"questionable" Cherry MX quality

Acerpwns

so less than 2 weeks a go i bought my first mechanical keyboard, the CM Storm Mech. i love it i think it looks great and the wrist rest is superb imo. i went with cherry mx switches because i kept hearing for months and months on end that they have the best mechanical switch. today the number 4 key on my num pad just wrecked itself. it went from going click click tonk to crrrrrack tonk (just imagine the sounds lmao). im 99% sure i was just unlucky and got one with a faulty key and its like 1 in a million. do YOU think Cherry MX is as good as people praise them to be?

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

Yes, from owning 4 Cherry MX based keyboards, i think they're as good as people hype them to be. In fact, I think they're one of the only things that live up to their hype.

You just seem to be unlucky. Maybe you even could have gotten something in it. Have you tried relubing the key or contacting Cooler Master?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

yes  cherry switches are amazing but CM storm tech is So so. But it sounds like  your just unlucky.

Never had any problems either. Maybe you got some dirt in yours, try blasting it with canned air while pressing it (with the keycap off, obviously)

Yes, from owning 4 Cherry MX based keyboards, i think they're as good as people hype them to be. In fact, I think they're one of the only things that live up to their hype.

You just seem to be unlucky. Maybe you even could have gotten something in it. Have you tried relubing the key or contacting Cooler Master?

yeah i just figured i was unlucky, i will still stick with Cherry MX until i actually have a valid reason. i doubt something went in it since i keep my keycaps on unless we happened to be in the universe where something DOES go in it. i took it back to my local shop and requested an RMA. im stuck with an old PS/2 Logitech membrane for a few days *cringe*

420TH POSST JUST BLAAAAZZZEEE

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

probably just coolermaster, havent had problems with my k70 switches

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

arent cherry MX switches cherry MX for every keyboard? unless youre talking about the RGB switches

arent cherry MX switches cherry MX for every keyboard? unless youre talking about the RGB switches

Cherry themselves makes all of the switches used on Cherry MX boards. But CM storm, Corsair etc actually build the board.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

do YOU think Cherry MX is as good as people praise them to be?

After having 28 Kailh switches fail and no failures on my CM rapid or K70, yes. You could have a fluke, there will always be a chance for failure, but Cherry MX is one of the more reliable switches.

Cherry themselves makes all of the switches used on Cherry MX boards. But CM storm, Corsair etc actually build the board.

that was kinda my point :P

After having 28 Kailh switches fail and no failures on my CM rapid or K70, yes. You could have a fluke, there will always be a chance for failure, but Cherry MX is one of the more reliable switches.

yeah i highly doubt the 60 mil presses on Kailh switches are marketing BS (or just really inconsistant fabrication of the switches)

Well cherry makes so many switches there's going to be the odd one that breaks.

Having used a Kalih switch Razer BWU for a day and then returning it for a K70 with reds, yes. Cherry is best.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I dont have the exprence with mechanicals as alot but im on my second one I have yet to have an issue, I had a very mild one with my older razer blackwidow where it felt like the spacebar stabilizer came loose, but upon gabbing the key it was fine, ive never had a switch issue and i think I used that razer for 2/3 years.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Do think they're as good as people make them out to be? No. People make out that cherry switches are god like. That doesn't mean I hate them though, cherry switches are very good. I wouldn't say that the quality is questionable though. I'm pretty sure they test every switch before it goes out. You were just unlucky.