Acer not recalling stock of XG270HU to update firmware for overdrive + Freesync fix, users expected to pay shipping

That Norwegian Guy

What fail from Acer. As noted in TFTcentral's review, to get the most sharpness and responsiveness out of the 144hz Freesync 1440p monitor, Acer XG270HU, you have to run it at the "normal" overdrive setting. However, because of Freesync drivers previously not supporting any overdrive at all, you had to run it at no overdrive (you can set it to normal but it won't have any effect)

XG270HU_gallery_05.png

Now that AMD fixed the issue in their drivers, BenQ immediately recalled and re-shipped the XL2730Z (the XG270HU's closest competition) with their new firmware, and now overdrive works on that monitor. Acer however, are stubbornly refusing to recall stock from stores to make the required fix, and according to Inet AB, they expect end users to send it back instead.

"The monitors we have still have the old firmware, if you want the new firmware you have to send it in for service."

And from Acer's rep through TFTcentral: 

"Customer service and experience are priorities for Acer. Customers owning an Acer XG270HU Monitor may potentially experience slower response times when connected  over DisplayPort to FreeSync compatible graphic cards of the PC. When connecting to PCs with other graphic cards or connection options there is no impact on the performance and response time. Customers which believe they are experiencing a potentially slower response time than normal, may contact the nearest Acer Service Center for a firmware update."

So if you wanted this monitor, you'll have to play hardball daredevil with Acer for a while, or opt for the BenQ monitor (which is a notch more expensive) or the ASUS MG279Q.

My thoughts: You could argue that due to the aggressive price point of the Acer monitor, it is to be expected that support wouldn't be so great. However, considering how much more expensive the BenQ monitor is in comparison for only a tad better performance in some areas, I would rather pay $20-$50 more for the Acer monitor if it means it is fully working out of the box, as it would still be cheaper than the BenQ.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This is why I own a BenQ monitor :)

damn right :)

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This is why I own a BenQ monitor :)

damn right :)

Mine is from 2008 though, need to upgrade even if 1200p is master race :D

I'm probably just going to get the XL2730Z.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Hang on, is the issue that it doesn't work because they designed it wrong or is it because the AMD freesync drivers changed?  If it was because Acer messed up then that's just poor customer service and borderline illegal. If AMD has fixed a problem or changed something at their end,  then it has nothing to do with acer and no one should expect them to foot the bill for it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Hang on, is the issue that it doesn't work because they designed it wrong or is it because the AMD freesync drivers changed?  If it was because Acer messed up then that's just poor customer service and borderline illegal. If AMD has fixed a problem or changed something at their end,  then it has nothing to do with acer and no one should expect them to foot the bill for it.

It was AMD's issue, the difference is that it was a known problem before both Acer and BenQ first shipped the two monitors. The only difference is that BenQ recalled theirs to update it, while Acer is making the end user pay. If Acer didn't want to recall to make the update when the fix was available, they should have not shipped it in the first place until it was fixed.

It was AMD's issue, the difference is that it was a known problem before both Acer and BenQ first shipped the two monitors. The only difference is that BenQ recalled theirs to update it, while Acer is making the end user pay. If Acer didn't want to recall to make the update when the fix was available, they should have not shipped it in the first place until it was fixed.

But the issue effects all freesync monitors so what about all the other brands?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Acer has been the worst in terms of customer support for me so far. So not surprised about this.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

But the issue effects all freesync monitors so what about all the other brands?

Asus' MG279Q was also fixed (they had sent out only review samples before it was fixed though)

Samsung just launched revisions of theirs, so any old ones will probably have the issue (the really cheap 4K monitors) but their replacements won't.

AFAIK, Acer is the only one with this approach to service. I don't know about LG.

One of the reasons ASUS is held in higher regard than Acer in Asia.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Asus' MG279Q was also fixed (they had sent out only review samples before it was fixed though)

Samsung just launched revisions of theirs, so any old ones will probably have the issue (the really cheap 4K monitors) but their replacements won't.

AFAIK, Acer is the only one with this approach to service. I don't know about LG.

Nixeus and viewsonic?

Just curious because I have had a lot of experience with Acer (and I mean a lot we're talking thousands of products) and never had issues like this before.  It doesn't surprise me that they might be doing the dirty by not fixing the issue, but it does surprise me that they shipped product knowing it had the issue to begin with.

Nixeus and viewsonic?

Just curious because I have had a lot of experience with Acer (and I mean a lot we're talking thousands of products) and never had issues like this before.  It doesn't surprise me that they might be doing the dirty by not fixing the issue, but it does surprise me that they shipped product knowing it had the issue to begin with.

Those two brands aren't available in my country, so I never bothered researching them (Viewsonic exists only at top-top end professional grade stuff)

Edit: Viewsonic has 1 freesync monitor listed here, but no etailers have it in stock so I assume they're in the middle of a recall. Nixeus never existed on the Norwegian market.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone with this monitor managed to have the firmware upgraded?

I am thinking about this monitor to go with the fury X,

I can get it 150 euros cheaper than the XL2730z, so it is an option.

But the benq, I am sure that if I buy one today, it will have the firmware upgraded since benq recalled them from retailers.

If I get the acer, I might get one with the old firmware.

acer aint good, but neither bad.

It's just a good option for budget sometimes, but that's about it.

the shipping costs are partly understandable since it is quite a big package after all.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

AMD bad drivers again? And from Acer, I knew it wasn't that good of a company. Cheap monitors come with this.

"How not to retain or gain customers" - presented by Acer.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

That's....surprisingly not unreasonable. Shipping is fucking expensive, and having amateurs pack in something as fragile as a monitor means they will be a ton of insurance claim with the shipping companies so yeah...I guess buyers should be particularly beware when buying large, fragile articles like monitors.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So, from my understanding, if I buy a XG270 and I get one with the old firmware, it's up to me to pack it and ship it to Acer for an upgrade?

If that's the case, the extra cost of the Benq might be worth it to save the trouble and have a peace of mind

So, from my understanding, if I buy a XG270 and I get one with the old firmware, it's up to me to pack it and ship it to Acer for an upgrade?

If that's the case, the extra cost of the Benq might be worth it to save the trouble and have a peace of mind

Consider that shipping a monitor is going to cost somewhere between $50-$150 USD, depending on what country you're in, and where the closest Acer facility is that you can ship to.

So you should factor that shipping cost into the "purchase price". That BenQ is looking better and better every day...

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

jc, what is overdrive? lol

I know "AMD Overdrive" is catalyst's built-in overclocking feature, but this sounds like something different.

And it makes sense for acer to do this, its risky to recall it and have users not pack the monitors (very expensive monitors, mind you) properly in boxes and they break, causing losses. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

jc, what is overdrive? lol

I know "AMD Overdrive" is catalyst's built-in overclocking feature, but this sounds like something different.

And it makes sense for acer to do this, its risky to recall it and have users not pack the monitors (very expensive monitors, mind you) properly in boxes and they break, causing losses. 

Monitor Overdrive is a lag compensation mechanism/feature in many monitors. It forces the pixels to refresh faster than the normal spec or something. The idea is to decrease input lag.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Monitor Overdrive is a lag compensation mechanism/feature in many monitors. It forces the pixels to refresh faster than the normal spec or something. The idea is to decrease input lag.

On the Acer monitor, the 'normal' overdrive setting compensates both for ghosting and input lag (after setting to 'normal' OD the Acer is even nearly as good as the BenQ at input lag, and sharper)