How long would an intel core i5 last until Intel qualifies it obsolete

Go to solution Solved by minibois,

well a 2500K is still very viable right now, which is 4 years old now.

It still doesn't bottleneck a GTX 970. Take that as you want

I saw that plenty of sandy bridge cpu's are obsolete on intel's website and I want a future proof cpu. is haswell new enough to last at least 4 years. is devil's canyons. or should I just wait for intel skylake to come out. how long do cpu's typically last for intel i5

I saw that plenty of sandy bridge cpu's are obsolete on intel's website and I want a future proof cpu. is haswell new enough to last at least 4 years. is devil's canyons. or should I just wait for intel skylake to come out. how long do cpu's typically last for intel i5

You can never really "future proof" a PC, just get whatever is out at the moment, unless you can wait. The difference between CPU generations are very minimal.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

It depends on what you're gonna be using it for. But generally, yea, should last for 5 years or so

You can never really "future proof" a PC, just get whatever is out at the moment, unless you can wait. The difference between CPU generations are very minimal.

Thanks for replying so fast, I can't find any broadwell cpu's even though they have been out and about for almost a year. What is the newest cpu that is an i5 that I can buy below 300 USD.

Sandy Bridge is still good for most computing stuff there hasn't been much that has changed in recent years. So it could last you 4-5 years but we don't know how technology could change in the future for sure... i'll say it'll be fine. could go for skylake with ddr3/ddr4 if you really want to be sure.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Thanks for replying so fast, I can't find any broadwell cpu's even though they have been out and about for almost a year. What is the newest cpu that is an i5 that I can buy below 300 USD.

i5-4690 or i5-4690k 

Main RIG

CPU: i7-4790k@4,6GHz | GPU: ZOTAC GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Edition | RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair | MB: Z-97 MSI Gaming 5 | SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 850 | HDD: 2 x 1TB Western Digital Blue | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM 500W 80+ Gold | Case: Fractal Design R4

Living Room/LAN RIG

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258@OC | GPU: ASUS GTX 950 Strix | RAM: 8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX | MB: MSI H81I | SSD: 120 GB Samsung EVO 840 | PSU: be quiet! SFX 400W | Case: Fractal Design Node 202

it may say obsolete but I'm running a sandy bridge i7 and there's little difference practically vs a devils canyon to warrant an upgrade, it's into its 5th year and theres no reason to upgrade

we'll see how AMD Zen pushes the industry

Helpful optimist by day, Troll by night

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

A 4690K, is around  $200USD

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

There is no such thing as a future proof cpu, there is only a cpu that might still be relevant at a future date.

I will say the enthuiast platform generally lasts longer than the consumer, but you're paying a premium for it, and no there aren't any i5's on the enthusiast platform.

If you want to ask how long a chip lasts I'd say ask @ he's got a habit of using, repairing, modifyinf, and juryrigging chips I would consider way past their best days.

If you focus is gaming, take a look at steam for required specs on a game you want to play, figure out how old the cpu mentioned is, and multiply by 80%.

snip

I love your Sig quote! haha TB is great

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

My friend still has his 2500K i5, Still working till this day. He's got a 970 with it play at 1080p with issues. :) Heck even a Core 2 Quad Q6600 is still good for gaming and that's an old CPU. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

well a 2500K is still very viable right now, which is 4 years old now.

It still doesn't bottleneck a GTX 970. Take that as you want

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

just for info, sandy i7 beats 4690k both at stock

if you dont sacrifice anything, then get i7, they come with higher clock out of the box anyway

no such thing as "future proof"

as soon as you buy any sort of electronic device from a store it's considered obsolete

it may say obsolete but I'm running a sandy bridge i7 and there's little difference practically vs a devils canyon to warrant an upgrade, it's into its 5th year and theres no reason to upgrade

It'll push the industry like the fury x "did"  :(

It'll push the industry like the fury x "did"   :(

Fury X did push the industry we got a $400 cheaper Titan X within half a year cos nvidia panicked 

+1

I'm coming up to 6 years on x58 and reckon I can squeeze another 1-2 years out now that I've dropped a 6 core xeon in.

Plenty other things to upgrade on a system before ditching the platform, SSD, GPU etc.

Incidentally these will carry over to a new system later should you need them to, so it's not wasted money.

Pfft, future proof my ass . screw intel's pushing their new shit in everyone's face. i am stilll overly joyed with a i7 980x. and that's a 3+ year old cpu. just get an i5, it doesn't need to be the ultr4m3g4gam3rs00percomp4uterxxx just get something that fits your needs

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

My friend still has his 2500K i5, Still working till this day. He's got a 970 with it play at 1080p with issues. :) Heck even a Core 2 Quad Q6600 is still good for gaming and that's an old CPU. 

Hell, i have a pentium D somewhere.

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

+1

I'm coming up to 6 years on x58 and reckon I can squeeze another 1-2 years out now that I've dropped a 6 core xeon in.

Plenty other things to upgrade on a system before ditching the platform, SSD, GPU etc.

Incidentally these will carry over to a new system later should you need them to, so it's not wasted money.

Hell yeah, 1366 X58 for life!

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Sandy Bridge is nowhere near obsolete. They are overclocking beasts and per clock dont perform a lot worse than haswell.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Pfft, future proof my ass . screw intel's pushing their new shit in everyone's face. i am stilll overly joyed with a i7 980x. and that's a 3+ year old cpu. just get an i5, it doesn't need to be the ultr4m3g4gam3rs00percomp4uterxxx just get something that fits your needs

Actually the 980x was released in Q1 2010 :P

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Actually the 980x was released in Q1 2010 :P

Ah, whatever. xD

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!