Vancouver, BC bans door knobs

Skull Leader

http://www.thestar.com/life/2013/11/20/vancouver_bans_door_knobs.html#

The city of Vancouver has amended its building code to outlaw the use of those wrist-twisting devices in all new construction, including private homes. Door knobs had already been opener non grata in large buildings. The new ruling, effective in March, will not affect existing homes.

They go on to talk about how in the future we may have chips embeded under our skin and the doors would automatically open for us.  Yes, I can't wait for those automatic opening doors of the future...

Honor First!

I wouldn't mind.

Doorknobs are a cesspool of death from pathogens and awkward feels

When I go to Uni, I never touch any door with my hands. I kick them open, shove my arm into them, and open the knobs with my elbows. If it has one of those doors with the handles (those things need to go) I usually open it with the back of my hand. 

No doorknobs would make my days easier. 

Error: 410

So until then, what, you smash your face into the door to open it? :0

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I don't know if I should laugh.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Chips embedded in us that can detect where we are?

That doesn't sound suspicious at all...

If only there were some kind of device that detected motion and opened the door when someone got near...

Chips embedded in us that can detect where we are?

That doesn't sound suspicious at all...

If only there were some kind of device that detected motion and opened the door when someone got near...

Don't worry, the chips are only going to be used to open doors! :P

Rinus and Srick should include this in tomorrow's WAN show.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Don't worry, the chips are only going to be used to open doors! :P

How could I be crazy enough to think that the government could LYING!?

Shame on me.  :unsure:

wtf-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-252

I'm with Kobe with this one.

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I don't understand why they care if every home is accessible to someone with physical disabilities or whatever. It's not their house. I'm sure when you're spending 6 digits on a house, the door knobs won't be the thing that stops you from buying it. I understand for public buildings obviously. 

Is dick-knobbing the only reason they are banning door knobs? Is Canada's laws becoming as stupid as american laws?

I wouldn't mind.

Doorknobs are a cesspool of death from pathogens and awkward feels

When I go to Uni, I never touch any door with my hands. I kick them open, shove my arm into them, and open the knobs with my elbows. If it has one of those doors with the handles (those things need to go) I usually open it with the back of my hand. 

No doorknobs would make my days easier. 

i just shout a it until it opens in fear

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i just shout a it until it opens in fear

I have rituals down to habit when opening these doors. Sometimes an eblow in the handle and a shoe to wedge in the gap and kick it open is efficient on one of the most difficult doors to open without touching.

I'm talking about these sinful bastard doors.

Would destroy with battering ram

door-pull-or-push.jpg

if there are people watching i usually use the back of my hand tho

Error: 410

I have rituals down to habit when opening these doors. Sometimes an eblow in the handle and a shoe to wedge in the gap and kick it open is efficient on one of the most difficult doors to open without touching.

I'm talking about these sinful bastard doors.

Would destroy with battering ram

door-pull-or-push.jpg

if there are people watching i usually use the back of my hand tho

That's a little extreme...

RFID and automated doors for the win. I have this at my local University, students can open certain doors with their ID card. I work as lab tech at my school part time and its awesome being able to open doors like that.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

RFID and automated doors for the win. I have this at my local University, students can open certain doors with their ID card. I work as lab tech at my school part time and its awesome being able to open doors like that.

All the school's I support at my IT Department uses RFID badges for the doors. Freaking love it!

My uni has mostly automatically opening doors, not just the sliding ones but ones that open like normal doors. You just stand in-front of them and they swing open. Don't even have to slow down to wait for them to open.

Are automatic doors with mats and sensors too mainstream now to open a door with no hands? Freaking hipsters.

I don't understand why they care if every home is accessible to someone with physical disabilities or whatever. It's not their house. I'm sure when you're spending 6 digits on a house, the door knobs won't be the thing that stops you from buying it. I understand for public buildings obviously. 

Because, when people develop arthritis or a similar disability that requires them to get door opening aides, the funding to install said aides usually comes from the government in form of health and aging service grants/assistance.  So if they make everyone install easier to use handles from the get go, then there is one less item people will be asking for assistance with.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Vancouver houses are 7-digits now. :P

Vancouver is known to have he toughest building code. Generally the stuff that goes into it are well thought out before it's added in.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

How reliable is this source?

I actually heard about this before hand though... (A couple weeks ago, and it's an effort to make the area more friendly for those with arthritis and such.. Still pretty terrible.)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society