"YouTube ditches Flash for HTML5 video by default"

TopWargamer

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/27/youtube-ditches-flash-for-html5-video-by-default/

HTML for YouTube has been available for a little while now, but only for Chrome I believe (don't quote me on that). Of course you could use extensions to force HTML playback and whatnot..... But anyways, back to the article at hand...

YouTube now defaults to HTML on Chrome, Internet Explorer 11, Safari 8, and beta versions of Firefox. Not only that, but YouTube is even switching over to HTML for embedded videos posted around the web. They're also starting to get rid of their Flash API and are instead pointing users to the iframe API instead.

So what are some of the advantages to using HTML?

-MediaSource Extensions

-VP9 video codec

-Encrypted Media Extensions and Common Encryption

-WebRTC

-Fullscreen APIs

COMIC SANS

while using the html, i can only view videos in 720p max. i was using an extension to block html so i could watch in 4k

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Except that it uses DASH, which prevents you from buffering more than just a small portion of the video. If you use an extension to disable DASH, you can't play anything higher than 720p video. It's quite a pain.

nvm

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

On my old MacBook, Flash was the only player that could play smooth in 720p; HTML5 would crush it at even 480p :(

Except that it uses DASH, which prevents you from buffering more than just a small portion of the video. If you use an extension to disable DASH, you can't play anything higher than 720p video. It's quite a pain.

You can disable DASH playback.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/49606-preload-entire-youtube-videos-by-disabling-dash-playback/

COMIC SANS

This is only a problem if you have a slow/unstable connection though

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I re-installed Windows 7 on my machine six months ago. After I did so, I did not install Flash Player, and instead just downloaded Google Chrome. I am not sure if it has built-in Flash capabilities, but I never had to download it. Even for games on Kongregate and Newgrounds and such. 

yay less dependcy on flash, not that i don't like adobe or anything but...flash is annoying 

I re-installed Windows 7 on my machine six months ago. After I did so, I did not install Flash Player, and instead just downloaded Google Chrome. I am not sure if it has built-in Flash capabilities, but I never had to download it. Even for games on Kongregate and Newgrounds and such. 

chrome has built in flash

while using the html, i can only view videos in 720p max. i was using an extension to block html so i could watch in 4k

I don't have that issue at all....

866bcfe73f.jpg

COMIC SANS

This is only a problem if you have a slow/unstable connection though

idk ifts me or not i just buffered linuses video in 4k no problem has the switch no been flipped yet? or is dash now including buffering?

Right, I said "If you use an extension to disable DASH, you can't play anything higher than 720p video."

Aaahhhh, my bad. I completely misread that. Woops...........

>_>

COMIC SANS

It works without any problems for me as well. The only problem for me is that Chrome's pepperflash, and HTML5 cant output to 5.1 speakers (i know youtube is stereo) while with the standalone flash you can. (in chrome://plugins disable pepperflash)

zX6zASe.jpg

Considering Firefox doesn't have support for Media Source Extensions and VP9 video codec, forcing HTML5 on Firefox is just another fuck you from Google to Firefox. But then again it is Mozilla's fault so I can't call this a huge dick move.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't have that issue at all....

-snip-

post-145442-0-69420000-1422399137_thumb.

i can only go up to 720p

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

-snip-

i can only go up to 720p

That's lame. if you're running an extension for YouTube, then that may be the issue, but if not, I'm not sure what to tell you.

:/

COMIC SANS

It works without any problems for me as well. The only problem for me is that Chrome's pepperflash, and HTML5 cant output to 5.1 speakers (i know youtube is stereo) while with the standalone flash you can. (in chrome://plugins disable pepperflash)

zX6zASe.jpg

5.1 works on FF though

atleast for me

That explains why I had to pull the plug on youtube center since I didn't want to just have 720p videos. Really sucks though since I liked being able to preload entire videos.

Finally, I won't have that message pop up saying  need to install flash, right before the video switches to HTML and begins playing. I stopped using flash months ago due to the amount of potential security issues.

Considering Firefox doesn't have support for Media Source Extensions and VP9 video codec, forcing HTML5 on Firefox is just another fuck you from Google to Firefox. But then again it is Mozilla's fault so I can't call this a huge dick move.

I use Firefox without Flash Player, and I have no issues watching Youtube Videos. And come on, this has been going on for 5 years, with Google implementing it fully. BTW, Mozilla isn't in charge of Youtube, so how is it their fault?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5.1 works on FF though

atleast for me

That's because it uses the non-chrome standalone flash. At least the last time i checked i didnt have 5.1 with HTML5.

That explains why I had to pull the plug on youtube center since I didn't want to just have 720p videos. Really sucks though since I liked being able to preload entire videos.

That's what I originally wanted it for. I'd load up a 30 minute Let's Play video, take my laptop into the kitchen where my wi-fi doesn't reach as well and watch it while I cook.