Is my CPU running hot?

VortexS, on 12 Jan 2015 - 4:19 PM, said:

As rascal says, this is still a problem. Your case and mobo temps are way too high. Are there any fans in the case itself or is it just a CPU and GPU fan?

CPU and GPU fans are the only ones there. I have 2 places on which i can place fans. One is on the case cover, and the other one is visible on the picture.

CPU and GPU fans are the only ones there. I have 2 places on which i can place fans. One is on the case cover, and the other one is visible on the picture.

I suggest putting one in the back. Also you should reapply thermal past and personally I'd buy a new cpu cooler if I were you. The one on it now is pretty bad.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

I suggest putting one in the back. Also you should reapply thermal past and personally I'd buy a new cpu cooler if I were you. The one on it now is pretty bad.

Thanks for the advice.

A quick question. What does the yellow highlighted temperature represent?

post-136932-0-07177000-1421080671_thumb.

That's the CPU temperature your motherboard sensors detect. I am very confused right now since literally every way to monitor your temps suggest a different temperature. But I'd assume the values in the BIOS are the most reliable.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

That's the CPU temperature your motherboard sensors detect. I am very confused right now since literally every way to monitor your temps suggest a different temperature. But I'd assume the values in the BIOS are the most reliable.

Yeah, the BIOS values probably are true, but sadly there is no way for me to put the CPU on full load in the BIOS, so there is no way for me to know what the real temperature is when my CPU is under full load.

May be the CPU socket.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yeah, the BIOS values probably are true, but sadly there is no way for me to put the CPU on full load in the BIOS, so there is no way for me to know what the real temperature is when my CPU is under full load.

Not that I know of, but your idle temps are too high anyway so you need to do something.

Not that I know of, but your idle temps are too high anyway so you need to do something.

I will buy an extra cooler just in case :)

Check if the fan on your cooler is connected to the CPU fan header and not any of the case headers. At temps that high, the fan should be spinning hard and louder than a jet engine.

Check if the fan on your cooler is connected to the CPU fan header and not any of the case headers. At temps that high, the fan should be spinning hard and louder than a jet engine.

The CPU fan is indeed connected to the CPU fan header. I spoke to an IT professor at my university today, and he told me that at temperatures of 100c my CPU should be long dead. In fact, he also mentioned that if my CPU was to reach higher temperatures then 80c, my PC could start shutting down or restarting, so now I am convinced that the temperature sensors aren't working.

The fact remains, that the inside of my case is still hot, and I might need to add another fan in there, and change the CPU thermal paste.

a few advice...

1. get some rubber feet/pads from local shop and stick it on the bottom of your case... gives air easier flow into the case

2, get a few more case fans... the fan on the rear of case should be exhaust, the one on the cover can be intake and if possible under your hard drive bay add another intake fan... using rubber pads and cable ties you can ghetto rig a fan if there are no mount points there

and given that your motherboard  is also that hot, i assume you live in a very hot place

a few advice...

1. get some rubber feet/pads from local shop and stick it on the bottom of your case... gives air easier flow into the case

2, get a few more case fans... the fan on the rear of case should be exhaust, the one on the cover can be intake and if possible under your hard drive bay add another intake fan... using rubber pads and cable ties you can ghetto rig a fan if there are no mount points there

and given that your motherboard  is also that hot, i assume you live in a very hot place

My case is 2m away from a radiator, and the radiator is really warm (not facing the case directly btw)... Its snowing outside, and yet the inside of my home feels like summer.

I will definitely buy some more fans. Thanks for the advice.

PS: I only have two case fan headers. Is there really a need for a HDD fan?

My case is 2m away from a radiator, and the radiator is really warm... Its snowing outside, and yet the inside of my home feels like summer.

I will definitely buy some more fans. Thanks for the advice.

PS: I only have two case fan headers. Is there really a need for a HDD fan?

the fan around the hdd area(the holes under your HDD area) is meant as an active way to draw cool air in

which helps promote better airflow

but thats up to you and you can always get/make a splitter cable for your fans...

the exhaust fan is a must though