Bethesda to officially support 60fps with The Evil Within on PC

It appears that Bethesa will be looking to patch issues when players set their framerate to 60fps which is great news from the developer/publisher side.  It makes sense that above 60fps they aren't going to fix anything but it would seem that the % of people playing games at over 60 is still miniscule.

More info through the jump:  http://www.pcgamer.com/the-evil-within-debug-console-commands-detailed-god-mode-is-in/

Bethesda warns of "some quirks" should you change the frame rate to 60 frames per-second. Meanwhile, if you leave the frame rate unlocked, or set it above 60, Bethesda says it won't fix any issues which may arise from playing the game at these settings.

Similarly, tweaking the aspect ratio to remove the letterboxing means certain gameplay prompts which usually appear in the black areas will not be seen

R_swapinterval <NUMBER>Sets the FPS lock. Note that the numbers below are negative.-2: This is the default, set to 30 FPS. This is the officially supported frame rate-1: This sets the FPS limit to 60. Fully playable, although there may be quirks (we’re going to fix these).0: This fully unlocks the FPS. We do not recommend playing above 60. We will not fix any issues above 60.

Just make all of these games on the superior platforms and then scale down to the shitter platforms. Instead of doing it the stupider way around.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

i never expected this from Bethesda

i just cant believe it

i understand shit tones of bugs and fly horses

but not an issue with 30+ frames

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Bethesda, I trusted you. Why would you do this to me? to us? We considered you to be one of those good Dev's that doesn't half ass everything......

WHY?!!!!!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I can't click on the article now since I'm at work (Employee of the Year 2014, ikr?) but when I glanced at that article this morning, wasn't it the same thing they said about a week ago? That they would give PC Gamers debug commands to unlock the framerate/aspect ratio, but it would likely cause problems? I don't remember reading anything in that article about a patch or a fix to these issues, so I don't know if I would consider this officially supporting 60 fps.

(Then again I skimmed this article on my tablet at 5 am, so my reading comprehension skills might've been shot)

I can't click on the article now since I'm at work (Employee of the Year 2014, ikr?) but when I glanced at that article this morning, wasn't it the same thing they said about a week ago? That they would give PC Gamers debug commands to unlock the framerate/aspect ratio, but it would likely cause problems? I don't remember reading anything in that article about a patch or a fix to these issues, so I don't know if I would consider this officially supporting 60 fps.

(Then again I skimmed this article on my tablet at 5 am, so my reading comprehension skills might've been shot)

Indeed it was announced as a 30fps title and that it'd be wonky if unlocked to 60.  However this is now Bethesda coming out and saying they will provide support for bugs using the 60fps console unlock.  60+ fps players will be left without support however.

Well rip bethesda. Guess i won't be holding my breath for fallout 4 to be a good port with full pc feature support.

Bethesda, I trusted you. Why would you do this to me? to us? We considered you to be one of those good Dev's that doesn't half ass everything......

WHY?!!!!!

I've been so busy fucking around with hundreds of Skyrim mods that I forgot Vanilla Skyrim was rather weak sauce when compared to Morrowind (though a marginal step up from unmodded Oblivion which deserves it's namesake in the annals of history) but if you look at TES history it has been going downhill quite a bit, particularly after Morrowind.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't know if that's really 'supporting' 60fps. It's more like they give the ability with hope that you don't use 60 fps.

Bethesda Softworks is the publisher, Tango Gameworks is the Developer.

Bethesda Game Studios is the Developer of the Elder Scrolls Series and Fallout 3, Obsidian Entertainment is the Developer of Fallout New Vegas.

Zenimax Online is the Developer of Elder Scrolls Online.

Just wanted to defend BGS from unfair parallels to this game.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Bethesda Game Studios is the Developer of the Elder Scrolls Series and Fallout 3, Obsidian Entertainment is the Developer of Fallout New Vegas.

Bethesda the publisher has definitely had some influence on Bethesda the game dev even on TES series, see my post about the increasingly dumbed down Elder Scrolls series: We just don't care much at all cause it's been so moddable.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That doesn't excuse the fact that they agreed to publish a game with such BS. I have a 4k monitor with 60hz so i don't need above 60 but the principle itself it sickening and stupid.

You know what the first fing thing any game programming manual says with regards to gameplay? NEVER EVER EVER TIE ANYTHING TO FRAMERATE. The fact that so many games have stuff that breaks if you unlock the framerate proves that these devs are beyond incompetent.

FFS i am working for a mobile developer right now. Due to some unfinished optimizations for the art the game ran at 30-40 fps. Guess what every freaking one said? That shit is unplayable. Made it a priority for the next build to get it up to 60 with no falls below 45. And these big ass dev studios can't get a corridor horror game to work on an unlocked fps?

Well rip bethesda. Guess i won't be holding my breath for fallout 4 to be a good port with full pc feature support.

Wasteland 2 is your new best friend :)  It basically picks up stylistically and tonally from Fallout 1/2 and loses the whole first person/VATS bollocks.  The story is properly grim some times too :(

Wasteland 2 is your new best friend :)

Nope. sorry to say but it is dissapointing. Not a bad game in of itself but it lacks so many features compared to fallout 2 and brings nothing new. I see no reason to play it over fallout 2 and fallout tactics. And believe me i tried very hard to like it.

I will give it to wasteland 2 for the story. It is good. And it has a lot of content. But the basis for that content is broken beyond repair. Maybe modders will fix it one day.

Here's what the game looks like on a 21:9 monitor after using the dev console. The game's camera is locked to the FPS so it goes silly if you mess with it. AMD Crossfire is a no go, and using AFR for crossfire results in horrible graphical flickering, artifacts, and even textures tearing.

On a single GPU the game can barely keep 30fps, and folks with GTX 780 Ti's are reporting the same. They have a lot of issues to fix. The terrible FOV causes horribly motion sickness for me as well, and I've almost never experienced that before.

The game horrendous mouse smoothing as well, and there are no option really to speak of. Even less on the graphical side.

Models are ugly and outdated looking, and the requirements actually seem accurate. The game performs horribly given how out dated it looks. Especially compared to RAGE and Wolfenstein that also both used the idTech5 engine.

UYeWoGu.jpg

CBZsMCI.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Here's what the game looks like on a 21:9 monitor after using the dev console. The game's camera is locked to the FPS so it goes silly if you mess with it. AMD Crossfire is a no go, and using AFR for crossfire results in horrible graphical flickering, artifacts, and even textures tearing.

On a single GPU the game can barely keep 30fps, and folks with GTX 780 Ti's are reporting the same. They have a lot of issues to fix. The terrible FOV causes horribly motion sickness for me as well, and I've almost never experienced that before.

UYeWoGu.jpg

CBZsMCI.png

Well guess i won't be able to run it at 4k with my crossfire setup. Great one more reason for me to not care. Thnx for the info.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I've been so busy fucking around with hundreds of Skyrim mods that I forgot Vanilla Skyrim was rather weak sauce when compared to Morrowind (though a marginal step up from unmodded Oblivion which deserves it's namesake in the annals of history) but if you look at TES history it has been going downhill quite a bit, particularly after Morrowind.

Meh, morrowind wasn't that great in my opinion. I didn't like the dice roll system that it ran on (hit miss miss miss miss miss miss) etc. Although it was fun to play besides that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why don't devs develop for variable framerate like any sane developer would do. This whole idea of tying animations and game-speed and everything else to 30 FPS framerate just doesn't even make sense.

Gameplay bugs aside, it seems Crytek and DICE have the best programmed games. What I mean by that is that they are capable of making their games adapt to the strengths of each platform without being hindered by the lowest common denominator.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Which begs the question....

If it was that easy to put it at 60fps ...why didn't you do that before Bethesda?

Intel I7 4770k 4.2ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero,16 gb Corsair Ram(1600 mhz), GTX 780 Classified, 1000w EVGA Supernova Powersupply,Corsair h100i
250 GB Samsung 840 Evo Solid State Drive(OS Drive), 120 GB Corsair Solid State Drive, 1 Terabyte Western Digital Drive
(Blue)

Why don't devs develop for variable framerate like any sane developer would do. This whole idea of tying animations and game-speed and everything else to 30 FPS framerate just doesn't even make sense.

It's something that was "fixed" in the early 2000's, although with the current weak console platforms they don't see the issue with it since it's hard enough getting over 30fps.

The entire game experience has been horrible so far. The story might be good, but it's rendered unplayable for the reason I mentioned on the previous page. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Why is this a thing? This should be expected! We sunk deep my friends. PC has become as bad as consoles. All because M$ and $ony couldn't give a fuck about building a proper gaming system that can handle 1080p 60FPS, so now they have to handicap PCs to cater to the peasants.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Nope. sorry to say but it is dissapointing. Not a bad game in of itself but it lacks so many features compared to fallout 2 and brings nothing new. I see no reason to play it over fallout 2 and fallout tactics. And believe me i tried very hard to like it.

I will give it to wasteland 2 for the story. It is good. And it has a lot of content. But the basis for that content is broken beyond repair. Maybe modders will fix it one day.

Really?  Wow.  I haven't noticed things really missing compared to Fallout 1/2 (apart from the Pipboy and lore references obviously) which I replay each once a year at least.

If anything it contains far deeper combat, larger zones and larger parties with a much better inventory system.  The incredible writing and comments are fit to the form too, much better than the Bethesda efforts which went for WHACKY and ZANY elements of the originals compared to the pitch black humor the first two titles were steeped in.

The only bugs I've encountered have been occasional CtD's in the Prison area and some squiffy animations like spinning around while getting in to cover but they just released a massive update, hoping this is all fixed.  All I really want is an SLI profile for it.