PCIe 4.0 to be finalized in 2017, with new connector and 16 GT/s data-rates

Bouzoo

pci_express_logo.png

Seems PCIe is still not ready for retirement. In fact, seems like it won't be for some time. What is now changing? Speeds (obviously)! Seems everything is gonna be doubled.

How fast is it gonna be?

“We are getting 16GT/s, something no one thought was possible a few years ago,” said Al Yanes, president of the PCI SIG, in an interview with EE Times. “The base distance is still being validated but it’s typically 7 inches or so. Longer channels of 15 inches or so with two connectors will have retimers, but Gen 3 has used retimers – now we will need to use them for shorter long channels.”

Also, it will be somewhat compatible with PCIe 3.0

PCI Express 4.0 will utilize a new connector, but the specification will be backward compatible mechanically and electrically with PCI Express 3.0, which means that it will be possible to use today’s add-in-cards in PCIe 4.0-based systems, but future AICs will not work with PCIe 3.0.

“We’ve done a lot of analysis on the connector – we tried everything possible,” said Mr. Yanes. “We have some top engineers in our electrical work group and they’ve come through – its exciting to see the amount of activity and participation.”

Except the change in speeds obviously, there is one big difference. It's gonna rely on optical, not copper links. I've no idea how that is gonan work.

“I got to believe engineers will find way to make [optics] cost effective by the time they are needed – even four years ago there was a big push on it,” said the head of the PCI SIG

From Wiki (numbers seem to be the same as in the article):

eu4W5Km.png

I'm hyped to see this, although I'm sure it won't be that soon when we'll see this in consumer components, neither I think we will actually see a difference with this, we as in normal people (maybe HBM2 will help?).

I can already see the discussion here, seen how there were more than few debates few weeks ago.

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

*sigh* I only just migrated from PCI at the start of last year and PCIe is getting a slot change soon?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Interesting. I wonder what the connector will look like,

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

This.....sounds....mostly...uneeded....making a lot of sacrifices for upping a standard we can't even saturate.

For gamers I mean.

Server side I had a mini nergasm. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

hype?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This means that we'll need to use a pcie 4 mobo for video cards which are released after 2017? wtf

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Also, long story short, Nvidia had better f***ing allow SLI on PCIe 4.0 x4

PMSL

This.....sounds....mostly...uneeded....making a lot of sacrifices for upping a standard we can't even saturate.

For gamers I mean.

Maybe with HBM2 it will show some difference... maybe... I doubt it

Hype confirmed.

yay

Hype+hype+hype+hype+https+falloutbethsof

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

ahh crap

", but future AICs will not work with PCIe 3.0. "

i guess this settles it im not gonna upgrade my CPU/mobo until that happens

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

ahh crap

", but future AICs will not work with PCIe 3.0. "

i guess this settles it im not gonna upgrade my CPU/mobo until that happens

And Zen wont have it, im not gonna buy another intel cpu i hate they platform lockdowns, i guess Zen 2 in 2018-19 is when i will upgrade, if there will be GPU's good enough to run 4k ultra.

Anyway i dont understand why the bandwidth will be the same, they want to use optical connectors but same bandwidth wtf?

And Zen wont have it, im not gonna buy another intel cpu i hate they platform lockdowns, i guess Zen 2 in 2018-19 is when i will upgrade, if there will be GPU's good enough to run 4k ultra.

Anyway i dont understand why the bandwidth will be the same, they want to use optical connectors but same bandwidth wtf?

I got that wrong, I was looking at the wrong spec, it was bothering me so I triple checked. PCIe 3.0 has 16 GB/s bandwidht on a x16 slot, 4.0 will have 32 GB/s on the same slot. It's fixed.

2019, PCIe Gen4 has come to mainstream motherboards, 2 lanes on Gen4 is the same as 16 lanes on Gen1. NVIDIA still insists on 8 lanes for SLI.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

2019, PCIe Gen4 has come to mainstream motherboards, 2 lanes on Gen4 is the same as 16 lanes on Gen1. NVIDIA still insists on 8 lanes for SLI.

We really need a 'more lanes' image similar to AMD's 'maor powuuuhhhh' pic

PMSL

*sigh* I only just migrated from PCI at the start of last year and PCIe is getting a slot change soon?

If you're on PCIE3 it probably wont change shit. You can use a PCIE3 graphic card on a 2.0, sure you'll have a slightly nerfed card but it shouldnt be unusable.

Intel platforms are locked down more than AMD?  :huh:

If you're on PCIE3 it probably wont change shit. You can use a PCIE3 graphic card on a 2.0, sure you'll have a slightly nerfed card but it shouldnt be unusable.

Test from my country, just look at the numbers, don't read.  :lol:

Barely any difference. Mind you it was 2 years ago. I think someone had Witcher 3 test but that would be too much digging. Basically the same difference as in the first test.

I'm on Gen 2.0, no point in using my H87 motherboard and i5 until my Xeon is either too slow or unstable at 3.6GHz.

PMSL

Intel platforms are locked down more than AMD?  :huh:

AMD:

-Doesnt lock CPU's (at least desktop CPU's, APU & mobile is irrelevant)

-Doesnt require a special chipset to OC, you can do so on any board;

Intel:

-Locks all CPU's except two K expensive versions and the extreme i7 platforms,for no reason other than profit.

-Needs special chipset to access OC at all, again for profit only.

I hope AMD doesnt lock down Zen they will fail hard if they do.

Anyway this is offtopic.

For gamers I mean.

Personally I'm very much happy that standards are being updated before they reach saturation. If only HDMI would do this...

That said, I am still running PCIe 2 and I'm not changing until I want a new CPU :P

AMD:

-Doesnt lock CPU's (at least desktop CPU's, APU & mobile is irrelevant)

-Doesnt require a special chipset to OC, you can do so on any board;

Intel:

-Locks all CPU's except two K expensive versions and the extreme i7 platforms,for no reason other than profit.

-Needs special chipset to access OC at all, again for profit only.

I hope AMD doesnt lock down Zen they will fail hard if they do.

Anyway this is offtopic.

Ehhh I have a couple of issues with the points you raise here. Firstly the chipset is not the only difference on Z97/87 motherboards. They also have decent VRM cooling which is lacking on other boards. Even when you can overclock on motherboards with other chipsets, it's often not advised for this reason. This is as true for AMD as it is for Intel -- if you want to overclock an 8320 by any decent amount you will not be wanting to do it on a £50 motherboard. You will be paying as much as you would be for a Z97 motherboard anyway, but with more outdated features.

Also you are understating Intel CPUs that you can overclock. It's not just i7 and i7 extreme. The 4690K is only about £10 more expensive than the 4690, which imo is nothing to cry about if you're spending £160 anyway. Secondly, the Pentium G3258 is overclockable and that's like £50.

That said, I am still running PCIe 2 and I'm not changing until I want a new CPU :P

Ditto, and then I only need to switch my GTX 970 to my s1150 rig.

PMSL