Is my CPU running hot?

Hi guys,

I recently noticed that my PC is having trouble doing basic tasks, and that my APU keeps getting maxed for tasks as easy as opening Opera, and sometimes 720p videos lag... I checked my CPU temperature on speccy and hwmonitor, and they are the same. Here is a HWMonitor/overdrive snapshot:

post-136932-0-16625300-1421011866_thumb.

These are my PC specs:

post-136932-0-19953900-1421011864.png

I haven't done any overclocking, AMD OverDrive is there just to show the temperature. I recently updated my motherboard, and I loaded the optimized settings. Also, read on a few places that under full load it shouldn't be getting any hotter than about 75c. Is that true, and if not how do I fix my issue. 

PS: I'm using the stock cooler.

You are running waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hot.

Reseat the cooler and reapply thermal paste properly

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Woah, I hope I haven't damaged my CPU :(

Under idle it goes from 65c to 75c.

I won't do any demanding tasks untill I fix the cooling issue.

Thanks for all the feedback :)

My CPU won't just die, right? Will it underclock itself or shutdown the PC if it gets too hot? 

AMDs FM2 temp sensors are plain BROKEN. Do not panic yet.

The best way is to leave your UEFI open for 10 minutes and check the CPU temp reading reported in the UEFI.

AMDs FM2 temp sensors are plain BROKEN. Do not panic yet.

The best way is to leave your UEFI open for 10 minutes and check the CPU temp reading reported in the UEFI.

^ This!!!

On most AMD boards the temperature sensors don't work correctly at all so don't worry that much. Just get a nice budget aftermarket cooler and MX-4 thermal compound for your own peace of mind and call it a day. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Try coretemp , its the most accurate software i have used.

I left Core Temp on for a few minutes, and all I'm getting is a 0 :|

post-136932-0-22257700-1421017882.png

I'm gonna try the UEFI test that 

harrynowl

mentioned, and I will post the results when done.

AMDs FM2 temp sensors are plain BROKEN. Do not panic yet.

I kept the UEFI open for 10 minutes. After a restart the temperature was 55c, it quickly rose to 64, after about 6 minutes it reached a stable 66, and stayed there till the end of the test.

post-136932-0-15650900-1421019239_thumb.

That just seems way too hot for idle.

Definitely try reseating the cooler.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

^ This!!!

On most AMD boards the temperature sensors don't work correctly at all so don't worry that much. Just get a nice budget aftermarket cooler and MX-4 thermal compound for your own peace of mind and call it a day. 

Thanks for the advice.

Is there any way for me to find out for sure thats its the temperature sensors that are at fault, and not my CPU?

I kept the UEFI open for 10 minutes. After a restart the temperature was 55c, it quickly rose to 64, after about 6 minutes it reached a stable 66, and stayed there till the end of the test.

That's within limit, but still a bit on the hotter side. As a I said before, buy a nice budget aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/Evo and some MX-4 thermal compund and enjoy your processor. You will be even able to do some overclocking on that thing. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

That just seems way too hot for idle.

Definitely try reseating the cooler.  

I will definitely reseat the cooler, and reapply the thermal paste. I'm still not sure if my motherboard is giving me the wrong temperature readings, cos if the readings are correct I think I will have to buy a new aftermarket cooler.

That's within limit, but still a bit on the hotter side. As a I said before, buy a nice budget aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/Evo and some MX-4 thermal compund and enjoy your processor. You will be even able to do some overclocking on that thing. 

I'm guessing that the measurements that UEFI gave me were somewhat correct. Did the other software give me false readings? I'm thinking yes, cos I just found out about the temperature. It could have been an issue for some time now, and if so, the readings are really high and could/should have really damaged my CPU by now.

If you take off your cooler, does the APU feel hot? Like burn your hand hot?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you take off your cooler, does the APU feel hot? Like burn your hand hot?

Sorry, I don't feel like touching something that has the potential to burn my hand. The cooler doesn't appear to be spinning that fast, and even after I set the fan speed in the uefi to the fastest, it still kinda felt the same, and the readings remained the same. As for the air around the fan, it feels just a little warm. Doesn't seem like something really hot is being cooled down.

Here is a picture of my cooler:

post-136932-0-28474700-1421021090_thumb.

Looks average enough.... Should be able to keep a non-overclocked APU cool right?

PS: I will buy a better cooler, and get thermal paste. The only thing that troubles me is the the truthfulness of the readings given by the temperature sensor/software I used.

I'm guessing that the measurements that UEFI gave me were somewhat correct. Did the other software give me false readings? I'm thinking yes, cos I just found out about the temperature. It could have been an issue for some time now, and if so, the readings are really high and could/should have really damaged my CPU by now.

The other software gave you the wrong readings. I have experienced this issue myself before when I used to have a Phenom II 5 years ago and that was even on a very high end 890FX ROG board. Your CPU is fine, but it's still running a bit hotter than what it is supposed to. 

The other software gave you the wrong readings. I have experienced this issue myself before when I used to have a Phenom II 5 years ago and that was even on a very high end 890FX ROG board. Your CPU is fine, but it's still running a bit hotter than what it is supposed to. 

Thanks for all your help :)

Clean up that nest of wires! Geez!

I would clean off the old thermal paste, and apply a new amount.

Can you get a picture of the ENTIRE inside of the PC?

Given that thereis no exhaust fan at the back if the case, it doesn't look lie the computer has very good air ventulation.

(The "Made In China" sticker on the power supply doesnt help either)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Clean up that nest of wires! Geez!

I would clean off the old thermal paste, and apply a new amount.

Can you get a picture of the ENTIRE inside of the PC?

Given that thereis no exhaust fan at the back if the case, it doesn't look lie the computer has very good air ventulation.

(The "Made In China" sticker on the power supply doesnt help either)

Here are a few pictures:

http://1drv.ms/1tYkWtA

The power supply doesn't get hot. Well, it does a little when the GPU is used. My brother's 400W power supply gets extremely hot (probably cos of the Sapphire HD 4850 graphics). Compared to his power supply, mine runs like a refrigerator.

The wall behind the case doesn't get hot either. The inside of the case is not that hot.

My dear god...

Why do you have a "500W"...thing?

That thing isn't even a real 500W unit. It has 18A on the +12v rail. That is more like a REALISTIC 220W / 250W.

Seeing you need molex adaptars for your Hard Drive / Disk Drive / Graphics card, I actually fear for YOUR SAFETY.

It looks like your computer case only has one system fan location -- that unused spot at the rear. Not good. No airflow in that computer

65*C for the motherboard is also not a good sign. I don't think I've seen a motherboard, itself, reach temperatures that high -- not even when using a ton of voltage for overclocking.

What are your temperatures like with the side panel OFF?

Looks like we are dealing with much more than one problem here...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

My dear god...

Why do you have a "500W"...thing?

That thing isn't even a real 500W unit. It has 18A on the +12v rail. That is more like a REALISTIC 220W / 250W.

Seeing you need molex adaptars for your Hard Drive / Disk Drive / Graphics card, I actually fear for YOUR SAFETY.

It looks like your computer case only has one system fan location -- that unused spot at the rear. Not good. No airflow in that computer

65*C for the motherboard is also not a good sign. I don't think I've seen a motherboard, itself, reach temperatures that high -- not even when using a ton of voltage for overclocking.

What are your temperatures like with the side panel OFF?

Looks like we are dealing with much more than one problem here...

70c average when my case is open. No noticeable change.

Sorry for the late reply. I had to get some sleep in order to get up for school, and not sleep there.

As rascal says, this is still a problem. Your case and mobo temps are way too high. Are there any fans in the case itself or is it just a CPU and GPU fan?

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W