In Today's World Is Optical Drive Necessary?

NeelanCruzz

I use mine to play old games like The Simpsons Hit & Run and watch DVDs, but that's about it

I think that if you have Unlimited Data on your internet then no an optical drive is not needed.

I am only using one in my MacPro at the moment for archiving all my DVDs onto a NAS and I am torrenting all my blu-rays (Its legal to own a backup of a movie that you own). Plus I'm keeping all of the DVDs just in storage instead of taking up room in my already full to the brim bedroom.

Anyway I own an S340 and its a fantastic little case but the side panel can get scratched easily. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

It depends. For most people, it's fine. If you're in somewhere where the internet's not too amazing, or if you have a number of older games, you may have a use.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I am a First Time Builder I am Going to Use NZXT S340 Case For my build ..... but it does not have that 5 and a quater bay.

I Personally think That Using Dvds is Shit Bcoz i Mostly Download Movies As well as Games

and Even If i opt For Seeing a Movie I Mostly Watch it On TV Using The Seperate Bluray Player.

But Some People Say That U need to hav a optical Drive in ur Pc?? Is Is necessary??

I would recommend one because i'ts only 20 bucks and YOLO

For me, yes. I refuse to buy digital music and films, as they hold a little more value when they're physical. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

When you have a 100GB data cap, yeah you kinda need one,

Do we live in a world where data caps is still a thing? yes we do,

do we then live in a world where we still need to cling to optical

disc drives? yes we do.

Not to mention that boxed game copies with some nice artwork

is vastly superior and holds a greater sentimental value compared

to digital copies. 

Google servers disagrees with your Datacap...

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

I don't know, but I think optical drive is still needed although rarely used.... Better safe than sorry.... Don't know when to use it.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

i feel as if a bluray drive is nice to have (considering that it is cheaper than getting bluray player 4 the livingroom)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Google servers disagrees with your Datacap...

I don't see how.

You're not my mother, you can't tell me what I do & do not need! :P

In all seriousness, I use my ODD whenever I buy music CD's but, that's all it gets used for now. I can't even recall the last time I burnt a CD or DVD for that matter. So yeah.

I don't even bother buying physical versions of PC games anymore, unless; A: it's cheaper than Steam & B: it has Steamworks. It's usually not the case though, so I just stick to digital. I think WoW was the last PC game I bought as a physical copy and that was the Cataclysm expansion since, it was just easier for me to go digital last 2 expansions.

Saying that I love having physical media for TV shows, movies, music & console games. Dunno why just something I prefer I guess.

The only thing I have "physical" copies of now are Blu Rays (ive always liked having a physical collection of movies) and console games.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Holy shit.

You only need caps for starts of sentences and nouns. Jesus christ man.

U r the definition of an F#cking Grammar Asshole. 

Don't need one. Install everything via DAEMON tools and no data cap :D

Take it easy man

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Short story: yes. Long story: I'll give it tomorrow

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Okay I Apologize Lots And Lots.

Optical Drives Are Not Necessary By The Way.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Don't need one. Install everything via DAEMON tools and no data cap :D

Take it easy man

kRQBx2d_700wa_0.gif

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I don't see how.

Have you see Google Internet? 300mb/s if you don't have a cap on that and you download an ungodly amount of shiz then a cap would help you from not running over that and paying out of pocket which I assume they would charge a f*&k ton for honey trapping is business and any business is good buisiness, suck you in with "unlimited" internet then you run over it because I know people who could eat 100Gb cap like it's nothing.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

I still have an optical drive in my laptop 1yo and I actually need it for work.  As a teacher there are some documentaries that can not be downloaded and are only found on disk form.  Ditto for some of the programs we still have to use.  Also lets just say the internet where I am is bad, really bad most of the time.  So while they are going the way of the dodo optical drives are not extinct just yet.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has five different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salted sheep heads

Haven't had one in my main rig since 2011.

It's only necessary for HTPCs/ Steamboxes.

I thought the whole point of Steamboxes was that they had Steam, which meant that content was delivered digitally. :P

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I still always have to use mine. I would love it over anything else. Physical over digital.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I thought the whole point of Steamboxes was that they had Steam, which meant that content was delivered digitally. :P

Well I'm not interested in having more than 1 box next to my TV. So that one box needs to have everything. That includes a blu-ray drive, and a lot of hard drives for other media.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

You don't need it. If you ever need one in the future just buy an external one, almost the same price as an internal one.

G5 casemod is done :D!

i5 2500K with Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 | 8GB @1600 | Club3D HD 7950 royalKing | Corsair Carbide 500R Black | Samsung 830 SSD 128GB + 2TB HDD | XFX ProSeries 750W XXX | dell u2312hm