Ubuntu Phone Goes Global, But the US is Limited to 2G Speeds

iCrushDreams

After a long wait, Ubuntu phones became a reali ty this year. But now Linux fans outside of Europe and China will be able to try out the newcomer OS for the very first time. Spanish smartphone maker BQ has announced that it is now shipping its Aquarius E5 Ubuntu smartphone across the world.

The E5 Ubuntu Edition has a fairly barebones set of specifications that matches its affordable €199.90 price tag. It has a 5-inch, 720 x 1280 display that'd be more at home on a top-tier smartphone from a few years ago. There's also 1GB of RAM, 16GB of memory (thankfully upgradable thanks to its microSD card slot), and a 1.7GHz, quad-core Mediatek chip.

Of course, the phone itself isn't what's exciting — it's about getting to use an Ubuntu phone. Canonical's long-gestating mobile OS sells itself on changing up the typical app-to-app user paradigm. Instead, it uses customizable "scopes" that bring in related content (like photos or videos) to a single homescreen. Instead of building self-contained apps, developers can simply plug in their services to a scope. That said, Ubuntu OS still faces a considerable uphill battle to try to make any gains after Android's massive head start

There's another thing to keep in mind before you drop over $200 on the E5. It will be largely useless on US carriers. The phone has no LTE, and its HSPA+ antennas essentially do not support the frequencies used by AT&T or T-Mobile. That means you'll be stuck on EDGE, which, in 2015, is close to having no mobile data at all. If you live outside the US, be sure to check to see if your carrier supports 900 and 2100MHz HSPA+ before you buy. Those of you who are stateside, however, will be better served waiting for Meizu to (hopefully) bring its higher-quality MX4 Ubuntu Edition to the states — it will work on AT&T and T-Mobile at 4G speeds.

I like the idea of a third competitor potentially entering the market to go along with Android and iOS, but I don't think that Ubuntu Phone will have any stand at all in the US at least until they can get 4G speeds at absolute minimum. At least they have a working product to show, but I don't think it makes much of any sense.

Source - http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/8/9121611/aquarius-b5-ubuntu-edition-available-worldwide

Look kind of cool but the phone specs aren't that appealing to buy just because it has the Ubuntu OS

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

Look kind of cool but the phone specs aren't that appealing to buy just because it has the Ubuntu OS

Yeah, I don't see it being practical in its current stage. It's got a long way to go before it can be a worthy competitor in the mobile OS market, and it'll for sure be lacking in support for all sorts of services and apps that are widely available in the app store and the play store.

LINUX MASTER RACE

Python/C# Programming

Code to learn, don't learn to code. -Napalm

Yea.. I'd much rather stick to my current arm Linux with a shit load of a VM java stack on top that's much more mature and deployed called Android.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

.....Why is it limited to 2G speeds? Is this because the Dev wasn't able to implement something, or because the existing market occupiers prevented them from supporting it?

If it's the latter, I would hope to see the FCC step in and tell them to fuck right off for it. If not, then....wtf?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Lol, a phone that will work far better in Australia than the US.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

.....Why is it limited to 2G speeds? Is this because the Dev wasn't able to implement something, or because the existing market occupiers prevented them from supporting it?

If it's the latter, I would hope to see the FCC step in and tell them to fuck right off for it. If not, then....wtf?

Limitations on the antenna chip used, has nothing to do with software or competitors, the manufacture just used a chip that doesn't support US bands, this is mostly because this phone was intended to be sold in Europe and Asia only originally. 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Limitations on the antenna chip used, has nothing to do with software or competitors, the manufacture just used a chip that doesn't support US bands, this is mostly because this phone was intended to be sold in Europe and Asia only originally. 

....then why in the hell would they release it in the US at all? Just seems nonsensical, like selling a right hand drive car (wrong side :P ) in the US.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh who needs 4g

The world is full of firsts

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

....then why in the hell would they release it in the US at all? Just seems nonsensical, like selling a right hand drive car (wrong side :P ) in the US.

I'm sure is just so the hardcore linux fans can mess around with it and not have to deal with import fees.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Actually, by the end of next year it wouldn't work at all. Telstra plans on shutting down their 2G network by the end of 2016. The rest will probably follow soon after.

Actually, by the end of next year it wouldn't work at all. Telstra plans on shutting down their 2G network by the end of 2016. The rest will probably follow soon after.

HSPA+ is a 3G standard. Australia still relies heavily on HSPA+ for coverage and internet. As for 2G, Telstra can go fuck themselves sideways for all I care, as long as Optus keeps their 2G network going I'll continue to use my Sony Ericsson K750i (originally an Optus phone-now unlocked, and it still connects to the internet even after 10 years). I loath being forced into an 'upgrade' which will see me having to choose between 1 phone with a shitty battery and reception over another with shitty battery and reception (easily a week on battery with the replacement I bought last year, and I get full reception in places that I've seen smart phones get nothing-plus its proven itself multiple times to be Nokia tough).

PMSL

I like the idea of a third competitor potentially entering the market to go along with Android and iOS, but I don't think that Ubuntu Phone will have any stand at all in the US at least until they can get 4G speeds at absolute minimum. At least they have a working product to show, but I don't think it makes much of any sense.

Source - http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/8/9121611/aquarius-b5-ubuntu-edition-available-worldwide

There's already Windows Phone you know. Which has been just getting better and better over the last year or so.

I'm currently on WP, and I'm really happy with it.

I tried Ubuntu phone last year on a Nexus 4, and it was just slow/unresponsive at times, and the complete lack of real apps just made me go back to iOS.

The apps that were on iPhone, weren't real apps, they were just native wrappers for a HTML page.

Literally the facebook app was just the mobile website, but without a back function. So it was near-useless.

I'd love Ubuntu Touch to take off though. :D

It's a brick. No 3G is unacceptable these days. This phone is basically a dev platform for Ubuntu OS

It's a brick. No 3G is unacceptable these days. This phone is basically a dev platform for Ubuntu OS

It has 3G, its just that most US telco don't operate theirs at the necessary frequencies.

PMSL