IHS Removal Naked-Ivy EK Supremacy

Also, you might want to use Coollaboratory liquid ultra. With such a small surface area, that's probably going to make a significant difference in temperature.

Also, you might want to use Coollaboratory liquid ultra. With such a small surface area, that's probably going to make a significant difference in temperature.

I'd stay away from anything that attaches (semi-)permanently to the die... it's rather fragile.

I'd stay away from anything that attaches (semi-)permanently to the die... it's rather fragile.

I don't think CLU tends to permanently attach itself to the die. From what I have heard, it comes off somewhat easily, especially when it's warm.

Some say CLP is easier to remove. At least that's what I read when I was thinking about delidding my CPU.

I would only use that stuff, if I were to reuse the IHS. Otherwise it might damage the coldplate or the dye

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I delidded my 3770k and it was the best decision I ever made.

I spend over $1000 on my watercooling loop at was still hitting 85+ degrees on my cores with a 4.2ghz and a minor voltage increase (around 1.25volts from memory)

After delid, 4.6ghz, 1.344volts max temp around 65degrees on the core.

post-28719-0-42496100-1370605172.jpg

Phenomenal improvement!

post-28719-0-42496100-1370605172.jpg

I have absolutely no idea.. the chip looks perfectly fine, as if there is no damage at all. But the tiniest scratch/crack is enough to break the whole thing, of course.

Do you think it happened because your blade was too thick and stiff?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

That blade is about as thin as it gets... Could be, though. Don't know

have you tried cleaning the pin contact points on the bottom with iso-propyl alcohol ?

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I don't think CLU tends to permanently attach itself to the die. From what I have heard, it comes off somewhat easily, especially when it's warm.

are there any test results / concrete performace numbers ?

are there any test results / concrete performace numbers ?

I don't have any; I've just heard people discussing it.

That was freshly on the IHS

• 1 month later...

... When I did mine, I damaged the memory controller. Now, I can only use one of the two dimm slots on my mini-itx motherboard :/

Maybe it's too late to comment on that now (just bumped into this thread), but ... just for the record.

Have you tried to loosen up the cooler mounting a bit? I had a similar problem - from fully working system to "no memory installed" post error after de-lidding my Ivy, so I suspected the EK Supremacy water block was pressing the CPU too hard, and ... luckily I was right. After relaxing the mounting gear a bit, the CPU and the board came up and everything was fine again.

Great vid and discussion.  I'm looking to do this to my setup very soon.  

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Guess you could call delidding "hacking" :D lol  

Guess you could call delidding "hacking" :D lol  

I wish i lived near you so you could do my 3570k. I can't get the nerve to do mine....damnit!

I wish i lived near you so you could do my 3570k. I can't get the nerve to do mine....damnit!

Shipping?!, I would love to do yours as well. Depends, whether 30°C lower temps are worth you the cost..

Insured shipping from germany to caribbean (for example Bahamas) would cost 16,90€ (~20 USD). Dont know what it would cost the other way round...

Shipping?!, I would love to do yours as well. Depends, whether 30°C lower temps are worth you the cost..

Insured shipping from germany to caribbean (for example Bahamas) would cost 16,90€ (~20 USD). Dont know what it would cost the other way round...

Is ti really a whole 30°C you got? I currently idle at 29°C and 56°C @4.4ghz with 1.168v. I would like to be there though. The razor blade thing is just not looking safe to me and the one with putting the CPU in a vise and using a piece of wood and a hammer to knock off the IHS is looking a bit better to me.

Is ti really a whole 30°C you got? I currently idle at 29°C and 56°C @4.4ghz with 1.168v. I would like to be there though. The razor blade thing is just not looking safe to me and the one with putting the CPU in a vise and using a piece of wood and a hammer to knock off the IHS is looking a bit better to me.

Hello,

after removing the IHS of my 3770k and mounting the EK Supremacy waterblock with the naked-ivy add-on kit, I decided to do a little tutorial video to show how to do that.

Language is German, but there are English subtitles.

As requested, temp results:

Intel core i7-3770k overclocked to 4.5 GHz @1.25V

- with IHS (H100 with 2 x Noiseblocker eloop @=1000rpm): idle - 54°C average, load - 87°C average  

- without IHS (custom loop with EK Supremacy) : idle - 27°C average, load - 64°C average

The temperature difference might be even bigger, because I switched from an AIO unit to a custom loop, but in the end I got about a 25°C improvement. 

As I dont have a particularly great CPU, I can only push it to 4.7 GHz without passing 1.4V. To prevent degradation, I went with 4.6 GHz @ 1.35V as a 24/7 overclock (27°C idle, 69°C load), especially considering high ambient temperatures in summer of around 30°C.

60708411.png

The maximum core voltage while still remaining under an 80°C average under load is 1.46V, on  which my 3770k can achieve 4.848 GHz (48 x 101 MHz) for 30 minutes stress testing stable. 

Stress testing was done with 30 minutes of OCCT avx compatible linpack mode, all temperatures corrected to 20°C ambient.

Screenshots possibly coming soon.

Of course it depends on your ambient, but I'd say at that oc youare going to be under 40°C at least. 

The thing with the razor blade method is that you can do it very patiently and sensetively, the hammer method seems a lot more "all or nothing" to me. 

Maybe it's too late to comment on that now (just bumped into this thread), but ... just for the record.

Have you tried to loosen up the cooler mounting a bit? I had a similar problem - from fully working system to "no memory installed" post error after de-lidding my Ivy, so I suspected the EK Supremacy water block was pressing the CPU too hard, and ... luckily I was right. After relaxing the mounting gear a bit, the CPU and the board came up and everything was fine again.

Will try, thanks for the tip!