Mini Fridge PC Build - Does it work?

Not genuine copy of windows ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This is a signature.

Not genuine copy of windows ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Not genuine Snipars.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeah, but why does he not use a genuine copy?

I have an idea for a hybridly fridge cooled setup that might work better than having the whole system inside.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

I have an idea for a hybridly fridge cooled setup that might work better than having the whole system inside.

like somehow have the heatsink inside with the rest of the pc outside the fridge? or liquid cooled with the radiators inside the fridge

Linus you should redo this with the same kind of idea of the whole room cooling, but use the fridge as the radiator instead of the roof. Everything else would be in the ambient room temperature. plus having a smaller loop that's closer to the cold refrigerated rad might make a big difference.

What if someone got a black ops 3 juggernaut edition with the Juggernog mini fridge thing, and then put a pc in there? Obviuosly, with Black Ops 3 installed on the PC. 

The idea isn't as bad as people think, as long as you remove the moisture from inside and then seal the fridge properly there should be no issue and to be mindful that you cant just open it up at any ol time.

It would take some modding to got the IO shield to work out OK but it should be a good build. I am excited to see what Linus is able to do or do wrong.

Lol.  :lol:

*Edit

I forgot about the lower quality of the load design of the fridge, so no it would not work. If the compressor was a more robust design for 24hr use then yes it would be feasible but like Linus points out there is no gain here but increased electrical load.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Waiting calmly since yesterday at 1:25 a.m. For the YouTube link

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Waiting calmly since yesterday at 1:25 a.m. For the YouTube link

youtube link 7 days after it comes on vessel. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

youtube link 7 days after it comes on vessel.

I know, Calmly waiting though.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Aquarium chillers are always the answer for sub ambient.  Leaving air in the equation is just inefficiency.

Refrigerators aren't designed with an active heat load in mind.  The idea will either not work or kill the refrigerator.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I guess you can say the screen might freeze

Sorry for the bad pun

Not genuine Snipars.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeah, but why does he not use a genuine copy?

Because then he would need a new Windows license with every single change of motherboard, which is not great for a component testing standpoint.

The free grace period is more than enough for benching.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Now that you have told us that it is a bad idea to build a computer in a fridge, can you do a Scrap Yard War on a phase change system.

I'm curious about this video but with the LTT way of life (half assing everything) makes me think that this video won't answer all the questions I have. I'll have to wait to watch it I guess, but I'll update after. I've always wanted to build a pc inside a mini fridge. 

Forget the mini fridge, subambient cool the mineral oil! I don't know at what temp viscosity becomes an issue but find out. Also if your in mineral oil you don't have to worry about condensation.

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Double post

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Forget the mini fridge, subambient cool the mineral oil! I don't know at what temp viscosity becomes an issue but find out. Also if your in mineral oil you don't have to worry about condensation.

This would be interesting.  Right up my alley too since I'm pretty much set up to do it, I just don't want to trash my hardware by dunking it in oil.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Trashing hardware though is right up Linus's alley!

DAMN YOU LINUS!!!

That's a cool idea. Actually  moisture isn't that big of a problem here cuz we're talking about a fridge not a freezer and it would loke great too. Gettho, verticaly mounted motherbord  in a fridge is awsome plus you could store your mounten dew in it ;)

„Please don’t try to cool your yomputer with a fridge” „It will die.”

-Linus Sebastian 2015, april

Remember that? :D

I bet there will be people saying that it didn't work because the door wasn't sealed correctly, to those people: it wouldn't work even if the fridge was 100% sealed. The heat pump inside a fridge simply isn't made for that kind of work, it is meant to cool something that is at room temperature down to low temperatures (which takes 1+ hours, just to give you an idea on how weak it actually is) and then the insulation keeps it at that temperature for a long time. They were never designed to handle something that is actively generating heat, hell the compressor isn't even designed to run all the time and would probably die early because of what you're doing to it even with the first test.