Apple allegedly building a custom GPU architecture

asim1999

According to a new report from Fudzilla, Apple is secretly working on its own mobile graphics chip. Apple is said to be investigating custom mobile GPU architectures for a few years now, but the report mentions that the efforts have yet to yield satisfying results. 

As per insider sources paraphrased in the report, the first Apple Ax SoC to integrate a custom GPU architecture might be as far as a few years away from now. Despite what seems like slow progress, however, the tech giant is said to heavily invested down this path.

Benchmark tests have shown that the PowerVR GPUs - which are designed by Imagination Technologies - that iPads and iPhones have integrated in the past few years are true pixel-rendering powerhouses. As such, if the company is indeed working on a mobile GPU, Apple has probably set the bar very high before an actual rollout across the iPhone and iPad lineups.

The wouldn't be the first time that Apple moves beyond the adoption of a standard architecture and comes up with its own design. Back on September 12, 2012, many were surprised to learn that the A6 SoC - found inside the iPhone 5 - integrates a custom-designed Apple "Swift" CPU architecture based on the ARMv7 architecture. Since then, all of Apple's mobile SoCs came with custom CPU architectures that have impressed in both real world performance as well as synthetic benchmark tests. 

By implementing a custom GPU architecture, Apple would hit two birds with one stone. On one hand, the company should be able to create mobile GPUs that work perfectly in sync with the other elements one the SoC, improving the overall performance in the process. Furthermore, the implementation of a custom GPU would also translate into higher margins on iPhones and iPads, opening up the way to more record-breaking profits.

Read more at http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-is-allegedly-building-a-custom-mobile-GPU-architecture_id76536#4p86ODEzc0u7cUA9.99

Source in description

i \think this is interesting as it would allow Apple to exceed the limits that OEMs have in current GPU tech, plus Apple design great mobile CPUs. However, i can see them using it as a monopoly. as it will be the "latest and greatest" in terms of APIs and the like. Also, i can see Apple using this to create a tiered system, where the biggest and most expensive products have the best GPU performance 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

i am curious as to how this will turn out 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Huh.

Interesting.

I wonder if they'll work Metal into it in some way or another.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Huh.

Interesting.

I wonder if they'll work Metal into it in some way or another.

I'm sure they will. Maybe that will be the main selling point: a fully dedicated API to the new platform

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

They are finally inventing something! oh wait..... Nvidia, Intel and AMD all ready has GPU's...

I'd buy an apple VGA

not that they'd ever sell one on a PCIe board unless for Dev kits for IOS

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

They are finally inventing something! oh wait..... Nvidia, Intel and AMD all ready has GPU's...

Well offering a custom solution from the ground up is new. Apple were sourcing parts from PowerVR. The only other company to do this is Qualcomm, whose Adreno division was originally part of AMD 

Someone should make a smartphone with a intel cpu and an amd gpu. R9 super nano :D

It's only a mobile gpu

come on make a baseband chip already

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

If I was a pessimist, I'd think that this is bad because Apple is hiring all the talented cpu and gpu engineers for themselves, leaving Intel, AMD, and nVidia with nothing. 

quick google search will reveal that they never did.

Really are you that desperate to bring down Apple? They may not have invented something but they made uncountable useless inventions into something useful that shaped the whole industry (which can be termed as reinvention and innovation, something that most companies lack). If you can't accept this then you're just ignorant

Just imagine:

"The new Apple iPhone 746258. Powered by an A47 processor, and Apple's latest generation of the iGPU, this is the next era of computing power... All. In the palm of your hand. In stores now starting at 250,000$. Also available in 6 unique colors. Add an iWatch to the bundle for only an additional 200,000$..."

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

It will be an overpriced turd like the rest of their garbage.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

i - gpu? isn't that thing taken or what?

Details separate people.

If I was a pessimist, I'd think that this is bad because Apple is hiring all the talented cpu and gpu engineers for themselves, leaving Intel, AMD, and nVidia with nothing. 

Probably not, mobile GPUs need different engineering skills added to the fact that intel and Nvidia are no short in money and engineers aren't that rare for them to be monopolised.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I'm not trying to "bring apple down" or deny the fact that they have made good products. I'm just saying that they never invented anything.

They reinvent not invent, it was the point behind apple since 1990s "think different".

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Well we're forgetting that thing which is that Apple already has semi-custom GPUs in their iPhones and iPads. Even though the design may be OEM, Apple usually uses a custom core count for the Ax SoCs. 

Ye ole' train

Wonder what they'll call it?

iGPU doesn't really work in this case.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)