don't want to flood this place with crappy in-your-face ads, but we would like to get some reputable companies to invest a little by have a couple of their ads on my site."

By not 'seeing' these ads, you may be restricting Linus from a dollar or 2.... But what if a lot of people think like this?

Linus would then not receive sufficient funds for this forum/site to be profitable from.

Currently, if I'm not mistaken.. Linus is not making any money, and in fact he is paying out of his own pocket.... (and I think windspeed36 is also) to have this forum stay online.

Adblock is not illegal, and I know it's a lot easier to have all ads blocked, BUT *my opinion* is that the adblock users should have it disabled at least to the sites they support.

All you have to do is add linustechtips.com to your adblock white list, it's not that hard.

I understand that heaps of people use adblock, but the way you said that in Linus' thread kind of sounded like a big 'screw you' sort of thing.

Come one,don't be so sensitive.

Come one,don't be so sensitive.

Yeah I know, I probably shouldn't have said all that.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

If it is not very intrusive and does not piss us off then it is probably fine !

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

If it is not very intrusive and does not piss us off then it is probably fine !

Problem is that it's okay for us who know for certain that they won't be using it anyway. It's more about the newcomers who will click on the ad and think that linustechtips recommends it because they let them advertise on this forum. If it turns out to be junk, it may portray a bad light on to the forums itself, which we don't want right?

Looks like a paid version of a set of free tools If you understand what I mean

This reminds me of paid software that was based on FFMPEG :/

Also apparently there customer support sucks : http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12542_102-302396/wondershare-do-not-buy-from-them-caution/

And another http://www.beta.reddit.com/r/software/comments/1e2gav/warning_do_not_install_or_buy_any_wondershare/

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, ads can be very annoying but since most of the users here use adblock it won't be a problem.

And as far as that software is concerned, i have heard only good things about it and i have even seen people use them. If i get a chance(in the middle of uni exams) to visit my friend,i'll check it out myself. He said he bought it a while ago and really liked it. 

So i say go for it!

• CPU i5 3570k - 4.0 Ghz | Motherboard Intel DZ77SL50K | RAM Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600 BUS DDR3 4GBx1 | GPU 2x Sparkle GTX 570 OC editionCase CM 370 EliteStorage Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA HARD DRIVE 64MB CACHEPSU Cooler Master GX series 550W (80+ bronze)Display(s) Samsung 46' series 5 TV(1080p), Dell 20' (1280x1024)Cooling 3x Corsair SP120 QUIET EDITION HIGH STATIC PRESSURE 120MM FAN TWIN PACKKeyboard DELL original default keyboardMouse A4 Tech x2 800dpi | Sound On board~!

http://www.wondershare.com/

Hey Guys,

They reached out and honestly I don't have any experience with their software. I don't want junkware advertised on this site (in fact we try to keep advertising mostly off the site in general) so I want to know what you guys think.

Linus

I'd like to see some ads for ncix, intel, WD, corsair and some of the other guys you work with, maybe you can get a deal with them directly?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

wouldnt mind looks legit

but if anyone is wondering about the backup software for android

they dont support android 4.3 or newer because of  TRIM

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'd like to see some ads for ncix, intel, WD, corsair and some of the other guys you work with, maybe you can get a deal with them directly?

+1

would be better if u go with reputable brands

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yea, reading it again it seems a bit harsh. I didn't mean it negatively, just that i usually have adblock on, so if he wanted to do some advertisement on the site, it wouldn't bother me at all :)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Never heard of them either, but like the majority say, if it helps, why not

The software itself seems kind a bloatware. But of course i could be wrong, though personaly i dont see how this is something the LTT or myself could use to anything.

Still don't get why people use adblock on the LTT forum. The ads on the site isn't really annoying. I admits that i use adblock on other sites. But on the two forums i use regulary, i turn it off.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I'd prefer it stayed to people who's products you actually can stand behind.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I have used their videoconverter before and it worked great. Very easy to use. If its not in my face all the time I wouldn't mind the ad. Anything to help you guys supported financially. :-)

http://www.wondershare.com/

Hey Guys,

They reached out and honestly I don't have any experience with their software. I don't want junkware advertised on this site (in fact we try to keep advertising mostly off the site in general) so I want to know what you guys think.

Linus

Maybe you could have like real ads on the site not like generic google ads

Some interesting comments in here. I'll address a couple of them.

1. We can't only run advertising for products that I personally use. I don't really use much stuff. I'm just one person.

2. We don't want to just rely on advertising from PC hardware companies. Over the long term we'd like to rely *LESS* on them as our primary/only source of revenue because it will generate fewer questions about our credibility and integrity.

3. The Linus Tech Tips forum is no longer a drain on my personal finances. For the first 9-10 months it was, but we ran First Blood (thank you so much to all the contributors) and that covered the initial setup cost with some leftover that has carried us since then. With that said, adblock takes money away from websites and content creators and it's pretty hurtful for me to hear people saying "lol I don't care. adblock ftw." when I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to monetize the website in a way that doesn't bother our users.

Maybe you could have like real ads on the site not like generic google ads

I'm not sure what you mean. We don't have any google ads on this site.

I'm not sure what you mean. We don't have any google ads on this site.

I mean like sponsor ads rather than generic random ads

48,000 members - Average of 1,000+ on at a time.

It may not be the 'best' products, but in the long run it may benefit some of the forum goers and the benefits to Linus & LMG will go a long way. I use AdBlock but do turn it off for LTT forums and personally, I wouldn't be against seeing some ads. I value the community here and would like to see it continue to grow and with growth comes more resources (even though Windspeed says it hardly taxes his server)

Not sure if IPBoard can do it - But possibly having with the 'premium membership' that was going around the other day by adding in an ad-free part in exchange for the profits from the service fee. Win/Win for both parties.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I wouldn't really mind ads as long as they aren't like epileptic flashing "You've got (1) new virus! DOWNLOAD NAOW!!1!!".

I'd prefer if the ads would also match with the selected site theme, so for example night theme would have a darker background with the ad so it won't completely mess up the theme. If that is possible.