Will Console Gaming Ever Be Good

PaulKolby

Nah. The consoles will never catch up to the arcade. Just look at the Playstation port of Ridge Racer. Half the resolution and half the frame rate compared to the arcade version. Why would anyone want to play a shitty-looking and slow version of a game you can already play a superior version of at the local arcade? The consoles are more expensive too! 300 dollars for a Playstation? That's ridiculous. You could play a game several hundred times in the arcades for that price. And that's not even including the price of the console games. Some say home computer gaming is improving tremendously. But it'll never be a thing if you ask me. They're just too expensive and slow to be used for gaming.

Arcades also have the advantage of game developers being able to customize the controller and the cabinet according to the game being played. Can you even imagine playing a shooter without a physical gun? That's just not immersive or fun.

its good now

Its just not PC amazing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

• 2 weeks later...

Console gaming is good when you're playing something that you wouldn't normally get on PC.

Depends on what your definition of good is.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Being a console gamer most of the week (other than the weekends) I can say it isn't too bad. For some games, consoles are actually pretty good (Minecraft and Forza for example). Other games are just like... What the fuck were you thinking (Skylanders, not everyone keeps their console very close to where they play).

All depends on the genre, IMO.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I give it 5 -7 years and the hardware you can cram into a console will be almost as  good as any pc.  I say this because as everything gets better it also has a tendency to get smaller and cheaper. I would not be surprised if we are at the half way mark now and the gap starts to close from here.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Let's be honest here, the PS2 generation was awesome, and when the PS3 first launched it had the specs of high end PC's at the time.

The reason why this whole console peasant thing has sparked again is due to there fisrtly being a large gap between generations and also that the current 'next-gen' consoles run a mid range graphics card which doesn't really push the industry forward. PS3 sparked HD gaming (720p @ 30fps) and the PS4 should have sparked 4k IMO. Although a 1080p @ 60fps target is by no means bad, the fact that AAA titles run at freaking 792p @ 30fps, it's just not ground-breaking at all.

I don't think the console is ever going to catch up because I believe this will be last generation.

The last time I gamed on a console was like 6 years ago.

The console gaming industry isn't nearly as big as it used to be because of the fact most people who grew up with the release of consoles have grown up and don't have as much time/resources to spend on it.

As much as PC Gaming is great, Nintendo will still have a way to make themselves the exception. When I went to try out Smash Bros. U, I camped out the night before with 15 other groups. Some people had to wait in a line that wrapped around best buy 3 times, and was out the door. no matter how good PC gaming gets, you can never compare it to the joy and experience you get with Nintendo exclusives. Albeit I am kinda a Nintendo Diehard, and there is Dolphin Emulator. But unlike most games, Nintendo games are meant to be played an a Console and not PC.

• 4 weeks later...

Console gaming is "good", but PC gaming is even better. I find console games ti be sort of like buying a low budget gaming PC with less functions. I've also heard (and experienced) of the community being pretty toxic. Computers can have much more potential with more bindable keys, more functions like video editing/recording, more variety, and lots of other options. I don't have a problem with console gamers. Rather, I have problems with console gamers that say consoles are better. If you're just seeking to buy something, bring it home, and start to play within the same hour, a console is perfectly fine. But in my opinion, something like building a PC would prove to be a much more entertaining and worthwhile investment.

Because it isn't right now? The whole console vs PC discussion is dumb. The motto is and should always be: why not both? Obviously people who say console is better than PC are just stupid but that's not all that there is to it. Not everybody wants to spend $1500> on a killer PC to have 120 fps at 1440p or whatever else your poison is. There's a clear, huge market for people who don't feel the need for more than 60fps at 1080p, which is exactly what a PS4 will get you for $450. This includes console exclusives, more flexibility and mobility, highly optimized games (because companies recognize that console is where the real money is at) and less hassle for the not so tech savvy. People should get what they feel they need/can afford to have the gaming experience they're looking for.

While I will agree that consoles are more portable and easier to use for the average person, It isn't true that the PS4 can get 1080p 60fps in most situations.  For instance, the PS4 could only play watchdogs at 900p 30fps, Battlefield 4 at 900p 60 fps, Destiny at 1080p 30fps, Infamous 1080p 30 fps, and so on.Link to where I got these numbers (http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates). Keep in mind these are the resolutions and framerates stated by their developers. Also, not hating on consoles, I'm also in the mindset of why not both. Just getting the facts straight.

While I will agree that consoles are more portable and easier to use for the average person, It isn't true that the PS4 can get 1080p 60fps in most situations.  For instance, the PS4 could only play watchdogs at 900p 30fps, Battlefield 4 at 900p 60 fps, Destiny at 1080p 30fps, Infamous 1080p 30 fps, and so on.Link to where I got these numbers (http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates). Keep in mind these are the resolutions and framerates stated by their developers. Also, not hating on consoles, I'm also in the mindset of why not both. Just getting the facts straight.

I've seen that list. They aren't all there yet. I'm sure future games will be.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Console gaming IS good.

I prefer to play mostly on PC myself these days, but that doesn't mean I have to be totally blind to all the great games that come out every year for consoles. That would be dumb. I have an Xbox 360 on my desk next to my PC, and it's been a great system. Spent hundreds of hours on it, and the newer consoles are the same way.

Is it disappointing that both mainstream current-gen consoles are underpowered compared to our beastly rigs? Yes.

Does it mean console gaming isn't fun? Christ, no.

As someone who hasn't had a working console in over a year and had a brief return to PC gaming i hate to say both sides (at least for me) suck now there's just nothing worth playing anymore.

You must have been living under a rock. It's been good ever since the famicom launched. That's a solid 30+ years now. 

Btw, reported. Let's see, if the moderators will finally start doing their jobs. Otherwise it'll be of use should the topic of poor moderation ever come up again.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Consoles have exclusives. You can't play TLOU on PC. It's a great game, and I enjoy playing it, despite everything.

Console gaming is already great now. Yes graphics aren't as good as pc but visuals aren't important to me. The beauty with console is their plug and play nature. Great for a quick gaming session with a unified infrastructure. No need to coordinate with vent out something... It's all just there

When Sony makes something like the PS3 again. It was $600, but it was not a shit box. It was actually next-gen.

If you remember, people were making supercomputers with stacks of PS3s.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I spent endless hours on the Super Nintendo playing mostly Mario Cart and Zelda, then i moved onto N64 with 007, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark. Some of the best times ive had gaming  :)

I haven't had a great deal to do with consoles since but when i look at the graphics the PS4 pumps out when im watching youtube reviews im excited about the gap between console and PC closing up. 

When Sony makes something like the PS3 again. It was $600, but it was not a shit box. It was actually next-gen.

If you remember, people were making supercomputers with stacks of PS3s.

Dat 256MB ram though...

Dat 256MB ram though...

lol yet still has games like BF4 and AC Blackflag despite such limited ram. There is something to be said about locked down hardware if you can get those games running on a system with 256MB of system ram and 256MB of VRAM. Still surprises me how some forget about that...

Edit: Not saying it looks fantasic, but it runs :P