Apple files patent for new active screen protection mechanism.

KemoKa

http://www.ibtimes.com/iphone-7-rumors-apple-inc-invents-active-screen-protector-make-shattered-displays-2152155

The US Patent and Trademark Office today released a patent filed by Apple for a new type of collision detection and mechanism on phones. Using the embedded gyroscope, accelerometer and (possibly) the camera, future iPhones may be able to detect if they have been dropped, and according to the patent, deploy screen protectors; small, flexible bands from behind the sides of the screen. These would absorb the shock of the fall, protecting the sceen from the brunt of an impact. They would then be retracted by small motors once the phone detects it is no longer at risk of falling.

post-77647-0-83075600-1445524499.png

post-77647-0-19884300-1445524500.png

Not too sure how I feel about this. The mechanics look sound, certainly, but I'm not sure how Apple is going to implement this in a way that still allows their products to be as aesthetically pleasing.  The mechanisms look too large to allow Apple to push their obsession with making their phones thinner. I'm sure they'll find a way, but... I think it's a neat idea.

Obviously, if implemented, this is not going to protect the phone from certain kinds of impacts.

What do you guys think of this patent? Do you think it looks like a good idea? DISCUSS! :D

What do you guys think of this patent? Do you think it looks like a good idea? DISCUSS! :D

Thinking outside the box, I like it!!! I guess if they can find a more compelling way to implement it, it could be an interesting idea!!

my guess? its a patent they are going to just sit on, and only use it if they can perfect it, or maybe never use it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'll be waiting for youtube videos about how this stops a .50 BMG...

That's if your phone drops flat on screen, which from my experience happens never. So there is that. 

And how much weight is that gonna add? The mechanism. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

That's if your phone drops flat on screen, which from my experience happens never. So there is that. 

And how much weight is that gonna add? The mechanism. 

Well since the new iPhone frames are so rigid its unlikely a crack will happen dropped on the sides or corner, unless its an extremely significant impact - but then its likely the phone will break from that anyway

I doubt it adds more than like 5-10grams, its a couple of tiny plastic/metal things that stick out

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

My feeling on this is, with how fast processors on even budget smartphones are becoming these days, that this patent seems like a very realistic idea. The detection software would have to be on all the time, so I'm not sure how that would affect the battery life... maybe you could turn it on and off... Wait, no, it's Apple, I forgot... :P

They should just have an airbag burst out of the screen.

/j

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well since the new iPhone frames are so rigid its unlikely a crack will happen dropped on the sides or corner, unless its an extremely significant impact - but then its likely the phone will break from that anyway

I doubt it adds more than like 5-10grams, its a couple of tiny plastic/metal things that stick out

What I meant is that I'm not sure if the phone will ever fall on the screen, so in case it doesn't there is no use for this, and I've never seen a phone drop flat on screen. But that's personal experience.

Yes the pieces are light, but the mechanism, those motors and everything inside, will that be enough for us to feel the difference is what I'm curious about. 

What I meant is that I'm not sure if the phone will ever fall on the screen, so in case it doesn't there is no use for this, and I've never seen a phone drop flat on screen. But that's personal experience.

Yes the pieces are light, but the mechanism, those motors and everything inside, will that be enough for us to feel the difference is what I'm curious about. 

Sure of course it will add weight, but im sure the motors would be insanely tiny, perhaps it could be a magnetic thing idk :D

phones definitely fall face down

dont really see how it will work but whatever

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Sure of course it will add weight, but im sure the motors would be insanely tiny, perhaps it could be a magnetic thing idk :D

phones definitely fall face down

Now what I meant is that this is only good if it falls flat, if it falls first on side and then on screen I'm not sure if that is enough to crack it, and I've never seen it fall flat. If it's enough then the phone will drop at such rate the body will crack (unless it's metal) and the screen crack as well in many such situations.  You know what I mean. All in all, let's see how they implement that. This is tiresome.  :P 

Sounds good in theory... Can't say I'd hold my breath though. It's one thing to come up with something good, it's another to get it done and have it work well.

just make the screen out of a transparent aluminum and the body out of some composite absorbing material. 

problem solved....get on it apple.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Now what I meant is that this is only good if it falls flat, i

Oh I see what you mean, but honestly I think the new aluminium they use is extremely tough, so its probably very reliant to damage

They should just have an airbag burst out of the screen.

/j

+1 

#iPhone Pillow (Patent pending)

Just use your $99 stylus to deflate!!

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

Idea is neat. Hopefully they don't cost a limb considering it's an 'Apple' patent.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

This is genius

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

If someone were to hack into it, could it theoretically impale someone?

Nice profile gif, hp 2000 by any chance?

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

That looks terrible! Instead of improving the glass/screen they use a mechanism to protect the screen? Seems like a step backwards in technology.

Also, for this to work the phone would need to land almost parallel on a flat surface. Drop it on the edge/corner and/or outdoor (with gravel lying around) and the mechanism is useless.

Furthermore, what are the chances of the little pieces to break and puncture the screen, instead of protecting it?

Not convinced the added protection is worth the effort. These things rarely land perfectly on their face anyway and still the glass shatters.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.