IHS Removal Naked-Ivy EK Supremacy

Hello,

after removing the IHS of my 3770k and mounting the EK Supremacy waterblock with the naked-ivy add-on kit, I decided to do a little tutorial video to show how to do that.

Language is German, but there are English subtitles.

As requested, temp results:

Intel core i7-3770k overclocked to 4.5 GHz @1.25V

- with IHS (H100 with 2 x Noiseblocker eloop @=1000rpm): idle - 54°C average, load - 87°C average  

- without IHS (custom loop with EK Supremacy) : idle - 27°C average, load - 64°C average

The temperature difference might be even bigger, because I switched from an AIO unit to a custom loop, but in the end I got about a 25°C improvement. 

As I dont have a particularly great CPU, I can only push it to 4.7 GHz without passing 1.4V. To prevent degradation, I went with 4.6 GHz @ 1.35V as a 24/7 overclock (27°C idle, 69°C load), especially considering high ambient temperatures in summer of around 30°C.

60708411.png

The maximum core voltage while still remaining under an 80°C average under load is 1.46V, on  which my 3770k can achieve 4.848 GHz (48 x 101 MHz) for 30 minutes stress testing stable. 

Stress testing was done with 30 minutes of OCCT avx compatible linpack mode, all temperatures corrected to 20°C ambient.

Screenshots possibly coming soon.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

One of the best delidding videos I've seen.

I doubt there is a temp difference between using the ihs and not using it (post delid). Either way, I bet your temps are gut.

whats the point of deliding a cpu??

Mainly to lowered cpu temp.

whats the point of deliding a cpu??

Well first you can only do it to certain CPU's but with that being said Intel for the Ivy bridge generation used cheap thermal compound between the silicon and IHS and then on top of that epoxied the IHS to the CPU PCB so there is more space between the silicon and IHS, all of this creates very poor heat dissipation. If you remove the IHS (delidding) you can clean off the epoxy creating the gap and remove/reapply better thermal compound and have WAYYYYY better temps which will allow for longer lifespam of CPU or allow way higher overclocking to be achieved.

You MUST post the results of temps haha

done.

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

done.

Awesome, I  bet you could get it to 4.7ghz at 1.35v with some super super fine tuning.

I just have to say that was a super quality video and your info on temps was complete and very informative, amazing job man.

Well first you can only do it to certain CPU's but with that being said Intel for the Ivy bridge generation used cheap thermal compound between the silicon and IHS and then on top of that epoxied the IHS to the CPU PCB so there is more space between the silicon and IHS, all of this creates very poor heat dissipation. If you remove the IHS (delidding) you can clean off the epoxy creating the gap and remove/reapply better thermal compound and have WAYYYYY better temps which will allow for longer lifespam of CPU or allow way higher overclocking to be achieved.

oh thanks...but i assume you need a special cpu cooler (mounting mech)

oh thanks...but i assume you need a special cpu cooler (mounting mech)

Not if you put the IHS back on then you can use any cooler you normally would but if you leave the IHS off like skull did then yes you need special cooler/mounting hardware.

Not if you put the IHS back on then you can use any cooler you normally would but if you leave the IHS off like skull did then yes you need special cooler/mounting hardware.

why dont we see more people deliding their cpu? i mean if its such a large decrease in temps!

why dont we see more people deliding their cpu? i mean if its such a large decrease in temps!

A lot of people do delid their ivy bridge cpu's (see this forum thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club) you just don't hear about it alot on LTT because there are alot of new people to PC building here, also like I said you can't do it with every CPU because some generations are soldered like sandy bridge was. Also there is a very high chance of ruining your CPU if you don't do your research and practice and shit.

Alot of people are wary of deliding, just in case the screw it up and damage the CPU, plenty of other reasons aswell..

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

you cut into your 300 dollar cpu with a razorblade, thats why...

I doubt there is a temp difference between using the ihs and not using it (post delid). Either way, I bet your temps are gut.

Of course there is a temp difference. The IHS is adds two more barriers for the heat to pass through.

With IHS:      CPU --> TIM --> IHS --> TIM --> water block

Without IHS: CPU --> TIM --> water block

This is basic thermodynamics.

Nice to see yours worked out so well! When I did mine, I damaged the memory controller. Now, I can only use one of the two dimm slots on my mini-itx motherboard :/

here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fzhVt0TrVc

Nice to see yours worked out so well! When I did mine, I damaged the memory controller. Now, I can only use one of the two dimm slots on my mini-itx motherboard :/

here's mine:

Do you know when you damaged the memory controller? Like while you were removing the IHS or if you installed water block to tightly?

Could you specify your custom loop? How many radiators? What thickness? etc.

Do you know when you damaged the memory controller? Like while you were removing the IHS or if you installed water block to tightly?

I have absolutely no idea.. the chip looks perfectly fine, as if there is no damage at all. But the tiniest scratch/crack is enough to break the whole thing, of course.

Could you specify your custom loop? How many radiators? What thickness? etc.

You can find all the information in my build log

To sum it up, one BlackIce GTX 240 and one BlackIce GTX 360 (both 54mm thick) with Phobya NB eloop fans @1000kai rpm

Dual D5 pumps

3/8" tubing

It is laid out for an upgrade with two watercooled 780s in a few weeks.

Hello,

after removing the IHS of my 3770k and mounting the EK Supremacy waterblock with the naked-ivy add-on kit, I decided to do a little tutorial video to show how to do that.

Language is German, but there are English subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PCrbeYsiJg

Dear god, that is way too much TIM.

You can find all the information in my build log

To sum it up, one BlackIce GTX 240 and one BlackIce GTX 360 (both 54mm thick) with Phobya NB eloop fans @1000kai rpm

Dual D5 pumps

3/8" tubing

It is laid out for an upgrade with two watercooled 780s in a few weeks.

Nice loop! Eager to see how the GTX780s will react to water cooling (with boost 2.0)

Dear god, that is way too much TIM.

I dont think so. To mount a cooler normally, I would agree with you, as the heat is only produced in the middle of the cpu.

With the ihs removed and only the dye left, heat is produced everywhere where the cooler is touching the cpu. I did spread the tim out very carefully and evenly, even if it might not look that way in the video. It is only a thin, even layer interfacing with the whole top of the dye.

Sometimes less is more, but I guess not in this case.

Nice loop! Eager to see how the GTX780s will react to water cooling (with boost 2.0)

Even on air the one 780 utilizes the full overvolting range of EVGA PrecisionX already while still remaining resonable cool and quiet. You can check out the overclock here.

I am hoping to reach a 24/7 stable 1300 MHz on water.

I dont think so. To mount a cooler normally, I would agree with you, as the heat is only produced in the middle of the cpu.

With the ihs removed and only the dye left, heat is produced everywhere where the cooler is touching the cpu. I did spread the tim out very carefully and evenly, even if it might not look that way in the video. It is only a thin, even layer interfacing with the whole top of the dye.

Sometimes less is more, but I guess not in this case.

you need a thin line down the IHS, not the ton of paste that was poured on in the video. Unless the camera angle is just decieving me.