LG.Display Working on 31.5" IPS Panel with 5k Resolution

snowComet

When Dell and Apple released their products with a 5K display, I was wow for a second, and then though 27" is a bit too small for a 4K display, let alone a 5K display, and hope someone will make a larger 5K display. Well, it seems LG is fulfilling my dream, according to TFT Central's report.

TFT Central reported, LG is now working on a 31.5" 5K display, having the same resolution as the 27" one, 5120x2880. If this is true, it should be the forth panel that having this resolution, after LG, Samsung and Sharp's 27" 5K panel. This panel, same as the other 5K panels, would be a IPS-type panel (AH-IPS to be exact). Also it panel could be an IGZO-type panel, according to the report, with a 14ms G2G response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, and  178 degrees of viewing angles.

Unfortunately, it seems this panel won't be in production till Q3 2015, which means we could only buy monitors with this panel as  early as around end of 2015 to early 2016. Let's hope that those monitors would feature Displayport 1.3, so that we need not to plug two cables to drive these 5K monitors.

Over the last couple of months manufacturers have been announcing a new range of 5k resolution displays in 27” sizes. The likes of Dell, Apple and HP are all releasing models with 5120 x 2880 resolution. At the moment, the main panel with this resolution and size being offered is an LG.Display LM270QQ1 panel. Samsung are also working on a PLS (IPS-type) equivalent in the 27” space (LTM270RL01) as we understand it coming soon, and Sharp also have an IGZO IPS-type panel in production (LQ270D1JG01). As far as we know, the Dell, HP and Apple 5k models announced so far will be based on LG.Display's IPS module.

LG.Display are also now working on a larger 31.5” sized panel, offering the same 5120 x 2880 resolution and based on their ever-popular AH-IPS panel technology. At the moment the full panel part number is not known, only that it will start with “LM315”. LG.Display list this panel as “Oxide” as well, suggesting this could possibly be an IGZO (Indium gallium zinc oxide) type technology they are working on. A few specs have been provided including a 14ms G2G response time (could be improved by monitor manufacturers with overdrive circuits), 1000:1 contrast ratio and 178/178 viewing angles.

More information as we get it along with news of any monitors we hear about which make use of this new panel. At the moment the production of this panel isn’t scheduled until Q3 2015 so we don’t expect any monitors to be available until the tail end of the year.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/32.htm#lg.display_5k

I just have 1 question: why is 27" too small for 4K? We want pixel density in order to counter aliasing. Once we have the pixel density of phones at a certain size, then we should start extending panel sizes as resolution increases.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I just have 1 question: why is 27" too small for 4K? We want pixel density in order to counter aliasing. Once we have the pixel density of phones at a certain size, then we should start extending panel sizes as resolution increases.

Im with you, I want a 27" 4K monitor. Everything larger than that just seems too big to me.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

It's great for gaming, but not productivity due to the terrible windows scaling. 

And preferences. 

I prefer a 40 inch 4k option, equivalent to 4 20 inch 1080p screens. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It's great for gaming, but not productivity due to the terrible windows scaling. 

And preferences. 

Agreed. I had once seen a 27" 4K monitor running windows, and since not all applications support 4K displays (or higher), in some applications text may look weird or too small..... Like in old version of photoshop texts and icons will become too small in a 4K display...

I would love to buy Philips 4K monitor as well, but it didn't launched in my area. If I buy it from other countries and shipped it backto me, I would not have warranty. I'm struggling on whether I should buy Philips 4K monitor, or Sony's new 43" 4K tv....

And preferences. 

Productivity in Windows? PFFFT FreeBSD and Linux or bust.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hopefully we'll have a display connector out by then that can drive 5k 60FPS

Productivity in Windows? PFFFT FreeBSD and Linux or bust.

Visual Studio master race

31.5" r u kidding thats waay to big -_- what do they think we have all the room in the world and want a giant desk?

Hopefully we'll have a display connector out by then that can drive 5k 60FPS

Visual Studio master race

One of the least efficient development environments ever. Even Eclipse with a few plugins is better.

31.5" r u kidding thats waay to big -_- what do they think we have all the room in the world and want a giant desk?

It's not that big, and for those who are paying this much for a monitor better drop some cash into a larger desk as well. Linus uses a 34" monitor as his daily driver and it's not that huge.

10903172_777734092307488_1145245623_n.jp

It's not that big, and for those who are paying this much for a monitor better drop some cash into a larger desk as well. Linus uses a 34" monitor as his daily driver and it's not that huge.

Yea i know for a single sorry i should of specified if u wanted 2 or 3 its a bit big especially if u have more stuff aswell i have trouble fitting a 24" and a 22" on my 1.5m desk. But as people have already said the ppi on a 31.5" isnt going to be great either thats almost the same as a 4k at 24".

Im with you, I want a 27" 4K monitor. Everything larger than that just seems too big to me.

I want more 24" 4k monitors... :( I don't have a lot of desk space 

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I want more 24" 4k monitors... :( I don't have a lot of desk space 

Now that is pixel density lol. If windows did a better job as scaling, I would be right there with you.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Now that is pixel density lol. If windows did a better job as scaling, I would be right there with you.

Maybe someday it'll get there... 

Oh dear GabeN, please bless us with good scaling!

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Um this is not talking about 4k it's talking about 5k.

1 Timothy 1:15

unless it is 21:9 right? 

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

unless it is 21:9 right? 

Nah, I'm really not into the 21:9 kick. I would rather just use multiple 16:9 monitors.

14ms is the deal breakker. 4-5ms break the deal as well for me.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Nah, I'm really not into the 21:9 kick. I would rather just use multiple 16:9 monitors.

each to his own. :)

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

31.5" sounds like a perfect size, I love 27" but I could happily have something slightly larger if it was 4/5k

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii