Sony hack leaked thousands of Social Security numbers, celebrity data

XTankSlayerX

B4EMoaDIcAEeWMH.jpg

ITs unconfimed if N Korea is behind this, But they picture was posted by @Jerakl

3f84d719e8.jpg

The security breach suffered by Sony Pictures Entertainment last month appears to have leaked far more personal information than previously believed, revealing the Social Security numbers of more than 47,000 celebrities, freelancers, and current and former Sony employees.

An analysis of 33,000 leaked SPE documents by data security software firm Identity Finder found the leaked files included the personal information, salaries, and home addresses for employees and freelancers who worked at the studio. Some of the celebrities include Sylvester Stallone, director Judd Apatow and Australian actress Rebel Wilson, according to the Wall Street Journal, which first reported on the analysis.

Sony is going to probably get sued. This isn't helping their hopes of still being here in   20 years. They need to step up the security of their stuff and not have a poodle as a guard dog.

Other data identified as leaked to file-sharing networks after the breach include contracts, termination dates, termination reason, and other sensitive information, nearly all of which was stored in Microsoft Excel files without password protection, said Identity Finder CEO Todd Feinman.

SPE representatives did not respond to a request for comment.

The leak highlights the risk posed to large companies and organizations that store customer and employee information on computers attached to the Internet, Feinman said.

"This is a common theme of corporations today," Feinman told CNET, ticking off a list of recent security breach victims including Target, Home Depot and PF Changs. "They think they are protected by firewalls and perimeter security, but the border is becoming blurred, and attacks get through."

Identity Finder said it discovered more than 1.1 million SSNs in the files, but that many were duplicates. Sony Entertainment co-chair Amy Pascal's Social Security number was found in 104 separate locations, while Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton's was found in 93 files.

You would think that these "Mega corporations" would have the security of Area 51, But apparently that's not the case. This is why you can never be too careful.

"When you have multiple copies of this data, you are giving hackers multiple opportunities to steal sensitive information when they get through," he said. "If Sony had reduced its sensitive data footprint by reducing the number of copies of data and reducing the number of employees with access to the data, we would have seen zero or only one file."

The revelation amplifies the damage caused by the hack, which forced the film and TV arm of Japanese tech and media conglomerate Sony to shut down its network for more than a week. A hacking group calling itself Guardians of Peace claimed last week to have obtained Sony Pictures' internal data, including its "secrets," and said it would release the data to the public if its demands were not met, according to reports. It is unclear what the hacker group demanded.

Following this declaration, packs of files allegedly belonging to Sony Pictures found their way online. Data including passwords, Outlook mailboxes, personal employee data and copies of passports belonging to both actors and crews working on film projects have been released.

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-hack-said-to-leak-47000-social-security-numbers-celebrity-data/

I do remember seeing things about Sony's hack leaking movie release dates but not important info like this.

I don't really have much to say, other than: Sony. Step up your game or you're going to have more problems like these. Only difference being they'll be bigger.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Long live Kim Jong Un! 

/s

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Wonder if GOP is the reason for this.

Sony, step your security up.. You really need it.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I would hate to be an employee at Sony right about now.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

edited

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

....employee SSN's, or customer? If you have to give up your SSN to be on...whatever play station live is then fuck that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Social insecurity numbers*

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Wonder if GOP is the reason for this.

Sony, step your security up.. You really need it.

The reason should be for them to upgrade there security its terrible!

Op they didn't just leak movie dates they released the actual movies.

....employee SSN's, or customer? If you have to give up your SSN to be on...whatever play station live is then fuck that.

No, I have multiple PSN accounts and last time I checked you didn't need a SSN to make your account LOL

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

B4EMoaDIcAEeWMH.jpg

@XTankSlayerX

This image is 60000000000000* better then the one you have :P

Uhhhhhh.... Kay...

read now. accidentally posted it without meaning to.

If they stored their passwords like that, then they deserved to be hacked.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

You'd have thought they learned after last time, seriously.