are the computers at your school/college/university/work any good?

asim1999

It doesn't matter how fast the computers are, even the ones with ivy bridge i7s and Quadro K4000s that I use for CFD and CAD, they all run of the same slow-ass university network so it takes exactly the same 4hrs to boot before you can do anything.

So most of my school uses really old computers with a brick monitor running XP. But today we went to this room that teacher said was strictly for math and first thing i noticed was the computers ran Windows Server 2008 which is pretty old. Than af course like me and you would do i went in and checked the system specs and i was shocked... 32GB of RAM and Intel Xeon http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117269 .. So what the .... why is there so much RAM if we are only on a math program and not doing anything else, also the CPU is overkill.. soo much power needed for what? Its really sad because in classrooms teachers have real crappy old bricks running a Old Intel Core 2 duo on XP.. Also why is the OS So old, did they not get permission to use newer

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

I work from home, I'd say my PC's average:

4690k/Z97/GTX770/AX760/120GB SSD/2TB HDD

Most of the time, the stuff that doesn't make sense in the IT world is mainly a fault with the user's requests. Not saying the IT department isn't at fault, just something I've noticed.

does your school offer cad classes? or editing courses? it would come in handy doing that

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

It's because an intel core 2 duo is more than enough for you kids and basic programing. For the intended use a core 2 duo might be even overkill. :P
And complex math tasks can even give that Xeon some sweat, it also might be running as a server. Also Windows Server 2008 might be old but it's still good.

So most of my school uses really old computers with a brick monitor running XP. But today we went to this room that teacher said was strictly for math and first thing i noticed was the computers ran Windows Server 2008 which is pretty old. Than af course like me and you would do i went in and checked the system specs and i was shocked... 32GB of RAM and Intel Xeon http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117269 .. So what the .... why is there so much RAM if we are only on a math program and not doing anything else, also the CPU is overkill.. soo much power needed for what? Its really sad because in classrooms teachers have real crappy old bricks running a Old Intel Core 2 duo on XP.. Also why is the OS So old, did they not get permission to use newer

Windows Server 2008 is not old... in the server space. It's not a Desktop OS, and shouldn't be used as one. Most likely old servers that got replaced? Either that, or repurposed "Networking/Server" workstations?

Or your school's IT Admin is stupid?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

C2D is great

but XP needs to go :|

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It's because all the schools programs are on windows XP, and windows 7 doesn't have 100% compatibility with windows xp programs, most schools and businesses didn't upgrade because it doesn't work properly. Unlike windows 7 to 8 where 8 was just an improved version of 7, windows 7 is different from XP, which is most likely why they didn't upgrade. But many schools are moving to Mac osx or getting newer software to support windows 7, but moving platforms if expensive, so only schools with enough budget or donations do it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

a lot of school get old computers dontated to them, so that could be what happened. but holy crap thats a lot of ram for a math computer. only a tad excessive

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

steal some RAM and see if they notice

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

cuse skews r dumn.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

my school has i7 4770's with 16gbs of ram and GTX 650's

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

why is there so much RAM if we are only on a math program and not doing anything else, also the CPU is overkill.. 

Because it has to run the NSA's thought monitoring and analysis software in case any of you start getting subversive ideas.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

do it during lunch break.

least likely to be noticed then.

DO IT

MAIL ME SOME TOO

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

lol. My school has a few hundred Samsung Chromeboooks. That was a great idea. However for desktops every teacher gets a Mac and there also around 150 Macs in the library. And they use the Macs for CHECKING OUT BOOKS. OMG we fired so may good teachers because of budget cuts. If they just realized they doen't need anything Apple and it's too expensive.  

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Old ass Imacs and teachers will old ass macbooks

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

lel 1GB DDR ram? no thx

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

In the CAD lab, where I'm typing this now, these computers have 8gb of ram, intel core i5 3570s, and quadro 2000s.

Can't complain. All core i5 4th gen . 1080p ips monitors and running w7 Enterprises. There is one little thing though.... ONLY 35 MB USER STORAGE. like really......

Interested in Business and Technology

At my university, most pc's are dell or hp workstations, 8-core i7, 16GB Ram. Sadly, no dedicated videocard, i think (don't remember it correctly).

They cant have no graphics card if it's an 8 core i7 cos its X99

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

At work my computer is shit. I am not sure if the problem is the computer or because the one at home is so much faster than the "average business computer". At home I have a SSD as my OS drive, at work I don't. Pretty sure Im just used to being too fast.

Its a core2duo something at work and an i5 2500k at home.

There are alot of different pc's at the computerlabs in my UNI, But most of them have 16/32Gb ram, i7-4770K//3770/2600, and some with quadro cards and some with firepro cards, And a few with Integrated graphics.

Pretty much exactly the same as at the Uni I go to. 3770 or 4770 with Quadro cards.
12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10