Mini Fridge PC Build - Does it work?

What if you like, did a custom loop and ran the radiators outside of the fridge? You'd need some flat tubing though.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Let's troll some fridge resellers.

"Is this fridge EATX compatible?"

"How many 6.25'' has this fridge?"

I wanted to use a freezer actually.

I also had a plan for how to do it. @LinusTech

Same I really want to do this.

I'm curious about this video but with the LTT way of life (half assing everything) makes me think that this video won't answer all the questions I have. I'll have to wait to watch it I guess, but I'll update after. I've always wanted to build a pc inside a mini fridge. 

Exactly, Not saying Linus didn't put effort, because he did, I expected him to mod the minifridge to have an exhaust for the Radiator  and the motherboard to be mounted in the fridge. But I can see the fact Linus would like to re-use the minifridge, before he goes ripping it apart, I would also like to see a capacitor mod to make a "Ghetto Phase Change" instead of buying a Sub Zero Phase Change system"

@LinusTech, you forgot to overclock the compressor. Also, what about a walk-in freezer/fridge? The big ones used in shops. They have a LOT of cooling capacity and fans circulating the air. Just go to any shop, show them your badge and they willingly will let you use their freezer!

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Thats what i was thinking , using a big industrial fridge 

@LinusTech, you forgot to overclock the compressor. Also, what about a walk-in freezer/fridge? The big ones used in shops. They have a LOT of cooling capacity and fans circulating the air. Just go to any shop, show them your badge and they willingly will let you use their freezer!

LinusLiftingTips

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Im guessing the fridge wont be plugged in... But still an interesting case :D

I bet it will be, that's how you get some chill temperatures...

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

LTT: Doing stupid stuff so you don't have to!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Has anyone thought of trying this in a commercial refrigerator or freezer to see if it can actually be done? I'm aware this is extremely inefficient way to cool a rig with the high power consumption of a commercial fridge/freezer such as this. I have an old Intel P4 based system (I've attached a picture of it. It's a Dell Optiplex 170L.) I could sacrifice for science to get some numbers before the condensation kills it. Thoughts?

post-41565-0-88352800-1438620335_thumb.j

I don't understand why Linus freaks out when something goes over 27 degrees Celsius? It's NOT a big deal and that isn't even that hot. My system gets up to 55 degrees Celsius which is 127 under load and I don't consider that a BIG deal. It kinda drives me nuts. I'd be freaking out if it got to 66 Degrees Celsius and above. Plus when you consider that it's summer time here in America, that temp is to be expected in a room that is 28 degrees Celsius. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Interesting idea.

First the water cooled macbook, now this!

link to water cooled  macbook please :P

What about putting it a freezer?

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

He kept teasing build a PC in a mini fridge in previous videos but all he did was put a test bench in the mini fridge -_-

It doesn't matter whether it's put in a fridge or a freezer, the problem is that there is no airflow in or out once the door is closed. The unit is kept cool via conduction through the air inside which is a very, very ineffective way of cooling the space, but its sufficient given the low typical cooling load.

Air is the key ingredient in most insulating materials. Attempting this is like wrapping your PC in five layers of blankets and putting a fan next to it. It will never work unless you give it a more effective way by which to transfer heat from the system to the cooling system.

HAF 912  •  i5-2500k  •  16GB DDR3  •  980Ti  •  2x 480GB Intel 730  •  3x Dell U2715H 

All my ad suggestions have been replaced with mini fridges on Amazon since I watched this.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

I don't understand why Linus freaks out when something goes over 27 degrees Celsius? It's NOT a big deal and that isn't even that hot. My system gets up to 55 degrees Celsius which is 127 under load and I don't consider that a BIG deal. It kinda drives me nuts. I'd be freaking out if it got to 66 Degrees Celsius and above. Plus when you consider that it's summer time here in America, that temp is to be expected in a room that is 28 degrees Celsius. 

I feel like you are missing the point, the temperature inside the fridge rose to 27 degrees, which was the ambient temperature already in the room, therefore the fridge was not actually cooling anything down

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Mini Fridge 2.0 Suggestion.

I have a $200 solution to putting a computer in a refrigerator.... BUILD a custom refrigerator!

Materials-

A sheet of 2in x 4ft x 8 ft ridged R-10 insulation ($34) http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-150-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-10-Scored-Squared-Edge-Insulation-Sheathing-45W/100320352

A 5,000 BTU window AC unit  ($140) http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-5-000-BTU-115-Volt-Window-Air-Conditioner-with-ENERGY-STAR-LW5015E/205588135

A roll of duct tape ($5)

Construction-

Use ridged insulation and duct tape to create a 2x2x2ft cube with a door(duct tape hinge)

Cut a 2ft x 1 ft hole in the back of the box for the AC unit

Cut small holes in the side of the box for cable pass through(keyboard mouse monitor)

Seal holes with tape

Summary-

5,000 BTU of cooling is ~1500 Watts, which means that it would have more then enough cooling capacity to cool a 1000W gaming rig.  The ridged foam would allow for easy modification, to add more pass through for additional equipment.  By creating a small cold room, the computer would still be the "hottest" thing in the room therefore condensation would not be an issue.  

Now for the downside...  window AC units are typically limited to 60F or 15C  so that would be the coldest the refrigerator would get. BUT that can be bypassed if your willing to do a little modification to the thermostat.  OR http://storeitcold.com/shop/  could lower the temp to 35F/2C for nearly freezing temp!!

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Sooooo idk if anyone mentioned this BUT I wanna see

Industrial mini fridge

PSU OUTSIDE of the fridge.... that for sure doesn't need to be in there

And maybe like an EVGA Hybrid with the rad running outside of the fridge or an AIO on the processor running outside the fridge

Obviously a fridge is mean to keep things cool not the keep things that are giving off heat cool, I think for obvious reasons the PSU doesn't need to be in there but then you need to decide do you want the CPU or the GPU cooled? I say lets see a video of a R9 295x2 or Fury X or any liquid cooled GPU with the rad mounted outside the fridge and see what happens.

or an alternate option would be a CPU with 2 after market air cooled GPU's in SLi in the case but the PSU and a RAD for cooling the CPU out side of the case. I wonder if CPU rad out side but mobo and CPU inside makes a diff with the mobo being cooled?

• 1 year later...

What about getting a water cooled system & only putting a set of external radiators & fans inside the fridge? Would that reduce the work load of the compressor since it would only be cooling the necessary parts instead of the entire machine & give extra space for airflow?

I've mostly lived in climates that get extremely hot where temperatures can get to the low 40's (Celsius/Centigrade) & the closer to central Australia you get the more extreme the temperatures go with variations roughly between -15°c to 50°c, depending on the seasons & weather conditions. On one particularly bad heat wave in central QLD I actually had plastic clips holding down the fans melt, the metal pins popped out onto the video card & completely fried everything in the system, even though it was not over-clocked or anything, however, I am starting to consider the idea of over-clocking since I purchased a GTX 1070 & encountered some bottlenecking issues with certain games yet I am wary of this due to the increasingly common heat waves that we have been encountering in recent years so I'm looking at the most effective methods of cooling that don't break the bank too much.

4 minutes ago, Narcoleptic_Rage said:

What about getting a water cooled system & only putting a set of external radiators & fans inside the fridge? Would that reduce the work load of the compressor since it would only be cooling the necessary parts instead of the entire machine & give extra space for airflow?

I've mostly lived in climates that get extremely hot where temperatures can get to the low 40's (Celsius/Centigrade) & the closer to central Australia you get the more extreme the temperatures go with variations roughly between -15°c to 50°c, depending on the seasons & weather conditions. On one particularly bad heat wave in central QLD I actually had plastic clips holding down the fans melt, the metal pins popped out onto the video card & completely fried everything in the system, even though it was not over-clocked or anything, however, I am starting to consider the idea of over-clocking since I purchased a GTX 1070 & encountered some bottlenecking issues with certain games yet I am wary of this due to the increasingly common heat waves that we have been encountering in recent years so I'm looking at the most effective methods of cooling that don't break the bank too much.

Please don't necro post... rather start a new thread with a link to this one...

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/