Netflix is now paying Time Warner Cable for direct access and faster streams

Victorious Secret

477385135.jpg?w=300&h=200&crop=1

Yay for double dipping ISPs, am I right? Right? Anyone? No? So we're all agreed, that stuff like this is total bullcrap. 

Time Warner Cable signed a direct interconnection deal with Netflix, making it the fourth of the big four U.S. ISPs to sign paid peering agreements with the streaming video provider. Presumably, this agreement should improve the Netflix viewing experience of Time Warner Cable’s broadband subscribers who also like to tune into Netflix fare.

Time Warner confirmed the deal happened in June and the implementation has been rolling out this month. The interconnection doesn’t come as a huge surprise given that Netflix has signed agreements with ComcastVerizon and AT&T in the last few months after fighting with the providers directly and through its transit providersLevel 3 and Cogent.

That fighting unfortunately left consumers caught in the middle between Netflix and ISPs as the quality of their video streams suffered and both Netflix and ISPs blamed each other. While Netflix has signed these paid peering agreements with ISPs, it is still arguing before the FCC and in the court of public opinion that these agreements violate the spirit of network neutrality.

http://gigaom.com/2014/08/19/netflix-is-now-paying-time-warner-cable-for-direct-access-and-faster-streams/

How about they piss off and make things work like it should? People are already paying for the bandwidth which they pay to the real owners of the lines, so make the damn internet work already. Throttling should be an illegal business practice.

Wonder if we could just completely overload the bandwidth to make downloads and other things clog up.

I'm just imagining Time Warner and Verizon being DDoS'd to hell and back.

It's a happy thought.

Throttling should be an illegal business practice.

Amen to that!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Well, TWC is owned by Comcast, so... Netflix is essentially paying them twice.

How I long to live in a community where the local government basically give these ISPs the finger and have their own community owned fiber network.

Comcast and Time Warner haven't merged yet, far as I know.

Oh, I guess not. But they're in the middle of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they still demanded the payments when they're merged, though.

If this was any other country I would say government intervention would fix the issue.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

American ISPs sure love there freedom.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

American ISPs sure love there freedom.

Their*

If this was any other country I would say government intervention would fix the issue.

Hell, if this was North Korea I would say governmental intervention would fix the issue.

I think it's time for all the tech people on youtube, nerds, gamers, and other intelligent people to just start a country in antarctica, require that you pass an IQ test to get in, and wait for the rest of these moronic apes to blow each other up. Linus and Slick for president/vicepresident for the first 10 years.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

netflix staph :(

pls netflix :(

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Tinfoil hat time children!

This is a completely obvious conspiracy. For several reasons. Now that Netflix has paid for higher speed, "net neutrality" is dead. It will never be coming back because if the FCC ruled that this was illegal, TWC would be open for a gigantic lawsuit, not to mention being guilty of a crime (it's similar to the whole chiquita banana thing holding up the ability of the 9/11 families to sue in court over their losses).

Anyways, this is what will happen. This will become more and more normal, and companies like netflix will have to charge more and more to their users in order to pay to keep the service going, until people start complaining or stop using the services, etc. Until things become so chaotic that "the government needs to step in and make the internet a public utility" thereby bypassing the patriot act, nsa snooping scandal, etc. and giving them direct access and control over any and all internet traffic in the country, which I don't need to tell you, is a VERY bad idea (government does everything 100% shit/nefarious). I for one would not be surprised if TWC was doing this specifically to create problems until people scream for the government to "fix things". Which we all know, ends up making them more expensive and worse.

The solution to this? Everyone drop netflix right now, cancel your account, bankrupt them. Show the ISP's that we are not fucking around, and that we the consumer will not tolerate this. I already cancelled mine and will not be getting another one until I see TWC in the newspapers being charged with fraud and or obtaining funds via illegal means. You might think I am crazy, but this is how things will play out, first it will be things like netflix, then youtube, then music, then the big one we all care about, GAMING. Imagine what will happen to Steam's wonderful pricing when they have to start paying extra because of all the "bandwidth" they use. *poof* gone.

Fuck this shit, fuck you TWC, fuck you netflix for caving in, and fuck you FCC for ruining another one of mankind's hopes and dreams.

^ I still suggest we overload the ISP's bandwidth, make it is as slow as possible for everyone else on the network, then the ISP's customer support should (hopefully?) be overloaded of all the calls of the slowdown, perhaps we could get some infrastructure upgrades . . . . . . . :ph34r::ph34r:

^ I still suggest we overload the ISP's bandwidth, make it is as slow as possible for everyone else on the network, then the ISP's customer support should (hopefully?) be overloaded of all the calls of the slowdown, perhaps we could get some infrastructure upgrades . . . . . . . :ph34r: :ph34r:

I like that idea. But where/how would you organize it?

Man.... At this rate we're probably going to be seeing another increase in the monthly subscription fee. :( 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

This is why this is all happening in the first place (and I freaking love this episode)

comcast-time-warner-cable-company-south-

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |