Cable-Box Rentals: A Needless $19-Billion Industry

jos

The box has become a fixture in the American household, not least because it is surprisingly profitable. Earlier this year, a U.S. Senate study found that American households pay $231 a year on average renting cable boxes. Further, the report estimated that 99 percent of cable customers rented their equipment, and, across the country, that added up to a $19.5 billion industry just renting cable boxes.

But if companies were required to make their services compatible with other equipment, all that might change. Some are hoping that the FCC will finally pry this beloved revenue source from the cable industry the way it did the telephone industry. Before the 1968 Carterfone decision, consumers had to lease phones from AT&T to have a landline. But then, the FCC ruled that the Carterfone—a third-party made device—could be connected to the AT&T network as long as it didn’t do any harm. The decision led to a flurry of innovation for the telephone, and some are hoping that by requiring cable companies accommodate competing devices—a similar revolution might take place. (Though the cable industry has tremendous lobbying power, and it’d be interesting to see how they’d react to this regulation.)

One solution proposed in the report is that cable services could simply be accessed through an app. Consumers would buy their own devices and access cable services the way they would access Netflix. Some budget-conscious consumers are cutting their ties to cable (and the hassle that comes with it); there are already those who opt for streaming services such as Apple TV, Roku, or Amazon Fire. But if cable became an app—and companies made it easy to own a box without sinking huge amounts of money and time—it might just be the best of both worlds.

I had told my cable operator while changing connection can i buy it? they told it has special chip exclusive to them so that only thing i can do is rent...

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/09/cable-boxes-fcc-television/403180/

Yes this needs to be killed. Even if I switch out my fios boxes with TiVo from what I've read the cable cards I would have to rent have their own issues. And I would have to get lifetime subscription for TiVo to eventually come out ahead.

Having to pay $10 monthly rental fee for each thing from your ISP/ cable provider is dumb. They need to make it so you can just buy your own DVR and use it where ever you want. Just like Modems and routers.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Cable/Satellite TV is a dying industry. And good riddance.

We just need a hell of a lot of competition for streaming services on the internet, to ensure that we never have to deal with all-commercial TV again.

That, and force a law through congress that states that no TV station can play a commercial while any other station is playing a commercial. And watch the collapse begin.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have a cable card that I use with my HDHOMERUN Prime network tuner. its a triple tuner that I can use to watch tv on my pc's or mobile devices. The cable card is $3 a month compared too $10 for a standard single tuner HD box. it really does feel kine kind of a scam.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I cannot count the times I've had a rental charge show up on my DSL bill over the years. And every time I have to call several times over 3months to get the charge removed.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

I cannot count the times I've had a rental charge show up on my DSL bill over the years. And every time I have to call several times over 3months to get the charge removed.

I recently was charged for a modem/router combo that died that I paid to have replaced with their newer version bought from the manufacturer and then activated it through them. at first they sent be a box to return my old router/modem, then they put a charge for the original MSRP of the then 2 and 1/2 year old modem on my bill. It took them like 2 months to realize that I was never renting the modem from them as I had opted to buy both straight out so I wouldnt pay more over the course of my contract. 

It's ridiculous that they don't keep better track of something like that. I should not have needed to look up my first bill too show them the charge for the modem.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

I'm glad BS like this wasn't pulled here in Australia, and if it was, I'm sure I could get my computer to work in place of a cablebox (we buy things outright with our cable and satellite services).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I cancelled my cable package the other day, saving me $80 a month, I owned my cable box though

I dont have cable.

Just antena, TiVO, and roku with netflix and amazon prime

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Cable/Satellite TV is a dying industry. And good riddance.

We just need a hell of a lot of competition for streaming services on the internet, to ensure that we never have to deal with all-commercial TV again.

That, and force a law through congress that states that no TV station can play a commercial while any other station is playing a commercial. And watch the collapse begin.

It's not dying. I still watch cable TV. It's still great, Not the box rental fee, but other than that, it's gr8.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It's not dying. I still watch cable TV. It's still great, Not the box rental fee, but other than that, it's gr8.

......I'm calling bullshit. No one enjoys watching commercial breaks that are longer than the actual content blocks.

Although your TV experience must differ from mine.

......I'm calling bullshit. No one enjoys watching commercial breaks that are longer than the actual content blocks.

well there's this little thing in the USA called the superbowl and a lot of people would prefer that the commercial spots where longer than the programing blocks for that one.

well there's this little thing in the USA called the superbowl and a lot of people would prefer that the commercial spots where longer than the programing blocks for that one.

That's one single exception amongst.....I can't even guesstimate the number of commercials than run on all the DirecTV channels we get.

What really pisses me off though, is how when a commercial comes on, you go to switch channels, 9/10 times the other channels are at commercial.

#LinusLurkTips

post-78731-0-21530300-1441237130.jpg

OK, maybe the ads aren't great, but at least the quality is better than digital streaming.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

OK, maybe the ads aren't great, but at least the quality is better than digital streaming.

I wouldn't argue that. My FIOS is often better than streaming from a lot of sites but the other big provider around here Cox cable has a picture that I could consider on par with HD streaming but not better.

I bought my DSL Router but it is an ISP branded item though. CenturylInk is the Local DSL ISP.

If I had Cable I could by a non-ISP branded router. MediaCom is the Local Cable ISP here in Iowa, USA.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

But your also paying to watch the ads if you think about it. Your using pay TV and yet you still have to watch ads.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I can agree to that. Fucking Verizon throttling me and other century link users in this area.

That's why you either buy a 3rd party box like a Tivo, or preferably just don't get cable.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

That's why you either buy a 3rd party box like a Tivo, or preferably just don't get cable.

Even if you get a third party box if they use all encrypted digital streams you will need to rent a cable card from your provider. they cost between 1.99 and 8.99 a month from what I have seen on the mythtv forums.