Fury X possibly reviewed with incorrect drivers

dasyoyo16

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3b30bt/discussionfury_x_possibly_reviewed_with_incorrect/

edit: it was confirmed recently by an AMD rep that the 180612a driver is fake and was probably meant to start trouble. this however does not explain why there are multiple 15.15 drivers, june 15 and the 20th. Anything you read below may no longer relavent and new comments should be taken with a grain of salt. If anyone here has a fury could you please bench for us with old and new drivers so we can put this to rest.

posted by /u/sofuckingnub on /r/AMD

"Just putting this out there. Here's a review that seems quite different from the other ones:https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ixbt.com%2Fvideo3%2Ffiji-part3.shtml This one actually shows that Fury beats 980 ti in a lot of tests and even titan x in some tests. Of course in lower resolutions it seems that NVidia still wins a lot of times, but it's not as bad as it is with some other reviewers. Now here's a possible reason why. Driver version used in this review is 15.15-180612a-18565BE which the reviewer was sent by AMD on June 18th. The press driver on AMD's FTP server is 15.15-150611a-185358E. I think this is probably the reason of this inconsistency."

Apparently there are 3 different drivers out there with the same 15.15 name, theres the june-20th one thats currently on amd's website, a june-17th, and the june-15th driver that all the reviewers used.

here is guru3d's benchmark with the most up to date driver and it is showing the fury beating the 980ti in most cases and even the titan, something the other reviews with the old drivers didn't.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_review,26.html

We will see.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

linus cat tips(woad know to install right driver)

if they had a working card to begin with dont know if they recieved there new card yet

I saw loads of reviewers saying the drivers seemed "young" and not finished, so we will probably see bigger improvements once they are fixed.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If it's true the pricing makes a lot more sense. More than anything this would show the two cards (fury x and 980ti) are perfectly comparable, and any slight edge may be a matter of drivers, which I'm sure will be refined by both parties in the future.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Guys what if amd derped and sent out the wrong driver

I mean, it makes sense. I just wish AMD would release the right drivers the first time...people already have bad first impressions of the Fury X

To be fair the driver is not released yet, it's in beta.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I mean, it makes sense. I just wish AMD would release the right drivers the first time...people already have bad first impressions of the Fury X

I fully agree here. It seems like AMD doing their best to sabotage themselves. First impressions really do count and if their lack of co-ordination on getting a driver generally available for the review samples to go out means every sees it benching below a 980Ti I don't think the next round of reviews are going to be able to make up for the impressions people already have.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

This nails that AMD has shitty drivers, but if the Fury X is a better performer than originally assumed, then awesome.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I fully agree here. It seems like AMD doing their best to sabotage themselves. First impressions really do count and if their lack of co-ordination on getting a driver generally available for the review samples to go out means every sees it benching below a 980Ti I don't think the next round of reviews are going to be able to make up for the impressions people already have.

Could be worse than the 3.5GB fiasco.

Releasing a brand new product with a 7 year development cycle and you release a bad driver. Lulz

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

@That Norwegian Guy

Your life just got more complicated.

Has anyone tested the card with 15.16 beta?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If this is true, then AMD has just made a giant blunder. Some heads will roll.

I'm not an AMD user but I sure hope so, it is good to finally have the red team ahead.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

So funny that a card is released with no official river only beta drivers, lol.   That is classic AMD right there.

If this is true, I can just imagine the amount of facepalms in AMD.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

i facepalmed so hard. AMD wtf?

If this is true, I can just imagine the amount of facepalms in AMD.

CPU: i5-4690 | CoolerCRYORIG H7 |GPU: PowerColor TurboDuo R9 280X OC RAM: G.skill RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 CL9Motherboard: ASUS B85M-E | SSD: ADATA XPG SX900 128GB |HDD: Western Digital Caviar BLUE 1TBCase: Cooler Master K281PSU: SeaSonic ECO 600W | Monitor: Samsung S24D390HL 24 Inch PLS

It is pretty much expected. Wasn't the 290x launch much like this?

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

But still, the difference between the cards are only 1-3 fps. Still not enough especially when the 980ti overclocks like a beast. All AMD needs to do now is show the overclocking ability of the fury x. It will be interesting when both cards are pushed to their limits.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Are all these sites using the same MSAA, graphics settings, etc? Cause the # of rops in 980 Ti vs Fury X can cause the 980 Ti to beat it out in some games if they use blending techniques for graphics.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

here is guru3d's benchmark with the most up to date driver and it is showing the fury beating the 980ti in most cases and even the titan, something the other reviews with the old drivers didn't.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_review,26.html

The performance difference is still underwhelming.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Forgot to say something

Blame gameworks.

either way it was AMD's fault. no one expects them to have more than one driver in a short span of time. Plus its going up against GM200 which has had 4 months of driver maturity.

I think AMD are probably going to let this slide, given that they probably used old Nvidia drivers for their own benchmarks from last week. Poetic happenstance.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR