The Forum's State of Decay.

miyabwah

You read that title, you clicked this topic, and you read/didn't read the OP. And then you replied to the topic. IMO, each day I'm on this forum, it just keeps getting more boring than the day before. Sure, the forum's growing, but with a growing forum, there's also going to be more A-holes and trolls. Not going to call out any certain members because that would just cause trouble. My point is this forum is just getting boring and dull. Back when certain users were around, the forum was alive and filled and full with energy. Everybody used to be sincere and now it's kinda dying off. This used to be the most Canadian (nice) forum I ever laid my eyes on and now it's becoming like other tech forums. I feel as if this forum is becoming more shitposting than it should be. Post your opinions here.

I feel like to forum's becoming more this:

tumblr_mqju9yUQpb1qi0d6uo1_250.gif

When it used to be this:

linusslick.jpg

You read that title, you clicked this topic, and you read/didn't read the OP. And then you replied to the topic. IMO, each day I'm on this forum, it just keeps getting more boring than the day before. Sure, the forum's growing, but with a growing forum, there's also going to be more A-holes and trolls. Not going to call out any certain members because that would jus cause trouble. My point is this forum is just getting boring and dull. Back when certain users were around, the forum was alive and filled and full with energy. Everybody used to be sincere and now it's kinda dying off. Post your opinions here.

http://linustechtips.com/main/statuses/user/28854-logicdeifying/?status_id=13021

I think they need to invest into new mods and or put the "Forum Helper" badge to some use. 48,000 people modded by 8 mods.. Can get out of hand at times. The mods do as much as they can, even though people think differently. Basically giving people a swift kick in the ass in the right direction is needed. What I see is the mods aren't quite a big presence on the forums. I hardly see them.. except Windspeed and maybe Glenwing who pop in more often and them being kindof the hidden force doesn't deter people from breaking the CoC

On the other hand.. People need to learn how to walk away from a 'internet fight' to make sure things don't take a turn for the worse. 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Granted, the two of us haven't really been on here all that long (right around August, right?) but I'm pretty sure that some of the more vet-like users can probably agree. And some people tend to be really biased or say that your opinion is wrong, even though it's a personal opinion.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I fell the same way. Though I fear that I am part of the problem. 

This summer, the forum was at it's very best. I definitely feel this.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I think they need to invest into new mods and or put the "Forum Helper" badge to some use. 48,000 people modded by 8 mods.. Can get out of hand at times. The mods do as much as they can, even though people think differently. Basically giving people a swift kick in the ass in the right direction is needed.

There's a forum helper badge? I will have to go look at this.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Same stupid topics get rehashed. I understand peoples reasoning, I mean there are so many topics that can be discussed but it does get a bit old. What this forum is great for is keeping up on the latest tech news. This forum is great but it's a bit dry at the moment. 

But even though some of us have a difference of opinion on certain topics, I still love all of you guys :) 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

This summer, the forum was at it's very best. I definitely feel this.

Yep. Right around when I joined. Wait a minute... That sounded kinda bad on my part. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Another one of these topics huh?... Well start inspiring the new crowd or something as apposed to making topics about how the forums getting worse and worse everyday... Nothing against you Lanoi, but I'm sure I speak for other people too when I say everyone is just as tired of these topics as the actual problem its self..

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I feel LinusTechTips has a younger demographic than most tech forums such as overclock and hardforum, and the site still doesn't any accredited information that couldn't be found else where. Also not visiting for a while would help the site not look so dreadful.

you're probably just experiencing an increased in volume. That old community you loved is still probably there, just smaller fraction of it as the forum grows larger and larger and becomes more arbitrary forum go-er X instead of "that one guy" who we all know by name. 

some people want it to be boring and a biological version of an evolving encyclopedia, I will give you that much. There are a lot of complaints about the "fun" that you describe (if I'm inferring correctly) and that push does have an effect on content.

I've been here since March.

I am really feeling the a state of decline in the past few weeks. I think it may just be the number of new people but I am not sure.

I am currently thinking about joing more forums. I am looking at overclock.net. The switch may happen soon and I don't want it too. :(

From what I've seen OCN and Tom's is more boring than here. I used to use OCN but favored LTT.

Error: 410

Granted, the two of us haven't really been on here all that long (right around August, right?) but I'm pretty sure that some of the more vet-like users can probably agree. And some people tend to be really biased or say that your opinion is wrong, even though it's a personal opinion.

I am really feeling the a state of decline in the past few weeks. I think it may just be the number of new people but I am not sure.

I am currently thinking about joing more forums. I am looking at overclock.net. The switch may happen soon and I don't want it too. :(

Quote me to get a reply!

I've read that on every forum I've been on. And it's totally natural to have that feeling imo, but that's how forums work, live and prevail, new members arrive (fortunately), and some leave (sometimes it's for the best, sometimes not).

Sometimes there's a "oldfag core" that remains, but they don't always incarnate the best aspect of a forum.  :rolleyes:

Being here since the beginning (though I don't post that much, I'm more of a lurker), I think the forum is doing pretty fine so far, and there's still so much to do.

OCN isn't as much fun, IMO. I like to help people, and OCN isn't that, fast, I guess. It's really slow, and there aren't many topics. And part of the reason I switched from OCN was that there weren't many people helping there. A topic I'd post there would get 6 replies, and the same topic here would get at least double that.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

OCN isn't as much fun, IMO. I like to help people, and OCN isn't that, fast, I guess. It's really slow, and there aren't many topics. And part of the reason I switched from OCN was that there weren't many people helping there. A topic I'd post there would get 6 replies, and the same topic here would get at least double that.

Yes, I feel the same way about this forum. I love how many people are here and helping. Now days there are a lot of trolls. I won't name names.

We need a higher mod/user ratio, also since there will be mods they will be more online at a time.

Quote me to get a reply!

The larger a group grows, the more time its members has to invest in getting to know the people in it; When it gets to the point where it's hard to remember or recognize people there will be significant drop in interest (or rather, a drop in enthusiasm, because the energy required to enjoy the forum pretty much increases exponentially). I still feel like I strongly belong in the new kids corner, so I apologize for probably being part of the reason for the increasing disinterest.

It's a lovely forum though, once you get to know the folks behind the usernames—you lot are all quite the unique individuals, aren't you.

Cheers,

Linus

Repeated topics, mainly because the search function on this site is so unbelievably broken, I get better results through Google search "LinusTechTips" then thread title etc.

I tend to stick to one subforum, so I haven't noticed too much of what you're saying @Lanoi, it's probably because the regulars are here every single day, of course your going to see repeated topics. 

#!

Yes, I feel the same way about this forum. I love how many people are here and helping. Now days there are a lot of trolls. I won't name names.

We need a higher mod/user ratio, also since there will be mods they will be more online at a time.

I think we have a badge for Forum Helper, which should be something like a non-mod mod, IMO.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I think we have a badge for Forum Helper, which should be something like a non-mod mod, IMO.

We could have people first looking and dealing with trolls and removing/locking threads, and other things like reports could be done by someone else.

Quote me to get a reply!

Been here since May and I can kind of see it yes, even though some people would say I aided the decay.

But, this is how a forum grows, pure and simple.