The Witcher 3 Supposedly looks the same on PC as on Consoles

When a Polish gaming website asked the following question during an interview with CD Projekt Red Managing Director, "And all the models and textures are the same?"

They were given the following answer:

Yes, there is only one version, without it we would not be able to create the game on time. We'd have to undress her, build and test separately on three platforms, which is impossible. So we do it on a single database, and then distribute it to all devices. On platforms where there is less memory otherwise manage it. Load less complex models, it all depends on what is happening on the screen at any given time. In summary, there is little difference between the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, rather than solve some errors reconfigure.

There is some more gems in that interview, like when this question was asked, "At the recommended requirements for PC will reach 30 or 60 frames?"

"I think we'll stick with 30 frames. Until the end we are going to work on performance, it is crucial since different machines are very diverse. Developers insisted that we should not practice demagogy and nobody gets cheated, by lowering announced requirements with lower specifications. It is as we wrote, can only get better."

From someone who speaks Polish:

This is the quote from the interview:

A wszystkie modele i tekstury są takie same? Are all models and textures the same?

Tak, jest tylko jedna wersja, bez tego nie bylibyśmy w stanie stworzyć gry na czas. Yes, there is only one version, otherwise we wouldn't be able to develop the game on time.

He also states that, for example, the draw distance for grass is very similar on all platforms. Main differences will come from GameWorks technologies but you will need a beastly rig to run those.

Reasumując, jest niewiele różnic pomiędzy PC, PlayStation 4 a Xboksem One, raczej rozwiązują pewne błędy niż zmieniają konfigurację.
To sum it up, there are very little differences between PC, PS4 and XONE, they are rather solving some issues [memory usage, for example] instead of changing the [build] configuration.

He is saying that they will display 30 on recommended specs, not clarifying if it's a lock (it's not mentioned or suggested), but I doubt that, it sounds more like they are not aiming to optimize this game to the point it could run at 60 but rather 30.

Source: http://www.gry-online.pl/S018.asp?ID=1132

Translated Source

I really don't know what to say about this. Witcher has always been a display of PC greatness, and here they are doing what everyone never expected them to do. Degrade the overall PC experience because they wanted to get the game on consoles. What is this world coming to? If anyone speaks Polish and cares to give a more accurate translation feel free to do so.

Oh gosh. I find it hard to believe the devs would let this happen judging by the success of The Witcher 2.

"While discussing The Witcher 3, Michal Stec – Art Producer of the game, disclosed that the development team is not downgrading the game’s visuals and that they are working to get the best possible performance from the game."

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-visual-downgrade-dismissed-best-performance-possible

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

PCMasterRace is coming

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Until I see more sources stating this is true I don't believe a word of it.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I see Watch_Dogs scandel V. 2 on the horizon, if that is true.

But, untill there are more sources, I would take it with a grain of salt.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

So-it-begins-the-great-shitstorm-of-our-

Man your posts, prepare for battle.

Ouch. Just ouch. Did they get greedy? Or lazy? Or realized that concurrently developing for 3 platforms might've been a bigger drain on their resources than they had expected. 

Maybe lazy. 30fps on consoles? No damns given, I wasn't buying this on my console. Why limit it for PC? Let it run rampant. If people have crap hardware and can't run it as 60fps, thats their problem. Not yours. Let us chose what FPS we want.

And textures? Why not make high res ones like Shadow of Mordor did? for those with cards that can truly handle it? Why not just make different ones? Are these games easy to mod? Can someone do what we did to Skyrim and just make their own "high res" texture packs? 

Good thing I didn't preorder this at all. Not in good faith can I condone this kind of behaviour anymore. Maybe CDPR should've shut up and stopped hyping it so much before. 

You know what we hate? A game that lies that graphics don't matter because the developers were lazy. Thats what makes people mad. I think people would've been fine if the game wasn't as "ERMAGHERD GRAPHIX" as they have been pushing. If they had been pushing the "SUPA FUN GAMEPLAY" aspect more, we would give less awesome graphics a pass. I'll take a decent looking game with great gameplay over an amazing looking game with garbage gameplay. Hell, KotOR still ranks in my Top 1 of RPG games, and that thing looks awful these days. 

All I can say is Ubisoft are behind this in one way or another!

I believe this was wrongly translated from polish, it should be 'all versions have the same base', like all games have.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

"While discussing The Witcher 3, Michal Stec – Art Producer of the game, disclosed that the development team is not downgrading the game’s visuals and that they are working to get the best possible performance from the game."

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-visual-downgrade-dismissed-best-performance-possible

Entirely different issue, that is a response to a completely different interview.

Not at 4k it won't. And with supersampling turned on.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I believe this was wrongly translated from polish, it should be 'all versions have the same base', like all games have.

EXACTLY. All the games have the same textures, it depends how good your system is and how good you can load them. I guarantee the PC version will be better. :) Usually consoles load higher textures and sacrifice special effects and/or view distance. :)

Until I see more sources stating this is true I don't believe a word of it.

This source is legit, it's true, one of the dev guys said that in the interview. The assets are basically the same, they are only handling memory different on XO, PS4 and PC, eg. loading less complex models on weaker machines if they are far away from the camera. There is one build for each platform with all the same assets.

They are also deliberately not giving lowered minimum and recommended specs so there will be no bitching afterwards, but working on optimizing the game until the very end so they may be lowered a bit (I doubt that).

owls are awesome

That doesn't make sense to the question asked though. Also the response to that question is, "yes, there is only one version, without it we would not be able to create the game on time.Which would signify there's not different levels of textures

That doesn't make sense to the question asked though. Also the response to that question is, "yes, there is only one version, without it we would not be able to create the game on time.Which would signify there's not different levels of textures

Yes, that is the case. There is only one set of assets for each platform and different builds that differ by memory optimization. At least that's in this interview. I guess only Luka or any other game dev can tell us how to achieve lower res textures for lower PC settings. Maybe they have some sort of mass resize tool for them?

owls are awesome

to all you people crying, read his statement carefully. nowhere does he say itll look the same, just that there using one build for all 3 systems. and it auto scales aspects (most likely on the consoles)

to all you people crying, read his statement carefully. nowhere does he say itll look the same, just that there using one build for all 3 systems. and it auto scales aspects (most likely on the consoles)

If there's not different levels of Textures, then what would that mean. Do you not understand that concept? 

Understand the whole statement, he finishes with, "without it we would not be able to create the game on time"

If there's not different levels of Textures, then what would that mean. Do you not understand that concept?

they can still use high quality textures as textures effect memory capacity more then performance...