Netflix Raises The Price For Ultra HD 4K Video stream..

When 1080p HD is not enough :/

sony-84-inch-4k-uhdtv-640x297.jpg

Own an Overpriced  4K UHDTV & want to pay even more for the service? why not switch to 4K stream?

it's been a while since Netflix stated to get on the 4K bandwagon , We got quite a few shows in 4k such as Breaking Bad & House of Cards on 4K recently,Good news is that for those who've already signed up for a 4K-enabled account, it won't affect your price & it will not change until August 12th of the year 2016

blog-screencap.png

"Even if you have a 4K UHDTV, it has to be that which Netflix supports.."

But If you’re a new subscriber or a current subscriber who hasn’t already enabled 4K content, your monthly price will be $11.99 (vs the standard $8.99 that most new subscribers pay which, itself, went up from $7.99 back in May).

Thats a hike of about 33%.

Leave your thoughts & rants below , Also tell me what are your thoughts on 4K & it's pricings , do you think 4K is un-nessesary thing to go after for a premium experience..

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/11/netflix-raises-the-price-for-those-who-want-ultra-hd-video/

Details separate people.

Its still quite cheap, compaired to normal TV prices, which these days only offer complete and utter crap. Although I doubt wheter there are many people whose internet can support a constant 4k data stream. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Wow, just in time for the Australian version to be released.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

2160p is something I see being useful for a monitor I can stare at from 40cm (that's why I have one), not necessarily a tv that's 4 metres from my couch. Eventually I'll get a 4k tv too, but only when the pricing is much lower than now. I could still watch netflix on my monitor though, so this isn't great news for me...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Netflix just launched in germany and we have to pay 11,99€ for the 4k service. That's 15$! So please, calm your boobies 'muricans.

I currently pay 8,99€ for the 2-device 1080p service (11,3$)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

well, im pretty sure its to cover the bribes they need to send your ISP´s way.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Its still quite cheap, compaired to normal TV prices, which these days only offer complete and utter crap. Although I doubt wheter there are many people whose internet can support a constant 4k data stream. 

Don't worry if there is they will be sure to cap it and charge extra for it. /Comcast

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

in-response-to-hearing-about-comcast-pla

Someone needs to force these companies out of business by making a better product with better service at a better price. there's money to be made, why has no one done it yet?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Here's the extensive list of consoles that can support the new 4K streaming:

As an additional burn, here's a list of consoles that support 1080/60 gameplay:

Here's the extensive list of consoles that can support the new 4K streaming:

As an additional burn, here's a list of consoles that support 1080/60 gameplay:

You missed one: Dreamcast.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well if 4K Netflix streaming is a fourfold increase in bit rate then a 33% surcharge seems like a good deal to me. What's the bit rate of Netflix "HD" vs "4K" streams?

Edit: Looks like about double the video bit rate.

Thank you most major US ISPs. You're making things so much better for everyone!

you have to pay $50 a month for just 1080p content with comcast

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

what I don't get is why can't I watch UHD content on my pc, why dose it have to be a TV? the only reason I can think of is IF the stream was encoded in h265, and most PC can't decode it fast enough or don't have a h265 hardware decoder.

On a side note, I want a place were I can buy DRM free movies in the highest quality possible, why that dose not exists is beyond me. I don't want to have to buy a Bluray disc and rip it to get a DRM free 1080p file. also a way to pu out higher quality content then bluray, like UHD.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

This is true sadly in area I live at...

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

I would care if we had fast enough internet to stream it, but when we can't stream 1080p without waiting for it to load halfway I don't care at all

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

what I don't get is why can't I watch UHD content on my pc, why dose it have to be a TV? the only reason I can think of is IF the stream was encoded in h265, and most PC can't decode it fast enough or don't have a h265 hardware decoder.

On a side note, I want a place were I can buy DRM free movies in the highest quality possible, why that dose not exists is beyond me. I don't want to have to buy a Bluray disc and rip it to get a DRM free 1080p file. also a way to pu out higher quality content then bluray, like UHD.

It is encoded with HEVC, yes. That is why it is not supported on PC (browsers/silverlight/html5 do not support HEVC yet). The TVs you need to have to receive the 4K content have hardware HEVC decoding in their SoCs.

Stop complaining Americans, in Switzerland you pay $18.80 a month for 4K and a fraction of the content is available.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

It is encoded with HEVC, yes. That is why it is not supported on PC (browsers/silverlight/html5 do not support HEVC yet). The TVs you need to have to receive the 4K content have hardware HEVC decoding in their SoCs.

I know my 4770k can decode HEVC, I have a few UHD clips in HEVC, but it can use anywere from 50%-80% of my cpu. I just want UHD content to watch on my monitor.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Someone needs to force these companies out of business by making a better product with better service at a better price. there's money to be made, why has no one done it yet?

If only it was  that simple, the problem with creating your own ISP would be a massive barrier to entry, you would need a titanic amount of capital for the infrastructure plus the costs for all the approvals you would need then you still have to deal with the internet mafia of time warner and  comcast which will try to block you with legislation at every turn. Look at how big google is and they are still struggling with these issues.

If only it was  that simple, the problem with creating your own ISP would be a massive barrier to entry, you would need a titanic amount of capital for the infrastructure plus the costs for all the approvals you would need then you still have to deal with the internet mafia of time warner and  comcast which will try to block you with legislation at every turn. Look at how big google is and they are still struggling with these issues.

that's not true all you have to do is get the town/city your in to figure it out

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/small-alberta-town-gets-massive-1-000-mbps-broadband-boost-1.1382428

once you get the Town/city to agree its easy from there considering the town agrees to go with certian IPS or atleast thats how it goes for where im at

It's not that cheap if you consider the Grand total of 2 series available in 4k. Later on maybe but later on they might jack up the price again

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's not that cheap if you consider the Grand total of 2 series available in 4k. Later on maybe but later on they might jack up the price again

At least in my region there is the added bonus of being able to watch on for simultaneous on the 4K level of payment instead of the 2 screens on the cheaper version.

Still would pay for 4k content because its still cheaper than cable

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520