"T-Mobile CEO: Don’t buy your iPad from us"

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.slashgear.com/t-mobile-ceo-dont-buy-your-ipad-from-us-27352640/

Recently it was revealed that if you bought one of the newer iPads from one of the major USA wireless carriers that it would be locked to their network. All of the carriers have been taking flack from this. Even the Uncarrier (T-Mobile) was guilty of this, but there's a reason for this. 

Today T-Mobile's CEO John Legere revealed that when Apple shipped the iPads to T-Mobile, that they pre-locked the SIMs to T-Mobile's network. So in reality, it's not really TMo's fault. So what does not Legere suggest to do? Not to buy it from them. That's right, the T-Mobile CEO himself is telling you not to buy the new iPads from them. Instead he suggests that you buy the iPads directly from the Apple store.

That's a strong move/statement from the CEO, and it will definitely be meant with some repercussions. 

"My advice to everyone - and I'll get in trouble for this: buy it from the Apple Store." - John Legere

COMIC SANS

He wat?

I <3 T-Mobile!

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Now this is interesting, it's prelocked. If AT&T had said this in the first place, they would have saved themselves from so much flak.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

There's got to be more to the story than this,  this doesn't add up.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out apple just filled the order as requested and that they didn't choose to lock them.    

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Now this is interesting, it's prelocked. If AT&T had said this in the first place, they would have saved themselves from so much flak.

It might be the xbone and ps4 thing all over, Tmobile seeing the backlash from AT&T and are doing this to circumvent the backlash they will get for doing the same.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wait, so it was APPLE who shipped the locked iPads!? That has to be a misunderstanding or a lie. As much as I dislike Apple, there's no way they're that dumb. There's just no reason for it. T-Mobile has a valid reason for locking them at least.

kewl kden

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

There's got to be more to the story than this,  this doesn't add up.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out apple just filled the order as requested and that they didn't choose to lock them.    

The way it was explained before by John Legere was that iPads purchased from T-mobile and Sprint were pre programmed (but unlocked) for those networks as if you are buying it there, then you are probably going to use that network. At&t locked the iPads with an Apple Sim no matter where you buy it. I'm confused now. 

This is why I would go with T-Mobile.....Besides their shitty coverage <_<

I'm more inclined to believe this. If this was a "mistake" by Apple, then surely they could push an update to the device, unlocking it, with basically ZERO effort.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This is why I would go with T-Mobile.....Besides their shitty coverage <_<

It's a lottery. Most people spend 80% of their time in 2-3 locations and commuting between them. I lucked out and have good coverage, happy with T-Mobile.

Though there are plently locations where AT&T and Verizon beat them.

It does sound like a publicity stunt but at least it's a good one, though I would like more info on the matter. Still wish FCC grows balls and tears carriers a new one, maybe use lube with T-MO and go raw on others.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

I'm more inclined to believe this. If this was a "mistake" by Apple, then surely they could push an update to the device, unlocking it, with basically ZERO effort.

I guess we will see where it all ends up,  My understanding was the whole point to manageable sims was to avoid this, so why would the CEO send sales elsewhere if a simple update should fix an honest mistake? 

I guess we will see where it all ends up,  My understanding was the whole point to manageable sims was to avoid this, so why would the CEO send sales elsewhere if a simple update should fix an honest mistake? 

I don't understand him sending sales elsewhere at all, unless there's some sort of commission based incentive back-room deal between him and Apple (That's a bit too conspiracy theory for me without proof though).

I'm wondering if he simply saw the backlash of AT&T, and decided "Hey, I could really capitalize on this and win some great PR!" I doubt they make much off selling the iPad's themselves anyway.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't understand him sending sales elsewhere at all, unless there's some sort of commission based incentive back-room deal between him and Apple (That's a bit too conspiracy theory for me without proof though).

I'm wondering if he simply saw the backlash of AT&T, and decided "Hey, I could really capitalize on this and win some great PR!" I doubt they make much off selling the iPad's themselves anyway.

That was my first thought. Although it still doesn't explain why he wouldn't just say it was an error resulting from ordering a completely new product and to wait until they got the sim fixed (assuming it actually can be and the programing isn't permanent).

That was my first thought. Although it still doesn't explain why he wouldn't just say it was an error resulting from ordering a completely new product and to wait until they got the sim fixed (assuming it actually can be and the programing isn't permanent).

Well, from a corporate perspective, this might indeed both be a mistake, and a "happy accident" to them.

Maybe they got sent the locked SIM by mistake, and then were like "Hmmm hey... might as well :D!"

But then, even that doesn't really make sense. Honestly this entire scenario just doesn't make sense. There's definitely more info we're not seeing.

Why is your T-Mobile so nice and ours sucks so bad?

Wanna trade?

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Yeah it doesn't add up. However in the article it says:

According to Legere, when Apple provided the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 units to the carrier, it did so having already preset the SIMs to T-Mobile. While you might think that would be preferable to Legere, in actual fact he recommends iPad buyers should walk out the door and find somewhere else to buy.

So according to him, Apple made their own SIMs for T-Mobile (a pre-programmed Apple SIM?). I don't know how they could do that but whatever. It does at least seem possible that T-Mobile had nothing to do with locking the SIMs.

I don't understand why Apple isn't pushing out an update though if this a mistake on their part. If it was T-Mobile's mistake I assume they could unlock the SIMs, right?

Someone has to be able to unlock the SIMs and I am more inclined to believe it is the people who has made no comment on the issue (Apple), rather than the people who are saying "don't buy the device from us because it is crippled" (T-Mobile).

Someone has to be able to unlock the SIMs and I am more inclined to believe it is the people who has made no comment on the issue (Apple), rather than the people who are saying "don't buy the device from us because it is crippled" (T-Mobile).

True, I guess we are going to have to wait for a comment from apple.

A ceo with some integrity.......let me just check to make sure the sky isn't on fire and it isn't raining blood.

Nope...... perhaps there is some hope for this world yet.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

John Legere is like President Reagan but better lol

That's not difficult. Reagan was terrible. He got his roaring economy from Jimmy Carter's ground work, and it's not like we had to do much to pressure the soviets given their economy was falling apart without our help. Reagan was the luckiest president, not the best. That honor falls on Adams or Kennedy.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd