Photo

Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

• Please log in to reply
1857 replies to this topic
SPFINATOR1993
SPFINATOR1993

• 4 posts
  • LocationMichigan

If I want to join the LTT Folding@Home team, is there anything else I need to do other than enter the team number?

YOU HAVE BEEN SPFINATED!!!

starcoaster
starcoaster

• 213 posts
  • LocationNot at a concert.

If I want to join the LTT Folding@Home team, is there anything else I need to do other than enter the team number?

No, but if you want bonus points which really helps the team get a passkey, you are prompted to anyway. The bonus points kick in after 10 work units are handed in I believe

"Falx" AMD A8-6600K 4.4(ish)GHz, Noctua NH-U9S, 16GB, 128SSD+4TB HDD, MSI NVidia GTX 750Ti 1.4GHz, looking at 960 when I upgrade. BUS and Multiplier OC and stable.

"Phoenix" i5-3230m 3.2GHz, 16GB, 1TB HDD. IT LIVES!

TieBomber232
TieBomber232

• 6 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I joined the team a few weeks ago, but I don't trust leaving my pc on for extended periods of time without regular checks, so I only contribute every now and then :/

"If in doubt, flat out."

Whaler_99
Whaler_99

A folding we shall go...

• 5,098 posts
  • LocationPlaying with the beavers....

User's Awards

I've a suggestion, if it's possible. That is to add a badge key (or Legend) to the Badge FAQ thread if possible. Because the badges when simply displayed are pretty vague in what they represent, especially to us noobs.

Alternative idea, again if possible, would be a simple tooltip on mouseover on a member's badges. ...Actually as of writing this I see some badges have tooltips but not all... 

Yes I know I can click the hyper link User's Awards, but that to me is a little cumbersome :)

So in closing, suggestion 2 is clearly possible, but i think doing both suggestion 1 and 2 would rock

Thanks

I cannot do the tool tip - that is a per badge / per user item, hence why only some have it. But I did update the FAQ with the images themselves, so you can see. :)

Forum Links - THE CoC, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features and Suggestions, Bug and IssuesFeatured Build Logs Guidelines and Winners. Follow @Whaler_99 for Folding @ Home Updates.

Folding/Boinc Info and Links

Whaler_99
Whaler_99

A folding we shall go...

• 5,098 posts

User's Awards

I don't know if I should fold with my shitty laptop or not...

For laptops, best option is the Chrome App.

Forum Links - THE CoC, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features and Suggestions, Bug and IssuesFeatured Build Logs Guidelines and Winners. Follow @Whaler_99 for Folding @ Home Updates.

Deltek
Deltek

• 20 posts

I cannot do the tool tip - that is a per badge / per user item, hence why only some have it. But I did update the FAQ with the images themselves, so you can see. :)

Thanks, that's great :)

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i

SPFINATOR1993
SPFINATOR1993

• 4 posts
  • LocationMichigan

No, but if you want bonus points which really helps the team get a passkey, you are prompted to anyway. The bonus points kick in after 10 work units are handed in I believe

Shortly after I posted this, I found a guide for things like that.  Thank you for getting back to me though!

• starcoaster likes this

YOU HAVE BEEN SPFINATED!!!

Camaran
Camaran

• 32 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Weow! Now ranked 980th on the LTT F2H team :D

CjcSahS.png

• mmmbrrrr and starcoaster like this

Raboo
Raboo

LTT's Fish

• 1,914 posts
  • LocationMy Desk

User's Awards

I don't know if I should fold with my shitty laptop or not...

Yes you should, I do and it's fine it might be a little hot but it should be good. 

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

starcoaster
starcoaster

• 213 posts
  • LocationNot at a concert.

Yes you should, I do and it's fine it might be a little hot but it should be good. 

+1 if you can prop it up on something, remove the RAM/HDD cover and get a desk fan it'll help even more. I ran Phoenix (Tosh C855-253) standing on one end with the heatsink pointing skywards, put the screen and base either side of my PC's side intake and then covered 80% of the top so my PC drew the warm air away from the laptop and cool air over it. Temps were 73C

"Falx" AMD A8-6600K 4.4(ish)GHz, Noctua NH-U9S, 16GB, 128SSD+4TB HDD, MSI NVidia GTX 750Ti 1.4GHz, looking at 960 when I upgrade. BUS and Multiplier OC and stable.

"Phoenix" i5-3230m 3.2GHz, 16GB, 1TB HDD. IT LIVES!

iGameOver
iGameOver

• 2 posts

Hi all!

Just joined the team and hoping to provide some sweet PPD :D

• Raboo and mmmbrrrr like this

Deltek
Deltek

• 20 posts

Welcome iGameOver! ...I have two of those t shirts but in white print :)

I've noticed for about 24 Hrs now, perhaps slightly more my PPD have been awful.

Has anyone else noticed this? ....I'm wondering if it's the witcher drivers from nVidia hmm

I've gone from 300k - 500k down to a mere 50k - 80k ...noticed across half a dozen WU's now

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i

GlassBomb
GlassBomb

One who knows nothing.

• Gold Contributor
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationBlue Marble

Welcome iGameOver! ...I have two of those t shirts but in white print :)

I've noticed for about 24 Hrs now, perhaps slightly more my PPD have been awful.

Has anyone else noticed this? ....I'm wondering if it's the witcher drivers from nVidia hmm

I've gone from 300k - 500k down to a mere 50k - 80k ...noticed across half a dozen WU's now

Check the FahCore of the Work Unit that you are working on. Core 15 gives awful PPD for 900-Series GPU's. As well as no quick return bonus for finish it faster.

Deltek
Deltek

• 20 posts

Check the FahCore of the Work Unit that you are working on. Core 15 gives awful PPD for 900-Series GPU's. As well as no quick return bonus for finish it faster.

Oh! perhaps you are right, I've just noticed this morning i'm on a core 17 and it's back up to 500k ...I must have had several 15's in a row.

Thankyou :)

WhatComesAround
WhatComesAround

• 241 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Whaler_99
Whaler_99

A folding we shall go...

• 5,098 posts

User's Awards

5 Billion points :D

• starcoaster likes this

mslash
mslash

• 8 posts
  • LocationCanada

I just read the tips and tricks for folding users. Can someone explain to me why you want to leave one core free for each GPU running folding? I noticed it left a core free when I started folding so I changed my settings so it used all cores. I don't seem to be having any issues. I have ~350,000 PPD with ~340,000 PPD coming from my GTX 980 and ~10,000 PPD coming from my 4770k. My temperatues don't exceed 70 degrees Celsius. Is this fine? Or should I leave a core free? If so, why?

flowalex
flowalex

• 74 posts
  • LocationMinnesota USA

I just joined, I think this is a great thing to do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users