Shame on you Linus - The Vessel controversy?

LogicalDrm

Mod note: you can find the official answer to this in this post.

So far I'm not opposed Vessel in anyway. Because the way LMG has said to be using it isn't bad. Week delay, nothing really. But this latest turn is something you might want to get worked over with.

The latest CSF (Channel Super Fun) video released in Youtube is among the best in channel. I've watched it twice on Vessel and now third time on Youtube. The thing is, in Youtube its only 8 minutes long. 8:10 to be exact.

In Vessel same video is 11 minutes long. Or 11:25 to be exact. I wouldn't notice such thing normally. But since I've watched it so many times... Here's the Vessel link for comparison https://www.vessel.com/videos/TnvNGjJGD

One moment when things have been cut away from Youtube edition is when Berkel makes "old farmer" accent @ 2:25 on Youtube. And thing before that too since on Vessel its 2:50 mark.

Is this making Vessels paywall content more exclusive? I know it isn't about time restrictions, or encoding of Youtube since its been min 9h since video upload/release. I want to know reason for such action.
@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg Edited by MG2R
Added link to official post.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don't see people subbing to vessel after free promo runs out. Of course some will, but not that many.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yeah I agree with the cat above me.

I wouldn't mind having a minute or two less on youtube, but you guys did promise us the same content on youtube for free, and this isn't really keeping the promise.

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg

Nice observation. It was probably because they wanted a shorter video or felt some of it was unnecessary. It would be pointless for them to give more content on vessel and not feature it as a selling point for more people to join.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Nice observation. It was probably because they wanted a shorter video or felt some of it was unnecessary. It would be pointless for them to give more content on vessel and not feature it as a selling point for more people to join.

If they would go for shorter videos, both platforms would still need same content. So taking down current Vessel video and replacing it with the shorter one.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If they would go for shorter videos, both platforms would still need same content. So taking down current Vessel video and replacing it with the shorter one.

I don't think they'd take down the Vessel video. I don't know about both platforms needing the same content legally or contractually, but for the sake of keeping their word, it would be the right thing to make the videos the same.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

I don't think they'd take down the Vessel video. I don't know about both platforms needing the same content legally or contractually, but for the sake of keeping their word, it would be the right thing to make the videos the same.

Yeah. I don't even understand why bother going through editing it again for the youtube version...

Yeah. I don't even understand why bother going through editing it again for the youtube version...

Maybe to keep upload times down. They have a large staff, so someone may have had time to do some final edits to the CSF video.

maybe they made two versions and were trying to decide which was better, and uploaded the wrong one to youtube? idk lol, its a possibility.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It's like one SuperFun video and a couple short scenes of difference, it isn't really that big of a deal is it? 

Maybe if it became a regular thing or something, but they probably just thought the video would be better without those scenes so they edited it again and then uploaded it to youtube or uploaded the wrong version to youtube, either way, it's not a massive deal. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Don't you think "shame on you" is a little melodramatic? After the free 12 months is up barely anyone is going to use it and it will quietly die.

well, as long as they just keep it at the CSF vids i don't see a real problem with this. tough if they start doing this in their reviews and stuff then there is reason for concern.

don't get me wrong tough, this isn't cool, and they did promise to keep the content the same on both platforms.

What the hell does vesselling mean roofl

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Wait, no..

I don't see this becoming a regular thing..

CSF videos should be short and entertaining an apparently they thought those scenes were not necessary 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's like one SuperFun video and a couple short scenes of difference, it isn't really that big of a deal is it? 

Maybe if it became a regular thing or something, but they probably just thought the video would be better without those scenes so they edited it again and then uploaded it to youtube or uploaded the wrong version to youtube, either way, it's not a massive deal. 

The thing is that this was so far only video I notice it. Who knows how many others have same thing.

Don't you think "shame on you" is a little melodramatic? After the free 12 months is up barely anyone is going to use it and it will quietly die.

Title is reference for their policy, much discussed in here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382257-urgent-need-linus-luke-copyright-probleme/, about providing exact same content on Vessel and Youtube. So if you only use Youtube, you don't miss anything. Well, now you miss couple of jokes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What the hell does vesselling mean roofl

Joke/troll? Vessel is paid video platform to increase moneyflow for LMG.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Joke/troll? Vessel is paid video platform to increase moneyflow for LMG.

No idea what LMG is or this 'Vessel' shit is.  I came here from LinusTechTips lol srry

But if they not putting out the same content on youtube, that should be addressed. You have the right to know.

No idea what LMG is or this 'Vessel' shit is.  I came here from LinusTechTips lol srry

LinusTechTips is one of the channels now owned by Linus' company LinusMediaGroup (LMG) ;) Other channels are TechQuickie and Channel Super Fun

Vessel is a new video platform behind a paywall. They offered a free year for one weekend. All LMG material is on both YouTube and Vessel. Vessel usually gets content a week in advance.

That's all I know.

EDIT: visit linusmediagroup.com for the company website ;)

EDITEDIT: the LMG site is very outdated by now though.

But if they not putting out the same content on youtube, that should be addressed. You have the right to know.

My fault. I'm so used to regular users here so I tend to fly away with acronyms. LTT refers to main channel LinusTechTips, CSF is Channel Super Fun and TQ is TechQuickie. Like @MG2R said, LMG is for Linus Media Group, the company behind all of them owned by Linus and his wife (maybe Luke too). Vessel is the platform they took as another option earlier this year. Oh, and if you refer forum people, we use LTTF, LinusTechTips Forum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Wow, really. I get it its a little thing in reality and that would be the kind of response I would expect back from LMG but if it was a continuous action done I would be much more disappointed. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

My fault. I'm so used to regular users here so I tend to fly away with acronyms. LTT refers to main channel LinusTechTips, CSF is Channel Super Fun and TQ is TechQuickie. Like @MG2R said, LMG is for Linus Media Group, the company behind all of them owned by Linus and his wife (maybe Luke too). Vessel is the platform they took as another option earlier this year. Oh, and if you refer forum people, we use LTTF, LinusTechTips Forum.

LOL. Good to know, thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I just started watching their TQ video's, I love them. They need to do one on SSL :D

Oh, and if you refer forum people, we use LTTF, LinusTechTips Forum.

Have never even seen that acronym around.... I always just refer to the forum. Because, you know, there is only one forum :P

Have never even seen that acronym around.... I always just refer to the forum. Because, you know, there is only one forum :P

Usually you see that one used in description of different forum related gaming communities.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

He said ltt content would be the same not csf linus gunna linus

Making it a technicality? It would be even more shameful. I can laugh about it when he cheats during Scrapyard wars or in some other competition style video they make because its entertainment. But if he starts to hang on exact wordings like that, I might as well unsubscribe. No use watching someone who doesn't stand behind their promises and try to dodge blame with technicalities.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv