INTEL Pentium G3258 for gaming

I was wondering are the 2 cores in the Pentium enough for gaming after a good overclock around 4.5 ghz. And can you guys suggest some other CPU's in the same price bracket for gaming?

I was wondering are the 2 cores in the Pentium enough for gaming after a good overclock around 4.5 ghz. And can you guys suggest some other CPU's in the same price bracket for gaming?

Would do fine, if you dont have anything else open (skype, twitch, browser, ect)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

G3258 is highly overrated IMO. It needs quite an OC to be as powerful as a STOCK I5 4460.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

G3258 is highly overrated IMO. It needs quite an OC to be as powerful as a STOCK I5 4460.

Yeah.. .you're forgetting the price tag it's at...

Yeah.. .you're forgetting the price tag it's at...

I'm not forgetting it at all.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

For 75$, being able to run on z97 for broadwell or the new i5s/i7s and being a very cool chip, performance at 4.5ghz being really good... i say u cant go wrong unless ur doing major gaming as in 3 screens over 1080 while having broswers open when u game. linus just made a OC video over it

And a cooler twice the CPU price to get decent performance with it. lel

Don't know which processor you are referring to but a 212 EVO is $23 dollars and can OC it quite hard.

I'm not forgetting it at all.

You are... the Intel i5 4460 retails for roughly £130/$190 the Pentium which overclocks well even with a rubbish cooler and is very comparable to an i5 in most games is £45/$69.

You are... the Intel i5 4460 retails for roughly £130/$190 the Pentium which overclocks well even with a rubbish cooler and is very comparable to an i5 in most games is £45/$69.

I never said the I5-4460 was in the same price range so no I am NOT forgetting the price. Also with OC'ing the G3258 to match an I5-4460 you also need the luck of the draw in terms of OC potential. Also don't forget the reason the G3258 is so cheap is because less cores and they didn't really add the unlocking of the multiplier to the price. If we count of those then relative price tag is not as different as you might expect.

I never said the I5-4460 was in the same price range so no I am NOT forgetting the price. Also with OC'ing the G3258 to match an I5-4460 you also need the luck of the draw in terms of OC potential. Also don't forget the reason the G3258 is so cheap is because less cores and they didn't really add the unlocking of the multiplier to the price. If we count of those then relative price tag is not as different as you might expect.

It's the luck of the draw normally but 9/10 Pentium Anniversary's overclock like a bat out of hell 

It's the luck of the draw normally but 9/10 Pentium Anniversary's overclock like a bat out of hell 

9/10 means you can still get unlucky :D.

9/10 means you can still get unlucky :D.

but seeing as most games still these days dont even use all your cores, a quad core isnt 'needed' for entry level gaming at all. so yea the Pentium cant out 'cpu' a i5 but for the price it out value/performance's it 

i agree...and BTW you would need a 6.4ghz overclock on the pentium to match the 4460 and EVEN then the 4460 would still be better at anything that require 3 threads processing or more.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i agree...and BTW you would need a 6.4ghz overclock on the pentium to match the 4460 and EVEN then the 4460 would still be better at anything that require 3 threads processing or more.

but this thread is for GAMING... not anything else, and games dont even use hyper threading or anything like it yet, i have a anthlon x4 760k and i game fine on it which i wish this new pentium came out before i got my build because its way better and perfect for gamers on a budget.

but this thread is for GAMING... not anything else, and games dont even use hyper threading or anything like it yet, i have a anthlon x4 760k and i game fine on it which i wish this new pentium came out before i got my build because its way better and perfect for gamers on a budget.

a strong quad core is still much better for gaming as most games today use more than 2 threads...you would be surprised to see how the pentium isnt that much better than the athlon you have for gaming...theres a big hype around that chip because it's unlocked and it overclock well but the performance really arent nothing out of the ordinary you can't even play watchdogs on lowest settings with it and i'm sure your athlon can do that just fine.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

a strong quad core is still much better for gaming as most games today use more than 2 threads...you would be surprised to see how the pentium isnt that much better than the athlon you have for gaming...theres a big hype around that chip because it's unlocked and it overclock well but the performance really arent nothing out of the ordinary you can't even play watchdogs on lowest settings with it and i'm sure your athlon can do that just fine.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849.html

So uhm. yea ill leave this here

MOST of the games tested by them are single-threaded games and MANY of them where clearly in a GPU bound scenario, this is BAD testing at it's greatest...EPIC toms hardware failure stuff once again!

Just look at the BF4 and tomb raider results...you think it's normal that EVERY cpu tested perform within margin of error from each other?! also where do i see the athlon 760K wich is clocked quite a bit faster than the 750K and wich you could overclock mush higher as well?!..the pentium even overclocked is barely edging the 750K, let me tell you that in multi-threaded games an overclocked 760K will beat the pentium all day every day man.

The only games at wich the pentium will be noticeably better is old tech highly single-threaded games like WoW, ARMA, guild wars, Thief, EsO, Dayz...any ''modern'' game that use 3 or 4 or 6 threads the pentium won't stand a chance...and in todays world (remember we are mid 2014 ATM) MOST games use at least 3 or 4 main threads and they pretty much all can off load stuff to other available cores...the pentium isnt that much great of a gaming chip what so ever...there is a reason why it's only 70$.

MOST of the games tested by them are single-threaded games and MANY of them where clearly in a GPU bound scenario, this is BAD testing at it's greatest...EPIC toms hardware failure stuff once again!

Just look at the BF4 and tomb raider results...you think it's normal that EVERY cpu tested perform within margin of error from each other?! also where do i see the athlon 760K wich is clocked quite a bit faster than the 750K and wich you could overclock mush higher as well?!..the pentium even overclocked is barely edging the 750K, let me tell you that in multi-threaded games an overclocked 760K will beat the pentium all day every day man.

even in other tests that use other threads pentium is either ahead or barley behind, and show me 10 AAA games that use multi threads? and games nowadays dont use much of ur CPU its mostly GPU based unless the OP is a MMORPG gamer the pentium is perfect for gaming. duh a i5 beats a pentium thats just stupid to compare, but for half the price its perfect for gamers.

even in other tests that use other threads pentium is either ahead or barley behind, and show me 10 AAA games that use multi threads? and games nowadays dont use much of ur CPU its mostly GPU based unless the OP is a MMORPG gamer the pentium is perfect for gaming. duh a i5 beats a pentium thats just stupid to compare, but for half the price its perfect for gamers.

this is ALL just plain wrong buddy!

MMORPG is exactly where the pentium shine cause THOSE are the ONLY games pretty much that run's only a couple heavy threads! type of load at wich the pentium excel!

Modern games that use more than 2 threads:

Tomb Raider

BF3 and 4

crysis 3

Far cry 3

Max Payne 3

Hitman

Çompagny of heroes 2

Metro

Watchdogs

...the list goes on and on and on...MOST modern games DO use much more than only 2 threads mate ;)

I also i edited previous post after you quoted it you may want to re-read...

this is ALL just plain wrong buddy!

MMORPG is exactly where the pentium shine cause THOSE are the ONLY games pretty much that run's only a couple heavy threads! type of load at wich the pentium excel!

Modern games that use more than 2 threads:

Tomb Raider

BF3 and 4

crysis 3

Far cry 3

Max Payne 3

Hitman

Çompagny of heroes 2

Metro

Watchdogs

...the list goes on and on and on...MOST modern games DO use much more than only 2 threads mate ;)

I also i edited previous post after you quoted it you may want to re-read...

seeing how BF3/BF4 are in that test and the pentium win makes me wonder what ur talking about... also MMORPGs are CPU heavy games, not GPU heavy at all pretty positive thats been proven as well.....

seeing how BF3/BF4 are in that test and the pentium win makes me wonder what ur talking about... also MMORPGs are CPU heavy games, not GPU heavy at all pretty positive thats been proven as well.....

YES THEY are CPU heavy games BECAUSE they only run a couple of HEAVY threads...

AND BF4 results as i pointed out ALREADY seem to be GPU bound or something just look at the results all the CPU's tested performed WITHIN MARGIN OF ERROR FROM EACH OTHER WICH IS NOT NORMAL...

YES THEY are CPU heavy games BECAUSE they only run a couple of HEAVY threads...

AND BF4 results as i pointed out ALREADY seem to be GPU bound or something just look at the results all the CPU's tested performed WITHIN MARGIN OF ERROR FROM EACH OTHER WICH IS NOT NORMAL...

so if tomshardware is 100% wrong on there test, where are your tests to prove me wrong? cause you are just saying what u think is right when even linus did tests with the pentium vs a i7 and it kicked butt for a dual core. do some research then compare CPUs when it comes to gaming because games just dont use as much cpu anymore, theyre going more towards gpu and mantle is really pushing that. so go on, do some research

so if tomshardware is 100% wrong on there test, where are your tests to prove me wrong? cause you are just saying what u think is right when even linus did tests with the pentium vs a i7 and it kicked butt for a dual core. do some research then compare CPUs when it comes to gaming because games just dont use as much cpu anymore, theyre going more towards gpu and mantle is really pushing that. so go on, do some research

Right there, this is normal results for BF4 and other games:

Capture.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-pentium-g3258-review

Just look at how even a core i3 is better than the pentium in games even if pentium is clocked at 4.7GHZ

Capture.jpg

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8232/overclockable-pentium-anniversary-edition-review-the-intel-pentium-g3258-ae