Shame on you Linus - The Vessel controversy?

LogicalDrm

Making it a technicality? It would be even more shameful. I can laugh about it when he cheats during Scrapyard wars or in some other competition style video they make because its entertainment. But if he starts to hang on exact wordings like that, I might as well unsubscribe. No use watching someone who doesn't stand behind their promises and try to dodge blame with technicalities.

Before doing anything, it might be best to wait and see if any official word comes out about this.

I don't have any more info than you on this, but I'm assuming there will be some at least half-decent explanation behind it all. I'm also quite certain that this will be a one time thing.

That said: AFAIK Linus (LMG) has no obligation to keep content the same whatsoever. If the company deems it it advantageous to put different content on Vessel then they have all right to do so. What you do with your subscription/likes/views is of course completely up to you.

Disclaimer: that "staff" badge on the left has nothing to do with this message. All views and comments expressed are entirely my own and in no way connected to my position in the forum's team.

Before doing anything, it might be best to wait and see if any official word comes out about this.

I don't have any more info than you on this, but I'm assuming there will be some at least half-decent explanation behind it all. I'm also quite certain that this will be a one time thing.

That said: AFAIK Linus (LMG) has no obligation to keep content the same whatsoever. If the company deems it it advantageous to put different content on Vessel then they have all right to do so. What you do with your subscription/likes/views is of course completely up to you.

Disclaimer: that "staff" badge on the left has nothing to do with this message. All views and comments expressed are entirely my own and in no way connected to my position in the forum's team.

I really do hope this is one time only. And I don't mind about content being slightly different between platforms. But this will definetly change the way I support them going for paid content. And I will be less into defending Vessel that I have in past.

But I do feel like there should be announcement about changes like that. Video one if possible as I (among other) don't really follow Twitter or even FB.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Bit of a melodramatic title. I'm sure there's some reason or as to why. Linus has always been all about 'never lie to the internet because they'll always find out.'

Someone might have complained on vessel about something and they cut it out for the YouTube upload.

I'm pretty sure that its an editing error since they don't upload vessel's video onto youtube  :huh:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'm pretty sure that its an editing error since they don't upload vessel's video onto youtube  :huh:

I'm pretty sure they do upload same video to both in basis. Or rather they don't film it so that they would edit two videos. Since Linus is always talking about annotiations which Vessel doesn't use.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm pretty sure they do upload same video to both in basis. Or rather they don't film it so that they would edit two videos. Since Linus is always talking about annotiations which Vessel doesn't use.

There was once where a video was uploaded to youtube where there was a rendering error. I went to vessel and saw the same video without the error. 

Mr Nick(I think) took care of it pretty fast. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yeah - it's just that they've promised to keep the content the same on Vessel and Youtube, so if that changes (deliberately), it's a broken promise. People would have a right to react to that.

But I do want to wait and hear what they have to say about this. It seems odd that they would start to make "better" content for Vessel this way, most people would never even notice that the Vessel content was different and thus it wouldn't be much of a selling point. Some kind of mistake or experiment seems more likely.

OK... first off I'd like to apologize if you guys felt slighted by this. That was actually the opposite of our intention...

Through the week the editor in charge of this project reconsidered a few of his choices and felt that the video was in fact better when cut a little shorter (and the team here agreed with him on that). We're constantly looking at ways to improve our content, including streamlining videos over 10 minutes since the VAST majority of our audience prefers videos that are shorter than that (I do understand that that isn't the case with many of you folks here on the forum).

To my knowledge this is the first time a video on Vessel has been different in content from a video on YouTube, and it is definitely not going to become a regular occurrence. We simply thought that the video was significantly better in its new form, and wanted to share the best possible version of this piece of content with all of you.

Frankly I think it's awesome that you guys care enough to even notice something like this - even it if did cause a bit of a negative response in some <3. Thank you for being such awesome supporters.

FYI the Vessel version is now free for anyone (whether you have an account or not) to watch, so if you feel like you missed out by watching the slightly shorter YouTube version, you can definitely check it out on the Vessel channel - though, like I said, I think the YT version of this vid is better anyway.

TL;DR our intent was not to slight anyone in the YouTube audience. We simply thought that the shorter version was the better version, so we released that one. We never plan to differentiate our content between platforms, and in the future we'll be much more careful about maintaining consistency across our platforms.

OK... first off I'd like to apologize if you guys felt slighted by this. That was actually the opposite of our intention...

Through the week the editor in charge of this project reconsidered a few of his choices and felt that the video was in fact better when cut a little shorter (and the team here agreed with him on that). We're constantly looking at ways to improve our content, including streamlining videos over 10 minutes since the VAST majority of our audience prefers videos that are shorter than that (I do understand that that isn't the case with many of you folks here on the forum).

To my knowledge this is the first time a video on Vessel has been different in content from a video on YouTube, and it is definitely not going to become a regular occurrence. We simply thought that the video was significantly better in its new form, and wanted to share the best possible version of this piece of content with all of you.

Frankly I think it's awesome that you guys care enough to even notice something like this - even it if did cause a bit of a negative response in some <3. Thank you for being such awesome supporters.

FYI the Vessel version is now free for anyone (whether you have an account or not) to watch, so if you feel like you missed out by watching the slightly shorter YouTube version, you can definitely check it out on the Vessel channel - though, like I said, I think the YT version of this vid is better anyway.

TL;DR our intent was not to slight anyone in the YouTube audience. We simply thought that the shorter version was the better version, so we released that one. We never plan to differentiate our content between platforms, and in the future we'll be much more careful about keeping consistency across our platforms.

Mr. nick, 

I noticed you signature exceeds the 3 line rule. what do you have to say for yourself?

/s just poking fun, no flame

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Mr. nick, 

I noticed you signature exceeds the 3 line rule. what do you have to say for yourself?

/s just poking fun, no flame

I have no idea what you're talking about  :ph34r:

Random tangent - but seriously fuck the ADD kids who can't handle a > 10 minute video.  On YT I can immediately tell which vids are actually going to be worth watching just by looking at teh duration.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I guess it remains to be seen how this thing will pan out over time. If they make this just a one time thing, then great. If not... that'll be annoying.

Either way, it's a very temporary issue. LMG started the whole Vessel thing to see if they can make a bit more money after Google started shafting people using YouTube as their business platform. I get that. That makes sense. These guys work really, really hard to bring content to their viewers, and if costs start getting cut, that's hard. However, something else will have to happen over time, perhaps with LTT branching out into other pursuits, because once the 12-month freebie expires, LTT's profit margins from Vessel will plummet. So it will likely become a self-correcting issue in the long run.

@nicklmg, thank you for clearing this. I thought first that it was because releasing something unwanted to general public (as is Youtube). As I said, I really don't mind, just was interested of why this has happened. And maybe to ask if any other videos have been tampered with. Also, I don't generally make posts like this. But Vessel thing has been up lately due to all copyright things, so... I think I'll handle this kind of thing by PM if I see it happen again.

And its nice to know that Vessel video is free after 7 days wall period.

(@MG2R, I'll let it pass. This time.)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

TL;DR our intent was not to slight anyone in the YouTube audience. We simply thought that the shorter version was the better version, so we released that one. We never plan to differentiate our content between platforms, and in the future we'll be much more careful about maintaining consistency across our platforms.

Thanks for addressing this Nick. I've never had an issue with LMG's use of Vessel but when I first saw this I was a little peeved but your statement as abated that. It makes sense and I'm glad you addressed it. You also make a good point that the video is free to anyone after a week but I hope this isn't a frequent thing as you stated as I'd rather just stick with Youtube lol. Again, thank you!