Desktops not feeling well.

soup

OK desktops may not be dead but (going by magazines and shops anyway) they are "circling the drain".

A local(ish) chain called PC World used to consist of warehouse sized shops full of MoBos, keyboards, procesors etc.  Now it is part of Curries-PC World which sells mainly fridges, cookers, televisions and that sort of thing whilst there are only five aisles dedicated to computery stuff, two for phones two for tablets and one dedicated to laptops there are also half a dozen or so pre-built systems advertised.

I also spent time looking for something to read at a WH Smiths.  Beside all the "How to use your iPad., iPad for beginers etc there were half a dozen or so PC titles one was 'PC Advisor ( the rest were Linux user etc which I didn't look at as I no longer even dual boot) this had one article which was a 'top 10 laptops currently availlable' and one which concerned all in one systems the rest of this magazine was tablets and phones including an article titled "how to take better selfies" when I saw that my heart sank: there was no tech news no building hints/tips anything like that.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Desktops circling the drain? heh.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

OK desktops may not be dead but (going by magazines and shops anyway) they are "circling the drain".

A local(ish) chain called PC World used to consist of warehouse sized shops full of MoBos, keyboards, procesors etc.  Now it is part of Curries-PC World which sells mainly fridges, cookers, televisions and that sort of thing whilst there are only five aisles dedicated to computery stuff, two for phones two for tablets and one dedicated to laptops there are also half a dozen or so pre-built systems advertised.

I also spent time looking for something to read at a WH Smiths.  Beside all the "How to use your iPad., iPad for beginers etc there were half a dozen or so PC titles one was 'PC Advisor ( the rest were Linux user etc which I didn't look at as I no longer even dual boot) this had one article which was a 'top 10 laptops currently availlable' and one which concerned all in one systems the rest of this magazine was tablets and phones including an article titled "how to take better selfies" when I saw that my heart sank: there was no tech news no building hints/tips anything like that.

duhh

weve got one magazine left which is dedicated just towards pc(gamin)hardware and (hig end/gaming)laptops over her in germany

BUT these guys usually do great work, very detaild benchmarking and so on

and they got quite a sense of humor :D

also, we are techies. of course we wont get our information in an analog way ;P

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

For general consumer use, yes, mobile and portable hardware will take over (and has) as the things people use it for is not very intensive. e.g. web browsing, excel/office work. Whereas for productivity and gaming (and other things), currently, you can't beat the price to performance (and upgrade-ability) of a desktop pc. 

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

I used to buy a tech magazine, but recently they are shifting the focus more and more on mobile and the truth is, most of that information could be had faster and earlier by just using the internet. I don't see that as a hint that desktops are dying, but rather as a hint that tech magazines are trying to go more mainstream, and the common citizen is completely ignorant of tech and only cares about his 800$ selfie machine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A local(ish) chain called PC World used to consist of warehouse sized shops full of MoBos, keyboards, procesors etc. Now it is part of Curries-PC World which sells mainly fridges, cookers, televisions and that sort of thing whilst there are only five aisles dedicated to computery stuff, two for phones two for tablets and one dedicated to laptops there are also half a dozen or so pre-built systems advertised.

I also spent time looking for something to read at a WH Smiths. Beside all the "How to use your iPad., iPad for beginers etc there were half a dozen or so PC titles one was 'PC Advisor ( the rest were Linux user etc which I didn't look at as I no longer even dual boot) this had one article which was a 'top 10 laptops currently availlable' and one which concerned all in one systems the rest of this magazine was tablets and phones including an article titled "how to take better selfies" when I saw that my heart sank: there was no tech news no building hints/tips anything like that.

PC world is a national franchise who under the parent company are merged with Currys.

Maplins (my local one) has 1/3 of the shop dedicated to the components along with another 1/3 dedicated to periphals and PCs built in shop with what they have.

Far from dead

I wouldnt say this is an indication of desktop pc's circling the drain. 
Laptops still dont have the power, price, longevity and customizability to really overtake a good desktop.

If anything Desktop gaming is at a really strong point right now.

since i keep seeing this sentence "Desktops are dying" and clearly from people who have no idea about the subject. so here is explanation of what happened to desktops over the past 5 years or so:

-For average consume:

when it comes to people who use there desktop for internet browsing or to do some light work duties, 3-6 years old hardware can do that just fine according to their standards, so u wont be seeing these people buy new desktops too often.

in the same time tablets and smartphones showed up in the past few years, which clearly can handle lots of those small tasks easily. now take the average consumer point of view in perspective and u  will notice that they would spend on 1 or 2 of those 3 devices "desktop,tablet and smart phones", ofc it would end up with smart phones and tablets and u would end up with less people buying desktops in a short while like they used too.

-For students:

computers are part of almost every class that the student is involved with, now when it comes to students picking between a desktop or a laptop they would go with a laptop since most of them need to carry it around at some point, so u end up with more laptops, smart phones and tablets than desktops.

-For Content creatures, gamers and tech savvy:

For these people desktops are getting better and better every few months and they are willing to update their hardware when ever they can, these people are the ones who value the desktop as it is, and we will keep buying new desktop hardware for a long long time :D.

Theres a currys and a pc world within about 30ft of each other where i live. So not really dead..

But yes Desktops are dying for mainstream consumer use. I mean if i didnt game I would be fine with a laptop or Tablet as my primary device.

But still Peripheral options still make desktops attractive to a lot of people so i wouldnt get too worried.

I wouldn't agree that it's Desktop PCs that are circling... but brick and mortar is. Many of these stores just can't compete with places like Newegg/NCIX/Amazon/Enter_preference_here in terms of "Do we want to carry this or keep it in warehouse?" and simple convenience. Plus, added bonus, it's usually cheaper through ones like the above

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

The desktop may be on its way out for the 'common user' but us enthusiasts and people with specific needs will keep the market going for longer...

A close friend's dad is a manager for a PC world store

Yeah, PC is mainly suited to enthusiasts and professionals as tablets and smartphones take over the consumer space 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Circling the drain.... hmmmmm. I wonder why I see atleast 5 people with a whole build in their shopping cart every time I go to Microcenter.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

The desktop market has largely moved online. It isn't practical for retail stores to stock pc parts because we are a small demographic and, even when we do buy parts, we don't do it often enough to justify carrying them. And thank God most places don't. Because if they did, parts would be more expensive due to advertisement and overhead costs. 

Desktops led to this amazing world that we now inhabit and has everything you could need to maintain your own. And if I have to wait a week for a product to have all of those benefits  then so be it.

Halfbreed

<sigh>

Fine, yes, on a consumer level where most people are, the PC will die out. It's not going to happen overnight though: tablets still aren't powerful enough for the price. They'll get there though. HOWEVER.

Anyone who wants to game at high settings at 1440p, encode video or get any real work done at all, they will still need a workstation or a powerful computer to do all of that. You just can't fit a workstation into a Surface 3 tablet. It just doesn't work.

Now, laptops, laptops are doing extremely well, because you get the best of both worlds. Well, we're talking about gaming laptops in particular right now but bear with me: Gaming laptops have started to get to the point where they're overtaking a lot of high-end commercial desktops in terms of raw computational power. You can get a quad-core i7 laptop with SLI 970Ms (that's like having a 980 in a LAPTOP) that runs off of 200W and still is small and light enough that you can game, then edit some videos, then have to go out somewhere and pack up your computer in about 2 seconds, then wake it up the second you get there. It's crazy how powerful we're getting these things to be.

computer people who erent just hipsters who act like they helped make windows all migrated to forums and small companies.

none of us leave to go buy a magazine.... why would we when we can use the internet we're already paying for to read it? 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

this is depressing still.

one day building computers yourself wont be a better value anymore...

one day everyone will just pick up thier glass tablet and walk around using thier brain to controll it...

i dont like this.

plzz. gimma my model M, gimme my pentium 3... i want my gefore fx 5600......

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

one day everyone will just pick up their glass tablet and walk around using their brain to control it...

That sounds pretty freaking awesome to me...

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

*Writes this reply without getting any further in the post, laughs, then clicks away into another subforum*

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I'll stick with desktop until I'm dead. No interest in tablets, no interest in touch screens. Cybernetic displays maybe, but by then I'm hoping for a real life version of the matrix (true virtual reality) and not the shit from lawnmower man.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

PC can stand for "personal crap" or "Past Caring" so it still fits PC-World's business model.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Nobody on the internet recommends prebuild systems and up to a point they are correct. Now you just choose the part that are recommended for your needs and you can either build the system yourself or ask the shop to build it for you. New users do receive free support from more experienced users so this part is covered as well.